SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73276 - 06/18/00 11:04 PM PSR-8000 or PSR-740? Help!
Laser Ed Offline

I currently own a PSR-630. I play the violin and fiddle and use the keyboard as background to give me that "full orchestra/band" sound as accompaniament to my violin. I also utilize the auto-accompaniaments on the keyboard live.

I do this as music ministry/entertainment/"therapy" at nursing homes/children's handicapped centers/etc.

The problem is this: I was involved in an auto-accident which damaged my 630 and for which I can not receive any $$ from the person who hit me. It's to the point now that I have to jiggle the power chord and tape it to the keyboard to get it to stay on...although it's getting more tricky to get it to stay on each day. Also the pitch bender will bend a note, but then the note sticks and stays bent sometimes!

So ... I need to get another keyboard. I like some of the things I've heard about the 8000, but then noticed that the 740 has a lot of the same features.

What is the current street price of a new 8000 now? Or can they only be purchased used?

Is $1500 a good price for a used 8000? That's actually a bit beyond what I can spend, but it's the price that I've seen on two 8000's I've seen for sale.

I noticed that the 740 has added a 'c' and 'd' part to the auto-accomp. Does the 8000 have that, or just "a" and "b"?

Also, how well would the vocal harmonizer work using the violin? Could I plug my fiddle straight in or would I need to play the violin through a microphone plugged into the keyboard?

The reasons I'd like the 8000 better than the 740 is that it has a sampler (how easy is it to sample straight into the keyboard???), it can use a hard drive (how hard is it to back up the hard drive???), that it has much louder internal speakers than the 740 (I'm trying to be as self-contained as possible...especially when I have to put all my equip on a cart for doing the in-room therapy stuff)....

How do all the specs of both synths compare to each other? Does the 8000 support everything the 740 does? Or is it a situation where each keyboard has some things that the other on doesn't???

I know a new 740 can be had for a little over a $1000....How much more is it worth to pay to get the extra features of a used 8000?

Please help me ASAP as I have a lead on a PSR-8000 that might be in my price range, but I'm not sure what it's really worth....

Thanks!!

Ed

#73277 - 06/20/00 08:37 PM Re: PSR-8000 or PSR-740? Help!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ed,
STOP ! Don'y buy a used 8000 ! ! !
You can get a NEW one for about $1700 in US.
Here's why you DON't want the 740 -
1) speakers are lousy - not loud at all
2) if you're playing the violin, can you get to the variations live? Maybe two are enough.
3) The harmonizer & mic input are terrible - You'll need an external amp, harmonizer, EQ, etc. With the 8000, it's one piece - that's all. Forget the 740. It's not in the major leagues.

------------------
Uncle Dave

#73278 - 06/21/00 12:43 PM Re: PSR-8000 or PSR-740? Help!
Laser Ed Offline

Where can I purchase a new 8000 for $1700 ?

Thanks

Ed

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Ed,
STOP ! Don'y buy a used 8000 ! ! !
You can get a NEW one for about $1700 in US.
Here's why you DON't want the 740 -
1) speakers are lousy - not loud at all
2) if you're playing the violin, can you get to the variations live? Maybe two are enough.
3) The harmonizer & mic input are terrible - You'll need an external amp, harmonizer, EQ, etc. With the 8000, it's one piece - that's all. Forget the 740. It's not in the major leagues.

#73279 - 06/21/00 10:11 PM Re: PSR-8000 or PSR-740? Help!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hi ED,
I still should be able to get you one, if my warehouse hasn't sold them all. We had a bunch of them at the beginning of the summer, but I'll have to check. If you want one for sure - email me direct with all your info and I'll check the stockroom.I'm pretty sure we still have a few.

------------------
Uncle Dave

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online