SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#102706 - 04/01/01 01:57 AM PSR9000 & sampling
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I havenīt much used the sampling/file import features on the PSR9000 but I would like to start using them more. Sampling was one of the reasons why I upgraded from the PSR4000 which was my previous keyboard. One reason why I havenīt much used these features is that I donīt know much about them.

I have heard that there are many many waw and aiff sample files on the internet but where? I would be very interested especially of brass, woodwind and piano sounds but other samples are also welcome. Where can I find them and what about sample CDs? I asked of my dealer about them but he just told me that they donīt have sample CDs because people donīt much buy them anymore. One reason for this is that they are very expensive. But I could buy a sample CD if they have the sounds that I need. What I really want is the Steinway piano sound in my keyboard. But also some special woodwind sounds like altto flute, sopranino sax, bass clarinet and so on. If I find a sample CD that has these kind of sounds then is the PSR9000 capable of reading them? But where can I find sample CDs with these kind of sounds?

Once I had a chance to play a Steinway grand piano and I also had my keyboard with me in the place where the Steinway was and I wanted to sample it to my keyboards. But I decided not to do it because I didnīt know how to do it. How to mike the instrument, what notes to sample and so on. I would like to learn all these things but where can I find information about sampling and how to sample. I donīt know even the basics. I would be very grateful I someone could help me with this.

Micco

#102707 - 04/01/01 05:48 PM Re: PSR9000 & sampling
Jupiter5 Offline

Hi Micco,

I haven't got a Yamaha 9000, but I too would like to know the possibilities (and limitations) of the sampler, as I may take the plunge soon on a pro 9000. You can load From CD rom, but it must be ISO9660 I understand >>>>> http://www.synthworld.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/001461.html <<<<<<<<<

Also, I read somewhere that you will have to use a *SCSI CD writer*, and a "normal" SCSI cd rom (non writable) won't load files, but I may be wrong on this. The 9000 will do multi sampling, but i think it is different to that of dedicated samplers I think. When you resample, it must be a lower frequency each time you do it (44kh to 22khz, to 11khz etc)so Loading a Steinway Grand Piano on a Yamaha 9000 seems to be asking a lot I would say, but if someone can prove me wrong..........

On my Yamaha A4000 sampler, a good Solo sound like the Cello, can use as much as 8-9MB of RAM - and that is just for the one sample. I load these from a SCSI CD ROM (non rewritable), but the sound is super. Although the Sampler on the 9000 is Mono, it is still a useful tool for adding sound effects, loops, voice sound etc, but since a Solo Clarinet, for example, has many different samples allocated to it on the keyboard (like mapping), then I would be surprised if you could achieve something like this on the Yamaha 9000 - but again........someone prove me wrong.....

I haven't heard a lot of discussions on the Yamaha 9000 sampler it has to be said, so does that mean it is not very good? - not as good as the solton X1 sampler? - Korg Triton?. The Korg Triton can't Multi sample (pitch convert, tempo change - without losing the actual pitch) either I don't think, but not sure about the X1 (or the new SD1 for that matter).

I would like to hear a lot more about the sampler on the Yamaha 9000, and see if it's worth getting rid of my Yamaha A4000 to help me pay for a Yamaha 9000 pro The Sampler on the 9000 won't be as good my A4000 (and wouldn't expect it to be), but if it's good enough to get some decent sounds into your keyboard, then i would consider getting rid of the A4000. Talking of the sounds you would like to sample "Flute, Clarinet, Saxaphone, and Piano - well....aren't these already superior on the PSR 9000?, and why would you want to replace a Stereo "Sweet Flute" sample with a Mono one?. you could load one in I suppose, but I wouldn't have thought the results would get the on-board Flute/Clarinets/Sax's "worried".....but then again....someone prove me wrong

Tony

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 04-01-2001).]

#102708 - 07/04/02 03:12 PM Re: PSR9000 & sampling
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jupiter5:
[B]Hi Micco,

I haven't got a Yamaha 9000, then again....someone prove me wrong

Tony
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jupiter 5
I see at last you agree that you are Tony how about coming clean on all the others & stop waffling on
Johnnie

[

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online