SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#194238 - 02/04/02 06:12 AM What to do with gear
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Do you guys haul your gear in and out of the house after every gig? Or do you leave it in the car over night for the next gig?

What I'm concerned about is the cold. Do you haul the gear in if it is going to drop to a certain temperature? Is the cold detrimental to the electronics?

Can the speakers be handled differently than a powered mixer etc ?

I just got to thinking about how much the neighbors and especially the wife will take to all the noise of opening and closing car and house doors in the middle of the night.

I don't think Scott has this problen in SF. I know in the Monterey Bay area it doesn't get very cold very often. Nor does it get hot very often. What a paradise. But I'll never be able to afford $1250 a month for a Studio Apartment there.

I think everyone in California is rich. Ha! Ha! Just a joke Scott!!

#194239 - 02/04/02 08:09 AM Re: What to do with gear
Anonymous
Unregistered

Extreme cold, heat and dampness are not your keyboard's friends. I would, at least, bring in the keyboard at night.

Eddie

#194240 - 02/04/02 08:31 AM Re: What to do with gear
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Move back to Louisiana, Boo. The cold won't hurt it here, but in the summer, the heat does.
I would never leave my keyboard in the car for very long. Heat is really bad for it, and it might get stolen.
When I used JBL Eon speakers, there was a warning included with them that said to not leave them in extreme temperatures.
Don

#194241 - 02/04/02 08:38 AM Re: What to do with gear
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Boo,
It actually DID snow here a week ago, at least a couple of snowflakes anyway . Quite a record for California though. Now, if I could only find that 'priceless' painting TonyW says I have up in my attic, maybe I could become rich too. Still looking

#194242 - 02/04/02 08:55 AM Re: What to do with gear
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
OK, OK - you missed the joke entirely ! It's not about a "priceless" painting - it's a reference to that old mystery movie where the painting in the attic aged, but the person didn't ! I forget the actor, maybe Vincent Price? C'mon - who remembers this movie ????

#194243 - 02/04/02 09:03 AM Re: What to do with gear
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I agree. Heat and cold are not good things for our boards. Display LCDs don't respond well at all to extreme temps, and sometimes just wont work at all when they get too cold. I made the mistake many years ago of leaving my old Technics board in the car on a day it was a bit too warm. The padding under the keys was compromised and after that, when I played the thing it was like playing plastic on plastic. Moisture is another killer. Contacts rust very easily. I would try to avoid leaving my keys exposed to extreme temps ( either way ) at all costs Boo.

"Korg" AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 02-04-2002).]

#194244 - 02/04/02 09:10 AM Re: What to do with gear
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Boo,

I know exactly what you mean. You get home from a job and it is 2am and you would like to just leave the stuff in the car until morning. We don't have the ideal climate here like Don and Scott do. We have extreem variations form 0 a few times in the winter to 95 a few times in summer. I always left my organ and amps in the trailer when I hauled around an organ. I often might leave my speakers, mikes, cables, and amps in the car overnight till next morning but I NEVER leave my keyboard out in these extreem temperatures.

In theory (and I'm speaking as an ex organ tech), the keyboard is no more fragil than your car radio or the computer that controls the ignition in your car. That was before built in hard disk drives and LCD displays. I just wouldn't do it. You get condensation when going from cold to hot. You get expansion and contraction going from cold to hot or the other way. This can stress solder joints and connections on the circuit boards.

Boo, you can leave the other stuff out till morning but bring in your keyboard. Put it next to you in bed and keep it warm.

Tom

Tom

#194245 - 02/04/02 10:35 AM Re: What to do with gear
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Boo .. Long exposure to extreme temps is a definite no-no ... I am not sure if my kn6 came with such a warning, but I'm almost positive the HD did .... I remember when I played Cordovox (anyone else remember those?), if I left the main unit in the car overnight for the next gig, when I plugged it in ALL the notes would sound and I would have to take a hair blower to the panel to dry it out ...
t.

#194246 - 02/04/02 11:20 AM Re: What to do with gear
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
OK, OK - you missed the joke entirely ! It's not about a "priceless" painting - it's a reference to that old mystery movie where the painting in the attic aged, but the person didn't ! I forget the actor, maybe Vincent Price? C'mon - who remembers this movie ????

This movie seems to be inspired by a novel written by Oscar Wilde (I don't know the original title, but has to be something like "The portrait of Dorian Gray").

#194247 - 02/04/02 01:24 PM Re: What to do with gear
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Tony Mads USA
I remember the Cordovox I had one, don't
remember the model # but it was the first one
that had everything in one box.
A great machine but I had quite a bit of
trouble with mine. Had it for about 2 yrs.
then got rid of it.
Must have been around 1977 I think !!!!!!
NOT!!!Enjoying the 9000 PRO as much these days
Denny

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online