SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#87092 - 12/05/07 07:25 AM I do not want an ipod for Christmas
analogcontrolfreak Offline

Okay, so I am not much for the lattest tecno marvel. The last digtial device I bought was a DVD player, four years ago. Lately, I have been redsiocvering machines of the past. Such as antique phonographs, and of course cassette decks. I happen to have a nice collection of antique phonogrpahs. Two Edison (Thomas Edison) machines, and a tabletop Victrola. I have even built up a nice collection of records to play on these machines. There is just something about playing music on a Victrola, that you can not get from an MP3. I even own a cassette deck that's from the 1970's. AHHHAA! A CASSETTE DECK???? Yes, a TEAC Cassette deck to be perscie. I bought it, six years ago from Goodwill, for $10.00. It was only recently, that I started to use it again. Especially, after a former high school music teacher/friend gave me a bunch of cassette tapes of electronic music. It's really cool to listen to music on cassette. I have even thought about buying and early turntable to play 78's on. I am even consdiering looking for an old tunner from the 70's as well. I have a bunch of LP's laying around. Of course I still have a compact disc player as well, but I figure CD's will be on the way out, like vinal, and casstte tapes.

Call me nostalgic, but there is just something about the music machines of the past that apeals to me.

#87093 - 12/06/07 09:26 AM Re: I do not want an ipod for Christmas
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hmmm...you appear to be missing another questionable recording marvel of the past: the old 8-track cassette player.

Of all the recording formats, I think the 8-track cassette was the worst. I had loads of cassettes all over my car with tape hanging out and twisted. They melted in the heat. Got jammed in the player and collected dust and dirt like crazy. But, like disco...the 8-track was popular for awhile.

Eddie

#87094 - 12/06/07 02:49 PM Re: I do not want an ipod for Christmas

I guess since it was short lived, I thought it would merit a mention. Guess I was wrong, sorry.

Paul

#87095 - 12/06/07 02:57 PM Re: I do not want an ipod for Christmas
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
But I bet that Victrola is a bitch to fit in your jacket pocket lol

#87096 - 12/06/07 05:17 PM Re: I do not want an ipod for Christmas

Yes it is! I keep falling down.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online