SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#156861 - 08/01/02 07:53 AM Best keyboard with country grooves?
dben Offline

Loc: Okanagan Falls, BC Canada
Hi
I am a newcomer to this forum. I sing and play steel guitar and other lead instruments. I need an auto accompaniement keyboard with good country grooves (walking bass a must) for my wife to trigger with a PK-5 midi bass pedal board while she plays rhythm guitar. What is my best choice in a pro keyboard?

------------------
dben

#156862 - 08/01/02 08:16 AM Re: Best keyboard with country grooves?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Welcome dben, I'm probably the guy that does the most country so I'll give my opinions.
Yamaha has the most diversity in their country styles. They have styles suitable for both older country and the new "rockin" country. As you may have read, the Yamaha styles are not that fancy, but they will let you lay down a solid country groove with good bass lines and drum patterns. The background style parts are tasteful and not overdone.
I'm currently playing the PSR2000, which, most of us agree, is probably the most value for the dollar of any keyboard. The 9000 is also a great keyboard, although it weighs a ton (51 pounds) and costs about 2.5 times as much as the 2000. It does offer hard drive capability where the 2K does not.
Ketron keyboards, such as the X1 (which I owned), the SD1 and the just-announced XD9, also have really good country styles. They are more intricate and syncopated than Yamaha. You will find styles to fit most any song and they sound really great. They are not as versatile (imo) as the Yamaha styles. In other words you can take a Country 8-beat 1 style on the PSR2000 and play many different songs with it, and the audience won't realize you're using the same style over and over. The Ketron styles are more recognizable, because they are more "filled-out". Hope this makes sense.
The Korg PA80, which I also owned, has a few great country styles, but is totally lacking an old-time walking bass country shuffle. It also lacks a regular "Good-hearted Woman"-type Shoddish. I had to create both of these myself when I had this keyboard.
Technics also has some great country styles, but they are also more orchestrated, as the Ketron styles are. I got away from Technics for other reasons, but had no problem with styles or sounds.
Having said all this, all the modern keyboards allow you to import and/or create your own styles. Particularly with Yamaha there are thousands of readily-available free styles that load right into the keyboard.
If you have any specific questions, I, or somebody else, will be happy to try to help.
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

P.S. Having reread your question, I really feel that the PSR2000 would be a great choice for you. It is light-weight and easy to use. One of the criticisms of it is that the key feel is light (some same flimsy!) and that it might not hold up to regular pounding of the keys very long. As you will not even be playing the keys, it would see a really good choice.
Another avenue might be to get a module instead of a keyboard. I don't have much experience with them, but the consensus seems to be the Ketron makes the best ones.

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-01-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online