SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#88871 - 04/30/10 03:30 PM GOOD NEWS! Rory's Coming To Lexington!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My very good friend and "adopted kid" Rory just called to let me know he's coming to Lexington on Monday to tape a "Woodsongs: Old Time Radio" Hour. He'll get here in the afternoon, do a sound-check and call me. I'm about 4 minutes away from the theater. I'll pick him up and we can hang out looking at guitars until he has to go to work atr 7:00PM. Sadly, they're going right back to Nashville, but we'll have a chance to visit for several hours. Strange thing is, I had only been off the phone 2 or three minutes arranging for his ticket to Summer NAMM when he called.

"Woodsongs is run by a flat-out jerk/washed up no talent folksinger no one here can stand, but he has developed a program heard on over 350 markets featuring the likes of Janice Ian, Victor Wooten, Exile, Richie Havens, Bela Fleck, Tommy Emanuel, Steve Warner, J.D. Crowe and the like.

Rory's gonna "knock 'em dead". Steve Warner is really good. Rory's better!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-30-2010).]

#88872 - 04/30/10 06:07 PM Re: GOOD NEWS! Rory's Coming To Lexington!
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I was really glad to find out that Russ would be around. He's a busy guy, but I had to check, and I'm in luck. I'll be backing Carolyn Martin as a member of her western swing band. I'll play guitar and accordion. There's an amazingly good fiddle player, Billy Contreras, Tommy Wells on drums, and Dave martin (her husband) on bass. Usually there is a steel player too, but not this time.
Looking forward to seeing you Russ, and some cool guitars as well. Talked to Dave and he's cool with staying after the show too if we don't find time before.
See ya soon,
Rory

#88873 - 05/03/10 01:36 PM Re: GOOD NEWS! Rory's Coming To Lexington!
captain Russ Offline

Met with Rory about 20 minutes before he had to load in. Hopefully, we'll be able to meet up right after the show, while the group is packing up for about 45 min. They have a 3 1/2-4 hour drive back home tonite...that makes a long day.

We'll have a whirlwind tour of some guitars....about 100 here in the warehouse.

Gotta give it to him. He puts his heart and lots of time in to do what he is destined to do.

And he does it about as well as anyone I've ever met.

Russ

#88874 - 05/04/10 07:26 AM Re: GOOD NEWS! Rory's Coming To Lexington!
captain Russ Offline

Rory called when the taping of the show was done, and we got together for a little over an hour. Looked at lots of instruments, but didn't even scratch the surface of the collection.

My office manager came by, and, when Rory started playing one of the guitars, she just stood there with her mouth open. I've been in this business for a long time, and every time he picks up an instrument, I am blown away.

I'm pretty good; as a "picker and grinner", he's incomparable.

But, what's better, he's a GREAT kid. He got his own standing ovation at the Woodsongs taping...that NEVER happens for an instrumentalist.

We're getting together at Summer Namm. I'll let you guys know when the show will broadcast on local PBS stations.

Rory, really enjoyed your short visit. We'll get that recording project organized at Summer NAMM. Enjoyed meeting Dave, Carolyn and the rest of the crew, too!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-04-2010).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online