SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72787 - 08/31/99 06:17 AM Roger Troutman's Talkbox sound on the DX100! What is it?
Paul Eagle Offline

Loc: cincinnati, Ohio USA
The late Roger Troutman of the R&B, Funk group ZAPP used 2 DX100s for 2 talkboxes he would have on stage with him. Both at two different ends of the stage on podium like stands. If you have seen him perform live, or knew him personally, can any one tell me what FM synthesis or algorhythms he used, to push that unique sound through these talkboxes? What is that DX100 sound?

[This message has been edited by Paul Eagle (edited 08-31-1999).]

#72788 - 08/31/99 03:59 PM Re: Roger Troutman's Talkbox sound on the DX100! What is it?
PaulG Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
If I'm correct (and this is *ONLY* a guess), the talkbox effect is a kind of throat controlled modulation of sound much favoured by Pete Framton with his guitar back in the 70s, along with Joe Walsh and Richie Sambora. I remember some guy demoing the same product using a DX7 at BMF 1990, but couldn't tell you any more other than that. Sorry. If we're talking about the same thing, then it's external hardware - you ain't gonna get it by straight DX programming alone...

#72789 - 09/10/99 11:19 AM Re: Roger Troutman's Talkbox sound on the DX100! What is it?
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
To get vocal/formant sounds out of a DX100, you would need 2 things (which I'm not sure it has): 1)the ability to assign fixed frequency to some of the ops; and 2) an algorithm that branches down treelike, 3 to 1. Within a patch you can set sensitivity of some modulators but most of that control is global in the FUNCTION mode.
If you have trouble finding specific advice and patchbanks, you can email me and I can send you diagrams of DX7 patches that illustrate what I'm talking about. You would have to ignore or compensate for the 2 extra ops but they would still work.

mikenels@gateway.net
good luck.mn

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online