SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#413670 - 12/26/15 12:20 PM A problem for YOUNGER Players....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
As the new year approaches, I'M TIRED!

The last 6 months have involved playing up to 6 dinner gigs, at least one 30 hour studio gig per week, and an occasional church, Philharmonic or other sideman gig (I enjoy that). Those thirty straight hour jobs are KILLERS, because they have to be done as the footage is edited, and must be shown at a major marketing meeting on Tuesday morning.

Plus, I travel to Dubai regularly and do lots of the things listed below. DAMN, I love to do it all.

I think one has to go. If I drop live play, I'll probably add 15 production hours...small studio "clean-ups" or low end broadcast pieces. BUT, there will be no interaction with people (customers).

Money-wise, a national 30 hour studio sound score gig pays about three times (sometimes more, with residuals) more than 6 four hour dinner gigs.

The great conundrum in my life has always been, the fun stuff doesn't pay, and sometimes, the hard, boring stuff "knocks it out o the park".

The most satisfying job is a film I write, shoot, edit and score that has some political or ethical significance.

It has to be MY project totally, with me completing all essential parts.

Lots to think about between now and the first of the year.

Man, I wish I'd had this problem when I was younger and poorer!

Ho, Ho and Happy new year all,

Russ

I can't do 110 hours a week on a regular basis much longer.
And, I don't need to. It's just that deciding between photography, writing, design, film production, recording, communications research design, teaching, 501(C) involvement and playing, either live or in the studio is impossible. And, the thinner I spread things, the less satisfied I am with the final product(s).

#413681 - 12/26/15 03:32 PM Re: A problem for YOUNGER Players.... [Re: captain Russ]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Just carry on as usual, Russ. What else are you gonna do with all that spare time?
You are meant to be busy.

Taike

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online