SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#369924 - 08/04/13 09:45 PM I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!!
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Greetings, Everyone!

Sometime ago, I posted stating that the key above middle C was playing full volume when just lightly playing the key. I actually caused it by a spider coming out of the keyboard and I made a wild swat at it and hit the keys hard. No one really had an answer. It was thought that a section of 12 notes would have to be replaced. Then, later on, I posted that I was having problems with the Sequencer/Reset button not working well, along with the Stop/Start button. It was suggested by John C. that a tuner spray might work. At that time, I had an aerosol can of air to clean dust around electrical components. I tried it and it didn't work so I did go out and get just what Nigel called a contact cleaner. What I got was not a silicone spray that I thought I needed but a gas that had a type of cleaner in it designed especially for electronic components. I first put it on the Sequencer/Reset button and the Start/Stop button. They seemed to work a little better and then I did it again and that helped the buttons to work even better. This morning, I decided to take a chance and spray really good on the key above middle C. I sprayed a lot around it and about three other notes next to it. I almost panicked because the notes quit playing. I immediately thought that it was the wet solution that was keeping them from making a contact. I kept playing them several times for the cleaner to get to the contacts and left the keyboard and didn't try playing the notes until this evening and VOILA, they all work and especially, the C note is playing correctly. All these months it played full volume and would play three or four times when just plying the note softly once. I feel like I have a new keyboard and have entered heaven.

I wanted to share this good news with everyone just in case someone else has a problem with buttons or especially a note not responding correctly. The electronic tuner cleaner could well be worth a try.

A happy KN7000 player,

Mark

#369932 - 08/05/13 01:49 AM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: kitkat]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That is great news Mark. And if it happened to you it surely will happen to others as well so great to hear the cleaning spray cured the problem.

#369938 - 08/05/13 06:53 AM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: Nigel]
kitkat Offline

Nigel, the name of the cleaner is: CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. It comes in a sizable aerosol can and would you believe, it cost two dollars and change. I thought with all the problems that I was having with the keyboard I was going to have to bite the bullet and travel 120 miles to get it serviced. I wasn't anxious to do that. A couple of buttons long ago have lost the spring click when using them but they work. I have always felt that Technics keyboards were very well built. They stand a lot of use.

Mark

#369966 - 08/05/13 11:50 AM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: kitkat]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Pleased for you Mark...

#370001 - 08/05/13 09:40 PM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: kitkat]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Guys, that is very interesting information.
Question: Would you think it advisable as a maintenance issue to use this product around the keyboard regardless, or only when a fault arises.
I used a similar product on my SD card slot with little success, but as I posted some weeks ago (I think), "if I change or insert a card when the KB is off, it loads every time as soon as I turn the KB on!!!!!!!
Ray dance

#370286 - 08/11/13 02:44 PM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: kitkat]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Bernie and Ray,

I've used the Music Stylist since buying the KN7, PLUS THE MUSIC PADS on many occasions. I also used the PADS either as short 'fill-ins' or set the longer phrases to play whilst I turned the sheet music over. Try them - they're great additions to use and I'm sure you'll like them.

Also are you aware that you can 'tweak' the Music Stylist and save your sets to it using the Composer, which again, helps to make your songs sound more in keeping with the 'era'.

Ah yes! the KN7 is still way above other keyboards in my opinion.

Happy playing - Audrey

#370298 - 08/12/13 12:55 AM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: kitkat]
Dave L. Offline

Hello Mark,
I too have a very load Middle C note on a Piano sound when the touch sensitive is at a manufactuers setting
Initialising the keyboard puts the touch sensitive at number "6"
If I change the touch sensitive to "0" all notes play at the same volumn .

I presume I will have to dismantle the KN7000 to spray the contacts of the offending note with a contact cleaner.

Dave L in New Zealand .

#370299 - 08/12/13 01:00 AM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: Dave L.]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Dave L.
Hello Mark,
I too have a very load Middle C note on a Piano sound when the touch sensitive is at a manufactuers setting
Initialising the keyboard puts the touch sensitive at number "6"
If I change the touch sensitive to "0" all notes play at the same volumn .

I presume I will have to dismantle the KN7000 to spray the contacts of the offending note with a contact cleaner.

Dave L in New Zealand .

I got the impression from Mark's first post in this thread that he didn't dismantle the keyboard but just sprayed around the problem key quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: kitkat

I decided to take a chance and spray really good on the key above middle C. I sprayed a lot around it and about three other notes next to it. I almost panicked because the notes quit playing. I immediately thought that it was the wet solution that was keeping them from making a contact. I kept playing them several times for the cleaner to get to the contacts and left the keyboard and didn't try playing the notes until this evening and VOILA, they all work and especially, the C note is playing correctly.

#370312 - 08/12/13 08:26 AM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: Nigel]
kitkat Offline

Hi guys,

Gees, I could be a spokesman for this product! As Nigel stated, I just sprayed around the keys. I actually pressed the keys down and angled the spray into the keyboard where the keys start to come out of the keyboard. I did a couple of good sprays around the C above middle C where I had the problem and sprayed a couple keys next to it on each side. In doing this, because the spray was wet, the notes would not play. As I said, I didn't panic because I knew it was the wet spray that was causing the notes to not make contact. I waited a few hours for the spray to completely dry and all the notes played perfectly.

I have even further news for you. When my KN7 was new, playing in pianist mode, there would be a note or two that made a click when I played the keys. It bothered me but I ignored it. I noticed lately that I had two keys (D and Eb) by middle C and the E an octave up that started having these slight clicking sounds when played. I decided to spray this magic spray in and around them and the clicks are gone.

Dave, I highly suggest you don't open the keyboard. I think a spray cleaner will likely get rid of the problem. Keep us informed.

Mark

#370335 - 08/12/13 02:40 PM Re: I AM ONE HAPPY GUY!!! [Re: kitkat]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi folks, I am bemused as to the fact you are having an effect by using a liquid spray. I think many of you are thinking the contact system on the KN7000 is somewhat like that of the old Hammond/Lowery etc. you are very much mistaken the system is nothing like, the system uses a silicone overlay with 2 carbon round contacts and work as :- contact one is note ON contact two is also note ON but the time delay between the two is used to give the note speed thus the volume/change of sound for touch responsive keyboards. As an ex keyboard dealer and engineer I personally would not condone the use of wet sprays,they may give a short term fix but may soften the carbon contact blocks and also harden the silicone strips all in all causing the contact system to fail earlier than expected. Also remember these parts are now getting fewer by the day!!

Regards John.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online