spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom

#89156 - 07/14/10 09:29 AM Re: loss of Parental Authority
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#89157 - 07/14/10 09:52 AM Re: loss of Parental Authority
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Even if the judge thought grounding was too much punishment, is grounding illegal? If this dad had been to parenting classes when he was a teenager, he'd have known that grounding his daughter was far too over-reaching.

#89158 - 07/14/10 04:07 PM Re: loss of Parental Authority
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
Even if the judge thought grounding was too much punishment, is grounding illegal? If this dad had been to parenting classes when he was a teenager, he'd have known that grounding his daughter was far too over-reaching.

Such a silly remark, Rory.

You're both acting like this happens every time a kid gets grounded.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#89159 - 07/14/10 04:36 PM Re: loss of Parental Authority
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:

The situation is ridiculous, as is your comment.

We had an issue with our oldest daughter years ago. She'd sneak out at all hours of the night. We'd immediately go looking for her, usually with the help of the local police. It was our right to file unruly charges against her. After one warning---we filed charges when she repeated the behavior. The judge ordered her to do community service, attend anger management classes and for some reason, still unknown to us, ordered us to attend parenting classes. Our daughter had accused of of nothing, but we still had to go.

In the parenting classes we attended, they stressed the importance of setting limits and rules and the repercussions should these rules be broken.

We had to help some of the other parents fill out their 1st nightly paperwork because we were among the few that could read, I kid you not.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#89160 - 07/14/10 05:03 PM Re: loss of Parental Authority
Taike Offline

The article cleary states that it was the mother who set the judicial machine into motion. So it's the mother using the child to get even with her ex.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#89161 - 07/14/10 06:52 PM Re: loss of Parental Authority
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
At least you both got it. My comment was meant to be absurd. As absurd as this whole wacky system. No, obviously this doesn't happen every time a kid gets grounded. But, would one expect more or fewer similar attempts now that it has been successfully done?

#89162 - 07/14/10 07:12 PM Re: loss of Parental Authority
Taike Offline

I do wish that more children sue their parents for neglect and abuse.

Becoming a parent is easy. "Being" a parent takes a lot of time and effort. Those that can't afford to spend time with kids are better off without them.

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#89163 - 07/15/10 12:10 AM Re: loss of Parental Authority
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I do wish that more children sue their parents for neglect and abuse.

Becoming a parent is easy. "Being" a parent takes a lot of time and effort. Those that can't afford to spend time with kids are better off without them.

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

Are you serious Taike ?????? You slate rory for making a flippant/silly remark and then you post this ???

Do you understand that the judge ruled in favour of the child over the fathers authority regardless as to whether the childs mum put her up to it.

Do you appreciate the range of circumstances that the state/judiciary can now consider as abuse or neglect ?

And just clarify for me what did you mean when you said those parents that dont have time for their kids are better off without them ?

It is often the case that parents want to have time for their kids but debts, and the high cost of living mean that 6they have to work unsociable hours such as night shifts, double jobs just to keep a roof over their heads.

Are you a parent yourself Taike just out of interest.

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 07-15-2010).]

#89164 - 07/15/10 03:45 AM Re: loss of Parental Authority
Taike Offline

My last post wasn't in regard to the trial you'd mentioned.

Yes, I am a parent. Are you going to berate me on that now?

Why am I a parent? Because society expects me to because I'm married? Far from it. I decided to become a parent because both my wife and I love children. No outside pressure. We just felt we were ready to have kids (well, ONE for the moment). If we knew that we wouldn't have the time to spend with a child we wouldn't have had one. It's as simple as that. How can we call ourselves parents if we don't have time for our son? How would my son feel if I had only had time for my work but not for him? Try explaning that to a little kid.

Money: My mom and dad raised seven sons and one daughter on ONE salary. We never went hungry. Now why is it that nowadays two working parents complain about not making ends meet? I don't understand that that all. Yet having two cars isn't a problem. Kids don't care how much money mom and dad make. What they do care about is how much time mom and dad spend with them. Is no "quality" time on Saturday/Sunday going to make up for the rest of the week. Why would any child have to put up with that?

Debts: What debts are we talking about? Paying off two cars? Mortgage? Why is it that those that lived during the Great Recession and lost all were able to get back on their feet and build a comfortable life while at the same time raising a family? Why is it impossible to duplicate this now? Buy what you can afford. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

So you're asking children to understand that mom and dad have no time for them. Maybe people are just too darn materialistic. Sitting in front of the TV with mom and dad is usually what constitutes spending time together.

Look at what is usually the first major purchase once married: a car! And the wedding has to cost a fortune as well. So people rather spend a fortune in one day than spend it well on what's really needed. A couple of years later down the road they divorce because of financial problems.

My wife and I had a simple wedding, didn't ask for anything at all. All we wanted was people having a good time. Did we make any money from it? Nope! We both don't believe in "paying" guests.

A kid that is being neglected and abused isn't supposed to have a voice??? Aren't kids citizens and shouldn't they have rights? If I punch you in the face, you sue me, right? If I punch your kid in the face, you sue me, right? But if you were to punch your kid in the face, he/she has no right to sue you? Do you even know how much damage a punch can cause to a child? The real damage might show up years later.

Can you really blame the state's interference when some parents see their kids as nothing but a punching bag?

I've traveled the world and I noticed one particular thing over and over again: people in affluent countries have way too many excuses. I've lived in one of the poorest countries and was amazed at how much time parents spend with their kids.

Ever wonder why large families with only ONE breadwinner can pull it off while those with TWO breadwinners and ONE kid or even NO kids at all can't?

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online