SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#394293 - 10/05/14 05:19 PM Connecting KN 7000 to PC for music notation
gambler Offline

Hi everyone,

l wonder if anyone can help me re connecting my keyboard to a PC. l'm don't know much about PC's so would appreciate simple instructions lol. l want to connect to the PC and use the keyboard with music notation software Score Cloud. Basically l need advice on the best way to connect the 7000. l have the usb lead for the keyboard, but wondered if this would work with the software or would l be better buying a midi to usb lead? My comp at the moment is Windows XP, but l'm aware Score Cloud doesn't work with this, so will be borrowing a Windows 7 PC if that makes any difference in the connections etc.

#394298 - 10/05/14 07:30 PM Re: Connecting KN 7000 to PC for music notation [Re: gambler]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
As you are using a windows 7 computer a midi to usb will be needed as the old drivers for midi are not any good I have had trouble with windows XP on service pack 3 it worked on service pack 2 ok.
I use Notation Composer for my software not free nor the most expensive it has regular updates and works very well. input can be from KN7 or computer keyboard,record in step or real time and arrange in piano/keyboard/buskers scores to full orchestra/band reads midi files and will allow printing from midi files in score parts to melody with chords and it works with XP right up to windows 8.
Regards and keep those keys mov'in John.

#394337 - 10/06/14 06:02 PM Re: Connecting KN 7000 to PC for music notation [Re: jd5live]
gambler Offline

Thanks for the info John. l think l'll go down the road of the usb/midi cable as you suggest. Although l'm pretty hopeless with comps, that was something that was in the back of my mind as l'd read somewhere about problems with any Windows comps above XP. l just want something simple to be able to play the keyboard and have a programme write the music.

#394377 - 10/07/14 12:42 PM Re: Connecting KN 7000 to PC for music notation [Re: gambler]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
I don't know what experience others have had with MIDI interfaces but I've tried several and the only one to give good results has been the Roland UM-one MK II. I'm using Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Strangely, after installing the Roland UM-one MK II software my KN7000 started responding to MIDI over USB perfectly and I'm not sure whether this is peculiar to my setup. So, I don't actually use the Roland UM-one MK II for most operations now (but it does give slightly better performance than the USB when I do. The difference is marginal).

I definitely wish I hadn't wasted a lot of time and consternation with other interfaces so posting this in case it helps you,
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#394455 - 10/08/14 10:18 AM Re: Connecting KN 7000 to PC for music notation [Re: designserve]
gambler Offline

l've now got another question which has arisen from my original. As l've already pointed out, l'm not much cop with technology etc, and wonder if any of you guys can advise? l've always fancied being able to find a programme that will allow me to print music from a pre recorded music CD. If l'm understanding this right, from what l've read, you can change the CD WAV file to a MIDI file, then download that to one of the music notation software programmes and then be able to print off the music.

Hope this makes sense, and l haven't misunderstood what l've read lol. If this is possible what is the best/cheapest solution to do this? Many thanks for any help again.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online