SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#89523 - 12/29/10 02:13 PM What people eat from around the world
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
http://izismile.com/2010/07/09/what_people_eat_from_around_the_world_28_pics.html

I love my veggies and don't really care that much about meat. Neither do I care much for carbonated beverages and processed foods.

The most appetizing cuisines in the list -to me- are of the following countries:

Japan, Italy, Kuwait, Mexico, China, Egypt, Equador, Buthan, India, France, Turkey, The Phillippines, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cuba and Guatemala.

Somehow they seem to eat healthier food in the poorer countries. In the developed countries healthy food costs a lot more than processed food and governments make sure it stays that way. I'm sure they also spend more time in their kitchens. In many wealthy countries the kitchen is merely a showpiece: to be seen but noy to be used. Heavens forbid!

I watched a documentary the other day: "Food, Inc."

It was said that like four multi-nationals control all food manufacturing in the US. In other words, they want you to be obese, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and what else not. That's scary!

Then again, the majority of food related health issues are self-inflicted. If one has time for the tube, one surely has time to prepare a healthy meal.
--------------------------------------------Say man.
Hey baby.
Saw your wife the other day.
Yeah?
Yeah, she's ugly.
Yeah, she's ugly but she sure can cook.
Yeah?. Okay.
--------------------------------------------
Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang

#89524 - 12/29/10 03:40 PM Re: What people eat from around the world
124 Offline

I once worked with a fellow from Hong Kong and he used to say that you can eat anything with four legs except the kitchen table.

#89525 - 12/29/10 09:56 PM Re: What people eat from around the world
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 124:
I once worked with a fellow from Hong Kong and he used to say that you can eat anything with four legs except the kitchen table.

A very popular snack in Cambodia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5oqzzXLKPE&NR=1

I wouldn't dare but who I respect the difference in culture and taste buds. After all, they think cheese is gross.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang

#89526 - 01/03/11 04:20 PM Re: What people eat from around the world
Taike Offline

Hey Eggheads,

Tell us about your weekly food intake,

I'll go first:

*rice (regular or sticky) In Laos it'll be sticky rice which you eat using your hands

*lots of green leaf vegetables and legumes

*bamboo

*fruits: bananas, plaintans, papapya, mango, wax apples, starfruit, apples, pears, peaches, lychees, watermelon, pineapple, etc.)

note: a banana is actually a herb and watermelon a vegetable

*fish (fresh from the Mekong) - in Taiwan it would be sea fish

*chicken: free-range

*pork (maybe once or twice a week) and beef (very seldom) I eat small portions and often go weeks without

*pasta: spaghetti, etc.

*noodles

*bread

*ice cream: when it's hot (and cold) and it's always hot where I live but I can keep it under control and often go months without...causing me great distress

*water/green tea: usually just water

*soda: seldom

*milk

*fresh fruit juice

*processed food products: as little as possible

Most of my grocery shopping is done at the local market and of my kitchen waste is bio-degradable. Al Gore would love me.

Taike

#313571 - 01/23/11 12:15 AM Re: What people eat from around the world [Re: Taike]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Mostly Possum and witchity grubs, snake pie and kangaroo steaks on the BBQ. Don't like Emu as they are too hard to catch on the run, and a bit gamie in taste. smile

#313675 - 01/23/11 09:17 PM Re: What people eat from around the world [Re: tassiespirit]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: tassiespirit
Mostly Possum and witchity grubs, snake pie and kangaroo steaks on the BBQ. Don't like Emu as they are too hard to catch on the run, and a bit gamie in taste. smile

You crazy Tasmanian lmao. I'm betting you have NEVER eaten any of those things. But if you have then you are crazier than I thought wink

#313698 - 01/24/11 05:54 AM Re: What people eat from around the world [Re: Taike]
tassiespirit Offline

BBQ Kangaroo is very lean and great , possum , well trueth be told, yes once (in the scouts) but I wasn't told till later. Still can't catch that Emu.lol

#313846 - 01/25/11 01:38 AM Re: What people eat from around the world [Re: tassiespirit]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: tassiespirit
BBQ Kangaroo is very lean and great , possum , well trueth be told, yes once (in the scouts) but I wasn't told till later. Still can't catch that Emu.lol

OK then lmao .... you're crazier than I thought. We don't eat that stuff in Melbourne lol. Only feed blue dyed kangaroo meat to the dogs.

#313854 - 01/25/11 03:29 AM Re: What people eat from around the world [Re: Nigel]
tassiespirit Offline

grin They have farms now that have domestic market Kangaroo and Emu meat for human consumption. It is like a gamier tasteing beef cattle meat. The Emu is stringier and a little too tough for me. You can get the meat in Coles and Woolworth stores.
Kangaroo, is better if you tenderise it and marinate it over night, and it is real good and lean! And no Bull lol. laugh
Can't come at eating the witchity Grub, but I have been told you can eat it cooked over a open fire, that have an almond taste to them.
I believe you can't eat possum now as some are endangered, but a lot of bushies ( the old timber getters) in Tassie used to eat them or wallaby ( small sized Kangaroo), they also, used to use the the bark off the paper bark trees - rolled up to smoke, when there was no tabacco available.
Allan

Edited by tassiespirit (01/25/11 03:33 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online