SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#161474 - 03/28/02 01:37 AM New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I was looking through my recent issue of keyboard magazine and saw they had several pics of the Genesys from GeneralMusic. As far as features I would say this is an impressive keyboard, however THIS THING IS HUGE!!!!!!!! Has anyone taken a close look and seen the depth and height of the keyboard? Is this supposed to be considered a portable keyboard? If so who would actually lug it around and where on earth would you find a case for something like that....????
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#161475 - 03/28/02 02:23 AM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi squeak-D,
Anyway you could post a picture or a link as to were I could get spec`s and size.
Thanks,
jedi

#161476 - 03/28/02 09:34 AM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
philGM Offline

Loc: Austin TX US
Go to http://home.att.net/~philgeneralmusic/page2.htm and follw the link to the Genesys PDF and specs pages.

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
Hi squeak-D,
Anyway you could post a picture or a link as to were I could get spec`s and size.
Thanks,
jedi

#161477 - 03/28/02 09:48 AM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
technicsplayer Offline

strangely the Genesys is sold in Germany and Austria as a Solton SG-1, with differences in the sounds and styles to suit the German market.

It is huge, and not meant to be gigged, unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Its 1.2 metres long 40 cm deep and 22 cm tall and weighs 22kg depending on options installed ie nearly 50 lbs.

#161478 - 03/28/02 10:23 AM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Jedi:
I saw the GEM Genesis in person at the NAMM show, and though it is a bit large for my taste, it didn't appear to be any larger (or heavier) than the Yamaha PSR9000 or Yamaha 9000pro. You can checkout the pics I took of the GEM Genesis on my website: http://scottyee.com
* then click the 'Pictures' page link.

These pics should hopefully give you a better idea of it's actual size. - Scott

TechnicsPlayer (Alec Pagida):

Interesting to read that the Genesis (Genesys?) will carry the Solton SG-1 title in Germany. This is really confusing as Ketron-Solton already produces the legendary SD-1. Do I see a impending lawsuit with GEM using practically the SAME name (Solton SG-1 vs Ketron Solton SD-1) on their keyboard now?! Perhaps DanO can provide some input here. - Scott

#161479 - 03/28/02 10:32 AM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like the way the speakers face the player. I've noticed on the PSR2000 that you have to lean forward over the keyboard to really use them very well as monitors.
I'm afraid I've gotten spoiled to 20-pound keyboards though.
DonM

#161480 - 03/28/02 11:05 AM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
Dnj Offline

why don't manufacturers see that we the users of these arranger keyboards would like to see the trend go in the LIGHTWEIGHT Direction WITHOUT losing all the quality features we need and want? It seems they just don't get it, or want to? Just repackaging the same old stuff for years.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-28-2002).]

#161481 - 03/28/02 12:21 PM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Thank`s to philGM and Scott for the "links" to get more info on "Genesys"
jedi

#161482 - 03/28/02 12:54 PM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Allthough I agree lightweight is preferable, in my opinion it is unreal to expect heavy duty gear without weight. These keyboards are not produced in large numbers like cars, so any weight reduction will most likely cause less durability. ( look at you all complaining about the bad keys of the psr 2000 )

The only way to produce light weight/heavy duty is the use of new composit materials which would require very large investments and probably double the price of the boards

Now for the pro users transporting a lot by themselves (mmm where are the times of roadies.. ) I understand and agree any weight reduction is great, but what happens with your keyboard after a year of heavy duty usage? You sell it! In fact you sell it before it is garbage..! These boards have another life with the second and maybe third user... The producers know this and also know that a starter will probably buy a new board from the same brand if it is durable.

My personal opinion is that it has improved a lot.
(remember.. carrying hammonds(cut in two pieces) and leslie's , heavy fenders etc...and I do hate it still)

#161483 - 03/28/02 01:09 PM Re: New Genesys... Wow it's HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
NO one I know would complain about a price increase if the features that are really important were installed, and WORKED!
If the psr2000 had better keys, no bugs, and some sort of expanded storage medium (other than antique floppies)it would be well worth a few hundred more dollars. Get it to perform as well as the 9kro, and keep the weight down, and I'd pay double for it.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online