SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132711 - 11/09/01 02:18 PM built in harmonizers can't compare
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've had plenty of time to evaluate the good/bad of built-in vocal harmonizers, and I have come to the conclusion that NONE of them (including the 9kpro & Ketron) can duplicate the performance that I get from a stand alone unit.
The problem seems to be rooted in a connection to the notes played, whether by fingers or arrangers. On previous Digitech & Korg models, the chord played would simply trigger a midi command that the harmonizer "read" and interpreted as certain notes. On the built-in units, there is always an ON/OFF command that needs to be activated with the button (or FS). This prohibits the use of fast IN & OUT hits of harmony. For anything that's important - I NEED to bring the dedicated unit from now on. Nursing homes get the boxed version.

#132712 - 12/10/01 01:27 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Hi Uncle Dave, everyone else. Nigel had an oops, so some posts ended up in odd places. So I'm bumping this one.

#132713 - 12/10/01 02:43 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Luka Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Hi Uncle Dave!
I paid attention to your post because I'm interested in what extra functions and advantages have external over internal vocoder units.
SD1 is my first connection to vocoders ever and I'm very happy with it, it's a great tool to improve arrangements . I don't miss any functionality because I simply don't know what else to expect from a vocoder.
If you are willing to put down few features to explain, what can I benefit with external unit, I'll be gratefull. Which model should I test?
Thanks.
Luka

#132714 - 12/10/01 07:03 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Mistered41 Offline

Dave,

I would be very interested in the diffences between the 9000 and an external harmonizer. What external brand would you recommend?

Thanks
Ed

#132715 - 12/10/01 12:52 PM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Uncle Dave Offline

Well, I've stated before that I tend to use the harmonies more as a "feature" of the group sound than a backup. I am going for that "Four Freshman" / "Manhattan Transfer" type of sound. For that reason, and coupled with the fact that I still play a lot of left hand manual bass parts - I NEED to trigger the harmonies from my right hand. ALWAYS. It's simply a must have, and NOT an option.

The Ketron is the closest to the Digitech system in this regard because it can recognize chord structures from ANY area of the keyboard. The trouble with Solton is that the harmony notes will shut off as polyphony is exceeded too. I want a simple chord signal to be sent out to trigger the harmonies. I don't want the actual notes played to do the work.The Yamaha system can follow either side of the keyboard split, but ONLY in vocoder mode in the right hand. That is too limiting because I can't always finger the exact voicing I want the voices to play without affecting the kb sound. Korg will only follow the arranger side of the board - no matter what. (yuk)
A sequence user can pre-record the needed harmonies into a track (like the Tune1000 products), but that has always been an option, and is not hard to do.

S0 - what does all this really mean to a singer?
For starters - it limits how the chords need to be played on the kb.
Next, it makes it impossible for a "harmony solo" over drum accmp. only because the arranger notes need to trigger the harmonies. Think of Doby Gray's
"Drift away" - I like to open up the chorus section as an accepella feature, and this can't be done on the 9k without holding the chords down.
The way the Digitech works - it simply receives a chord on a specified midi ch, and holds that chord till a new one is sent. The on/off sw brings in the harmony voices, and all's right with the world. Very smooth, and the voices are always ready when needed. On The Yamaha, sometimes they need a split second to recognise the chord after the on/off sw is pressed - very noticable - can't deal with lags in performance.
In the Yamaha line, the vocoder method is too restricting to my chord voicings, and the vocal notes drop off if the sustain pedal is not held down forever. That makes for a very MUDDY kb sound.

If you're vocal needs are simple, and you are not a fussy singer, then the on-board units can help by thickening up a lead. If you are a serious singer, who wants to really "showcase" the harmony arrangements - the kb versions are still a step behind the leaders. Digitech is a great choice for value, and I've read that the Helicon unit is also great, but expensive. (and it's a two space rack unit)

I've been using the harmonizers since they first came out, and I have been very happy with the way they worked. This new add on unit is a small convienience, but at a serious cost. I can't reccomend the "built-in" over the "stand-alone" unless you allow for loss of quality. I'm pretty fussy about the vocals, and I don't like to cut corners where my voice is concerned. It's the priority of ALL my shows, and that's why I am so fussy about it. If your vocal styling needs are not as important to you - the built in units are an OK tool. Far better than nothing at all.

#132716 - 12/11/01 05:48 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
Ofcourse this is true, how can a $2000,-- keyboard include the quality of a $1500,-- vocal Harmonizer.

I think most of the pro's will always use a separate box.

Just my humble opinion.

#132717 - 12/11/01 07:26 AM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Uncle Dave Offline

Just for the record, the Digitech "Vocalist Access" only costs around $300-400. There are lots of choices UNDER $500 that are superior to the "on board" units. The only real high end one that I know of is the Helicon, and that's not in my future bause of size. (2 rack spaces)I's not even a great studio piece because it only has TWO outputs!
The psr2k is a giant compromise all the way, but at the price it sells for - it's a fabulous buy for the giging musician, or the serious hobbyist.

#132718 - 12/11/01 04:07 PM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The harmonizer on the PSR2000 suits my needs just fine. I use it to do one or two-part harmony with my vocals. Occasionally I will use the larger group settings.
I guess since I do make a decent living playing music with it, then that makes one pro who doesn't fit the norm.
DonM

#132719 - 12/11/01 04:23 PM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Beakybird Offline

Same here. I'm very satisfied with the PSR2000's vocal harmonizer, and I make a decent living with music. Obviously, the vocal harmonizer doesn't suit Uncle Dave's or Scott Yee's needs for large venues. The quality of the harmonies is A-1, but it sounds like the rack-harmonizer has certain features that the onboard harmonizer doesn't have.

If you don't use a volume pedal, you could use a sustain pedal to activate the vocal harmonizer. I use a sustain pedal to activate the voice harmony/echo button. If both pedals are taken up, I wonder if the MFC10 could activate the harmonizer on/off button.

Larry

#132720 - 12/11/01 05:24 PM Re: built in harmonizers can't compare
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Larry,

Actually, I too think the PSR2000's harmonizer is pretty decent sounding. It is only when you do an actual A/B comparison with the Digitech standalone unit that you hear the difference. It's also important to remember to keep the harmony volumes lower than yours and avoid pushing the harmony pitchs to extremes. Afterall, the harmonies are not meant to be a replacement to your voice, just an added backup.

Unless the PSR2000's harmonizer's on/off function is supported via a midi 'control change' command, I don't think it will be possible to get the MCF10 to trigger it. I don't even know if the 2000's harmonizer on/off feature is even supported by SysEx. The answer to this can be found in the PSR2000 Data List book, but even if it did, you would have to send the SysEx via your computer via midi to the MCF10 as the PSR2000 itself does not support SysEX command templates like the PSR9000. I use the MCF10 to trigger the arranger's basic functions: start,stop, main: a,b,c,d (and associated fill ins), intro 1,2, ending 1,2. I use one of the two PSR2000's single footswitches to trigger harmony on/off and the other for piano sustain. That makes a total of 12 pedals. eeek. That's enough to keep my feet occupied.

Even though I only take the MFC10 out for the larger venues (it is a bit bulky to transport) , it really can make a BIG difference in the your overall performance because it allows you to focus BOTH hands on playing the keyboard while allowing you to trigger fillls (with your foot) at just the right moment(s).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online