SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#88596 - 11/20/09 12:30 PM So little can help so much!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Again, I have the priviledge of working with my friends Taike, Nok and Mapanoy in sponsoring a deserving Monk in Laos complete law school.

Thing is, an entire year of law school is less than one night's revenue from playing three hours at an upscale restaurant ($240.00).

Sometimes, it's the little gestures that can make a tremendous difference in not only a person's future, but in assisting in the formation of valued productive citizens. This young man is one we've been involved with as an undergraduate. He has written a heartfelt letter of appreciation in the past.

It is my honor to help out. And I'm happy to be involved in such a cause with my new "extended family".

The opportunities to help are everywhere and often take nothing more than a little time on our part.

We can all make a difference if we just make it a priority.

And doing so does as much for us as the ones we assist.

Russ

#88597 - 11/21/09 05:42 PM Re: So little can help so much!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Again, I have the priviledge of working with my friends Taike, Nok and Mapanoy in sponsoring a deserving Monk in Laos complete law school.

Russ, it's always a pleasure knowing that a monk -in this case, Monk Noy- can rely on your kindness and generosity.

Thing is, an entire year of law school is less than one night's revenue from playing three hours at an upscale restaurant ($240.00).

Sometimes, it's the little gestures that can make a tremendous difference in not only a person's future, but in assisting in the formation of valued productive citizens. This young man is one we've been involved with as an undergraduate. He has written a heartfelt letter of appreciation in the past.

Monk Noy's father passed away a year or two ago so life's been hard for his mother and siblings.

It is my honor to help out. And I'm happy to be involved in such a cause with my new "extended family".

The opportunities to help are everywhere and often take nothing more than a little time on our part.

We can all make a difference if we just make it a priority.

And doing so does as much for us as the ones we assist.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Your previous sponsorship paid for Monk Noy's English lessons. He's now in his first year studying Law. It's a 4-year program.

Nok will visit the temple again and provide me (you) with some more information. From what she's told me so far, Monk Noy is a very dedicated student. I can attest to this as well from my many talks with him.

Monk Sivilay, my friend and brother, left the temple (after 8 years?)when he graduated and is now a productive member of society. I'd sponsored him for the last three years. I am now looking for someone else to sponsor.

In a way, you not only sponsor a monk but his entire family since it takes an enormous burden off their shoulders. Your kindness will be repaid in so many ways plus you'll always hold a special place in the hearts of his family.

Lao Buddhist are very devout and almost every Lao man joins a monastery, or temple, for at least a short period of time. Many men also become monks for the rest of their lives. Most people donate food to the monks to gain merit and improve their karma. The temples of Laos were once seen as "Universities" for monks. Lao monks are highly respected and revered in Lao communities.(WP)

If anyone else is interested in sponsoring a novice or monk, please let me know.
http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/1706

Russ, I hope to tell you more on Monday or the following days.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online