I am running a midi sequencer & digital audio software program called Logic Audio on my Macintosh Computer (G4). Overall, I am able to successfully record my Technics KN5000 keyboard performances directly into Logic Audio's midi sequencer (RT1; RT2; Left; accomp parts: 1, 2,3; bass; drums). I do notice one specific limitation which baffles me. I am not able to send out the 'techni-chord' harmony parts out from my KN keyboard via midi to my sequencer, though the main (RT1) melody (played part) which triggers the harmony is being sent out fine.

I checked my KN5000's midi settings and they are set as per the "How To Create Midi Files" document written by Larry Cohan. In particular, the 'Techni-Chord-Output' setting in the midi "Input/Output Settings Section" is set to: ON. Is there something I am not setting correctly on the KN5000 or is it just not possible to send the actual "harmony notes" out via midi?

The only way I am currently able to hear the Techni-Chord 'harmony parts' being played during computer sequencer playback is to turn on the Chords (Midi: "Part Setting" page) by setting it to midi channel 11 or other free midi channel) during the initial recording and during playback. The APC Chords are then recorded to the external sequencer and send the correct harmonies back to the KN5000 during playback which in turn trigger the 'Techni-Chord' haromonies to be played back. Of course this is an extremely limited solution as you must use the KN5000 during playback as well and have the "Techni-chord button" with the correct harmony type pre-selected on the keyboard. Recording the APC chords to the computer sequencer also poses another problem. When recording, you must turn OFF the 'Auto Play Chord Input' on the "Input/Output Settings" and then turn it back ON again during playback (a REAL HASSLE). If you don't turn the 'Auto Play Chord Input' OFF during recording, you will not be able to change the APC chords (play a chord progression) while recording. In addition, lots of other weird things begin to happen with the KN5000 and the only solution is to re-initialize the keyboard. YIKES, not worth the hassle!

Anyway, I am interested in getting feedback from others regarding all this. Do you know if it's at all possible to get the Technics KN5000 keyboard to send out 'actual' midi data for 'Techni-Chord' harmony parts?

I look forward to hearing from Larry Cohan and others regarding this.

Happy keyboarding from California (San Francisco Bay Area),

- Scott