SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#103801 - 12/18/01 05:30 PM PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
One of the limitations of using the Registration Memory Bank to store just the voices (custom instrument-voice setups) to be used with any style, is that it isn't possible to store customized 'left voice' settings without saving a 'specific style' as well. Even the PSR2000's Freeze parameter feature can't solve the problem because the 'left voice' is directly linked to the 'style'.

Here's a TRICK I recently discovered which overcomes the problem. I hope you all figure this out from what I'm saying below, because if you can't , I won't answer any emails requesting more detail or clarification. This was originally intended to be a little secret I had planned to 'only' reveal in my upcoming book next year, but since I've discovered a few other secrets along the way , I thought this one might be a little teaser to entice your interest in my book. If you can't figure it out from reading below, you'll just have to wait for the book to come out. Unfortunately I won't have time to start writing it till January 2002.

As I had mentioned earlier, in Registration Memory, the 'left voice' setting is actually stored with the Reg Memory content's 'style' checkbox, not with the Reg Memory contents 'voice' checkbox as you would normally expect. If in Reg Memory Contents, you check the box 'Style', this will not only save the left voice, but will also lock you into hearing the 'one' style which was saved in that reg memory button as well. Since you want to be able to use these custom voice setups for any/all styles, this won't work. If you don't store the style though, you end up not being able to save the custom 'left panel voice' either. Quite a dilemma, right?! That was until . . . I experimented and discovered this terrific solution . . .

In Registration Memory, I save (in Reg Memory Contents) both the 'style' and 'voices' and assign a 'left' part voice for each of the 8 Reg Memories as well. To be able to use these 8 custom voice registrations (including the 8 different left voices) with 'any' style, I first take any style and copy it into the PSR2000's User Style Memory area. I then 'rename' it something like 'blank'. I also recommend turning down the volume of the accomp style part and resaving the style again. Then I go back to the registsration bank and re-save all my custom setups (main,layer,left part) including this new 'blank' titled style. Now, go and DELETE the style named 'blank' completely from the PSR's USER Style Memory.

You can now load ANY style along with the newly created Registration Bank of custom instrument (voice) setups and be able to use all 8 of your custom LEFT voicings as well. How? The Registration Bank looks for the style named 'blank' , can't find it and gives up, letting you load ANY style you want instead, yet still recalls the 8 different LEFT voice part settings you made, as you switch from registration button to reg button.

- Scott http://scottyee.com

#103802 - 12/18/01 09:21 PM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Beakybird Offline

I don't need this function, but I am truly amazed at your craftiness, Scott. I want to get an autographed copy of the book, because I know that I will be able to auction it off someday for at least the price I could fetch if I had a bit of Buddy Holly's belly button lint.

Larry

#103803 - 12/19/01 07:41 AM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Scott, I tried out your method and it works like a charm. I put a variety of "left hand" voices in the 8 registrations as well as 8 different main and layer voices. Now, if I have freeze off, I can pick any of the 8 left voices, push the freeze button to turn it on and freeze that left hand voice (along with the style), and then pick any of the 8 registrations to go along with it.

I might alter the suggested steps however by adding one more step. After setting up your "Blank" style, save it to floppy. You will need to delete it from registration memory to have this work as Scott suggests. But if you didn't quite get your registration voices right and want to revise them, you'll need that "Blank" style again. In this case, copy it form the floppy to user area, make your changes and save your revised registration, and then delete it from user memory again. You would also need it if you want to make another set of 8 registration buttons with the same properties, but different voice combinations.

#103804 - 12/19/01 08:00 AM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Scottyee Offline

Joe, That's RIGHT ! I actually devote an entire floppy diskette just for that 'one' blank titled style. This way I can always quickly locate/load it whenever I want to 'edit' any Reg Memory Banks which require this 'blank' style.

#103805 - 12/20/01 02:37 AM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
I guess I WILL have to buy a PSR 2000 just to be able to take advantage of all those tips!
(...or maybe you could buy a VA 7... )
Keep up the good work!
Andrea

#103806 - 12/20/01 04:53 AM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
naziz Offline

Loc: liverpool, Uk
Where do you get these message icons which does not appeare on the reply posting page.
N Aziz

#103807 - 12/20/01 04:54 AM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Rodrigues Offline

Loc: Portugal
Scott,

May be the PSR 2000 software version is different. No problem on mine.

On my PSR 2000 I have no problem to make Registrations Memory with Left, Layer and Main voice (only) and after use this Regist with several styles. This is, I change from e.g. Regist 1 to Regist 2, without PSR 2000 changes the style, or I change the Style without change the Regist.
For that, only I don't check the box "Style" in Regist Memory Contents.
It works properly.

So I guess the software version it's not the same.

Carlos Rodrigues

#103808 - 12/20/01 05:41 AM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Naziz,
once you are in the message reply page, on the left you will find the "smilies legend"; if you click on the link you can learn which letters you have to type to get the corresponding smiley, like:

Are you still ???
Andrea
[img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 12-20-2001).]

#103809 - 12/20/01 05:45 AM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Beakybird Offline

You're lucky Carlos. My keyboard is like Scott's.

Larry

#103810 - 12/20/01 09:02 AM Re: PSR2000 Secret Revealed !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Rodrigues:
Scott,
May be the PSR 2000 software version is different. No problem on mine.

Hi Carlos,

My PSR2000's 'main program' software version reads: 1.00, not 1.10 as yours does. All the other OS version settings are identical to yours. It's now becoming apparent that some (all?) of the PSR2000's sold in the the USA (Uncle Dave's, Don Mason's, Larry
Levin's, and mine) came with an older 'Main Program' version.

It appears that the Memory Registration Bank 'fingering mode' save
issue and "the ability to save the 'left voice' without having to tie
it to a specific style" has been addressed & fixed with Main Program version

Now I just need to figure out 'how' I can obtain a copy of your more
recent 1.10 'main program'. Any ideas?

Attention PSR2000 owners! You can all easily check your PSR2000's OS version by pressing/holding C#2, F2, G#2 simultaneously (C#maj triad chord) while turning on the keyboard. Use Tempo + / - and Star/Stop (Accompaniment) buttons to perform the various tests. It will be interesting to get OS version report findings from other PSR2000 owners : Dave Mason, Bluesplayer AJ, Uncle Dave, Beakybird Larry, Joe Waters, Linda Fus, Nobby, Mr Bulk, ohHenry, and other PSR2000 owners out there too.

Carlos' PSR2000 OS version reads:
Main Boot: 1.03
Main Proram 1.10
All others (BMP,Style,etc): 1.00

My PSR2000 OS version reads:
Main Boot: 1.03
Main Proram 1.00
All others (BMP,Style,etc): 1.00

Carlos, MANY thanks for providing the instructions on 'how to' display the PSR2000's OS version.

- Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online