SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71020 - 06/05/00 08:29 AM PSR340? Is this a toy
Mory Offline

Loc: Jacksonville,Florida
I have just purchased the Yamaha psr340. I belive that the expectations of a professional instrument has failed many users. THe sounds are poor in quality, the recording procedure is irritating, and the keypad is not full size. If the built in disk drive is your main attraction, be prepared to record some cheezy music.

#71021 - 06/10/00 09:33 PM Re: PSR340? Is this a toy
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Mory,
Had you choosen the PSR540 you would have a different oppinion. The 340 is the same keyboard and sounds as the lower PSR270, but the 540 is the same engine as the more expensive PSR640. The differences for a couple of hundred dollars is huge!
540 has a 16 track sequencer with 165,000 note memory. The 340 has a 6 track sequencer with approx. 2000 note memory.
The sounds in the 540 are Xg and Panel Voice.
The sounds in the 340 are GM and not as good of Panel Voices.
The styles in the 540 can be edited and even recorded from scratch.
The styles in the 340 cannot be edited at all.
The 540 allows for different ethnic tunings such as quartertone arabic tunnings. The 340 does not do this at all.
There are more pro quality effects in the 540 and many more of them.
There are many more major differences, but these are some of the most important.
My advice would be to upgrade or trade in the 340.
Roland, GEM, Korg, etc. don't offer anything as powerful as the PSR540 for the money. My one reservation would be in the fact that you must record each track direct to disk and not into a buffer like the Korg's do. Because of this you must wait a few seconds when you are done recording a track to play it back because it is first writing it to disk. You also can't do much individual editing. You can quantize, but that's about all. In the Korg sequencer you can edit individual notes, program changes, pitch bend and mod wheel events, etc. However, there is no other keyboard in this price range offering so much. I hope this helps.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, Ca.
(Retired 2021)

#71022 - 06/12/00 11:49 AM Re: PSR340? Is this a toy
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
yes

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online