SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#214083 - 08/27/02 10:57 PM which strings are better?
sunnycool Offline

Loc: india
I have a choice to make for putting new strings on my new acoustic Guitar.D'addario,Ernie Ball and Gibson.Which would be the best in the Phosphor Bronze variety?
Pls Advice
THX

#214084 - 08/28/02 07:02 AM Re: which strings are better?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I like the strings on Kurzweils best... they seem to have a lot of depth and stereo spread to them. Yamaha strings sound pretty good too at least on the 9000's I've heard, and Roland isn't too bad either for strings. I like strings on analog and FM synths the least.

#214085 - 08/28/02 08:27 AM Re: which strings are better?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Ernie Ball. Have used them for years.
If something works...Don't fix it.
I use the Ball's on all my guitars with the exception of my bass, for which I use Fender Black Flatwounds. http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/fastforward/

#214086 - 08/28/02 08:28 AM Re: which strings are better?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just another reason I play keyboard. Just press a button to change strings.
DonM

#214087 - 08/28/02 11:52 AM Re: which strings are better?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Elixier (spelling?) are the best, but also the highest priced at about $12 a set. They DO last longer, however - so that may offset the cost. taylor ships their guitars with these strings. My second choice is Martin or D'Addario - they both sound just fine for an average priced string.
Every guitar will have a certain "forgivness" for specific tone ranges ... you may need to try a dozen sets before you find the set that performes best on your guitar. Stop reading about strings, and go BUY some. My best advice? - Stop READING about strings, and start LISTENING to them ! You have to hear them onm the specific instrument. Wood has a life of it's own and it will respond differently to each brand you try.

#214088 - 08/28/02 04:14 PM Re: which strings are better?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I not only sell keyboards but also guitars. I love Elixir Strings. They sounds great and I've had a set on my Martin guitar for two years and they still sound great. What is so different about them is the polymer coating they use. It not only coates the top of the string but also in between the grooves of the string thus not getting dirt and grime in the string. This is why they last so long. Martin and D'Addario both offer strings with polymer coating. Martin calls them SP+ and D'Addario calls theirs EXP. I like the Elixir strings because they are not using Phosphor Bronze,which in my opinion are too bright. I prefer the 80/20 blend which is more a gold color rather than a Brass color (phosphor bronze). The 80/20 are a little mellower and the phosphor are brighter.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online