SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#85442 - 12/24/05 05:28 AM Studio Monitors. Active or Passive?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi all!
Happy holidays to everyone.
I have a non-holiday related question. Sorry if my timing is bad.

Okay so it breaks down like this:
I have used self powered studio monitors all my life. Never used passive monitors for professional studio work really. So I have nothing to compare to. NOt from experience that is.

Right now I want to get a 5.1 surround setup for my main control room and the new Tannoy 5.1 package looks pretty good. Now, the only thing I'm uncertain about is whether I should spend the big bucks and get the self powered version or simply get a passive 5.1 set and a decent amplifier.

According to every tech I ever talked to about this (All of my self powered speakers only lasted me for about 2-3 years tops and after that they were in and out of the shop on regular bases.) claimed that the self powered monitors are generally less reliable and don't last as long as the passive systems (provided of coarse both are treated well).

On the other hand every sales rep I ever mentioned it to swore on their mother's grave that the self powered studio monitors sound way way way way better than the pasive ones.

So what's the deal> What's your experience with that stuff?

-ED-

#85443 - 12/24/05 09:45 AM Re: Studio Monitors. Active or Passive?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
A Passive Monitor quality is reliant on how good the signal is generated from the amplifier, and this quality will vary depending on amplifier used.

A Self Powered Monitor has the major benefit that the built in amplifier can be designed with the speaker drivers performance in mind, so they act in partnership to provide a combined performance.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 01-09-2006).]

#85444 - 12/24/05 10:39 AM Re: Studio Monitors. Active or Passive?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I still have here in the studio and still working Self powered monitors that are 25 years old and are just as good as the day they were bought. I have had only 1 pot replaced in this pair of stereo monitors.
they were built by JVC back when. I seldom use them anymore but would not part with them.
I have a pair of Peavy KB100's that are a few years old and never a problem.
I have a Motion Sound KP200s never a problem.
Bear in mind that these units have been transported in the van or the motorhome a lot of times. they are all built like a tank.
I also have the logitech system and it is fairly new but works great.

Bebop

#85445 - 12/25/05 11:08 AM Re: Studio Monitors. Active or Passive?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hello, ED! I'm back in country!

I've never used active systems - only passive systems. I think it can't be good that the power speaker of a 100 watts system is close to the amplifier which will amplify the magnetic pollution as an interference signal added to the original signal.
On the other hand a passive system needs less cables and the system power operates at the same level. But at the end it all depends on what you want to get and what you like prefer...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#85446 - 01/09/06 09:41 AM Re: Studio Monitors. Active or Passive?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Thanks guys,
So far I think I've decided to go with self powered setup. Not sure if it wil be Tannoy this time since I find their service a bit sluggish and definitely expensive. A lot of their techs are board swappers too. The latest repair just cost me over $500 and most folks spend that on a whole speaker setup. Just trying to figure out if it's worth spending the big bucks this time. I've done some of my best work mixing and recording using really shitty Hi-Fi systems for monitoring so I'm not a firm believer in solving the speaker issues by just throwing money at it and going with popular brand names.

Although I have to admit. I love the 600A series. Too damn bad Tannoy have discontinued them and cranked up the service fees.

Still building that studio. Control room wil be ready in a week. Nothing fancy but it's better than nothing at all.

Hope all of ya are well!

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online