SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#87528 - 08/19/08 02:19 PM Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Saw one of these at NAMM-floating pick-up-natural finish archtop. I'll use it outside as my "beater" when the trio plays outside. Made in Korea, probably at the Sammick factory. Have a DeArmond (Guild) X 155 made there. Really good quality for $1000.00. This little Gretsch is 670.00. Funny thing...Gretsch makes no case or bag. Same thing with the Double neck Gretsch I have.

Don't like that!

Russ

#87529 - 08/21/08 08:33 AM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
captain Russ Offline

Got the Gretsch. The matt finish is a little plain looking and the single coil is gonna take some getting used to, as opposed to the Kent Armstrong on the D'angelico, but it sure has an old-time vibe. Trying it out tonight on a patio job.

Think it's gonna work out fine!

Next up will be a new PRS. Don't have one of them.

(Man, I love new toys)!

Russ

#87530 - 08/22/08 11:45 AM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
captain Russ Offline

Just found some surface cracks in the finish on the back. This is why I really hate to order any guitar...can't check it out completely. It's a $1000.00 list instrument, and the small cracks are on the back around the rounded cutaway. At a net of $670.00, can't expect perfection. I have an RA, and am probably going to send it back to Sweetwater.

I'll go to the local dealer and have them order me one. that way, he'll stand behind the unit and take care of any problems. I just had him order me a PRS, so he'll work with me on this one, I think.

Oh Well...

Support your local independent music dealer, folks!

Russ

#87531 - 08/23/08 12:02 AM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
At least you will be able to exchange it for another. I'm sure that won't be a problem with a PRS on order lol. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the D'angelico.

So what PRS model did you end up deciding on?

#87532 - 08/24/08 02:14 PM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

Next up will be a new PRS. Don't have one of them.

(Man, I love new toys)!

Russ

You will love the PRS
I would advise a custom24 model (NOT a CE24!)

Allthough I own more (and very good guitars) the last couple of years my PRS cust24 became my allround workhorse.

Fred

#87533 - 08/25/08 08:15 AM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
captain Russ Offline

Fred/Nigel I AM getting a Custom 24. Wilcutt Guitars here in Lexington, Kentucky is the largest PRS dealer, in terms of volume, in the world.

The guy (Bob Wilcutt) has a massive collection of collectibles. It's funny to watch the big guys (Fender, Taylor , Martin, etc.) watch the front door at NAMM for him to show up.

Know I'll like the Custom. Bob has several in a building separate from his main retail location. He keeps all his high end and antique stuff there.

Now, I'm thinking of keeping the cheap little Gretsch, which plays perfectly, and having it re-finished. I'd have three hundred more in it, but would be a great "beater" for outside jazz gigs, which I'm doing more and more of.

Always good to hear from you, Fred!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-25-2008).]

#87534 - 08/26/08 12:41 PM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Good to hear from you too Russ.

Let us know when you have her and if you like her.

Mine is cherry sunbirst, what colour did you order?

Fred

#87535 - 08/26/08 01:39 PM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
captain Russ Offline

Actually, Fred, the dealer has 4 in stock at his little "reserve" room across from his main store. I'll pick thru them and choose the best "player". Like a blue one, but don't know what he has, yet (don't even know if blue is available). I'll make the choice tomorrow. Am also thinking of getting one of the $600.00 imports for use as a "beater" for outside jobs. Played one of these and they're pretty cool for the price.

Be well...I'll let you know...

Russ

#87536 - 08/26/08 02:06 PM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
captain Russ Offline

guys, Gretch is going to give me a "blem" refund on the little Gretsch I just got. I'm going to get a $300.00 finish in poly with a lite blue tint. I'll have around $1000.00 in the little guy, but I'll use it for playing outside with my trio (son-upright-grandson-drums). It is laminate, so it will hold up outside. We play lots of outdoor events for area horse farms and wineries. It's an import, so it will never appreciate in value, but it will be a great "beater". May trade out the floating single coil with a Kent Armstrong, which looks like will bolt right on.

Really gotten into "beaters" lately!

Russ

#87537 - 08/27/08 12:44 AM Re: Nigel- a new Gretsch G100CE Jazz Guitar...
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yep I think beaters are a lot better value now than they ever used to be. While my main guitars are US Fender Stratocasters I have no problem using the Korean and Chinese knockoffs I have aquired over the years. They work just great for me.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online