SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#351368 - 09/19/12 03:22 PM To Bill Norrie (or others) re: CDs ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill ... I know there has been lengthy discussion on another thread about different types of CDs, but I still have a question ...
I have long respected your experience and intellect on this board, so I am coming to you with this, although anyone who thinks they may have an answer may respond, PLEASE ...

For 'background' info, my PC is DELL Optiplex 960, running W7, with a TSSTcorpCDRWDVD drive ...

I have recorded music on a ZOOM H4n digital recorder and then downloaded that to the PC - mp3 format ... I have then tried to burn that music onto a CD and when I've tried to use a MEMOREX CD-R disc, I get a message saying Windows cannot burn to the current disc, insert a writable disc in the drive. If I place a CD labeled 'AUDIO' in the drive, it works fine...

I KNOW I have used CD-R discs for this purpose in the past on my older PC ...Can you tell me what might be causing the problem?
thank you,
t. computer

#351369 - 09/19/12 03:59 PM Re: To Bill Norrie (or others) re: CDs ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello T,

I know exactly what you're saying. It appears that Audio CD-RW discs are no longer available.
I am given to understand those that are on the shelves, (irrespective of their manufacture) are designed for use with computer data only. When the words 'music' or 'media' is shown on the label, they refer to music tracks either downloaded or composed using computer software which of course, means the older PC systems and CD player/recorders cannot read/play them.

What infuriates me is all this has happened without a single word of warning from the manufacturers. They could have at least given us some warning so that we could buy a bundle prior to their disappearance. I complained to TDK, Sony, Maxell and Staples about this a few weeks ago and not one of them has replied. To make matters worse, the shop assistants do not seem to understand the difference between Audio/Music CD-RW discs and the media/data type. The times I've been told "it says 'music' on the label madam, so it will definitely work..."

In contrast to my moaning, I love your little piano player banging his head on the piano - just about sums up how I feel about it all. Where did you get it?

Audrey

#351379 - 09/19/12 10:17 PM Re: To Bill Norrie (or others) re: CDs ... [Re: tony mads usa]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Tony,

Your problem could be...

1.The Memorex disks already have files/data on them, therefore they are not writable, even though they may appear blank, they may have been 'finalized' at some point. This is my best guess.

2.Sounds simple, but check anyway, be sure you select CD as your burn source, and not DVD.

3.Bad batch of CD's, or your burner may simply not like Memorex. Have you tried other brands?

I would also check for any firmware/driver updates for your CD Drive. Other than that...?

Keep us updated smile

FYI: A "Music" writable disk is no different than a regular writable CD, except Music disks cost more, with a small sum going to the music industry.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#351396 - 09/20/12 03:32 AM Re: To Bill Norrie (or others) re: CDs ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Tony, apologies for late reply - been away from home for a day.....
I'm not sure what is actually causing your problem - I've just tried to simulate your problem on my Windows 7 Laptop, however I don't have any Memorex discs. You mentioned a CD labeled 'AUDIO' - was this from a different manufacturer??

I placed a 'bog-standard' blank CD-R in the Laptop drive and this resulted in the 'AutoPlay' function starting, with the usual menu options : 'Burn an Audio CD using Windows Media Player' : 'Burn files to disc using Windows explorer' etc.
I selected 'Burn an audio CD using Windows Media Player' and the WMP window opened.
I then just looked for a random set of MP3 recordings in my Laptop's folders and dragged them to the appropriate area (burn List) in the WMP window and clicked on 'Start burn'.
The recording process started and when completed, ejected the CD-R.
I then re-inserted the CD-R and it played perfectly using Windows Media Player.........
The only thing I can suggest is that there may be some difference between Memorex discs and other manufacturer's discs so it may be worth trying another brand.

In the past, I have burned dozens of music CDs, both in .WAV and MP3 format, using many different brands (never Memorex or 'Audio' CD-R) and have never experienced any problems. I generally use a program called 'Ashampoo' for burning all my CDs and DVDs and found it to be a reliable and comprehensive utility.

#351456 - 09/20/12 05:05 PM Re: To Bill Norrie (or others) re: CDs ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I can also 'vouch' for the Ashampoo software. As Bill says it is very reliable burning both CDs and DVDs and the feature I like most, if you put in a wrong disc, it will tell you so.
Also, when copying/backing up to a disc, (particularly backup data discs), it will tell you how many discs you will need and suggest you identify them in some way before taking further action e.g. numbering them. I use this software regularly to backup my computer system.

Tony, I have successfully used Memorex and other makes of Audio discs in the past using my Sony CD Recorder/Player. Unfortunately, todays discs are 'geared' to doing everything on a computer and although my PC can be used this way, I find it much quicker and easier to use the Sony. I also think using the Sony produces a much better 'all-round' sound. On the odd occasion when I've used the PC, to me it sounds 'tinny' in comparison.

You have to remember that CD-RWs must be finalized before playing on a CD player and some of the older CD players are incompatible with them and therefore wont play at all. To get over this, just copy your finalized CD-RW to a CD-R, finalize it, and it will then play on any CD Player.

Audrey

#351648 - 09/24/12 03:08 PM Re: To Bill Norrie (or others) re: CDs ... [Re: tony mads usa]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Well...Tony??? Any Luck???
Inquiring minds want to know crazy

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#351671 - 09/24/12 09:24 PM Re: To Bill Norrie (or others) re: CDs ... [Re: lahawk]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Larry ... haven't had a chance to test again ... hopefully before the end of the week ...
Will let 'inquiring minds' know ... grin

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online