SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#340913 - 02/26/12 01:05 PM FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Hi, everyone!

The following question is something that I should have fully experienced and understood using the KN7000 but haven't. Ever since using the keyboard, I have settled on a general final overall sound. I think my sound choice is good but I think it could be better. I am speaking of using reverb. What I find so confusing is that there are several places where reverb can be changed. Starting with settings in SOUND. MENU for PART SETTINGS. Using the REVERB button on the front of the keyboard is what I guess is the total amount of reverb sound achieved for overall general type delay. There is reverb settings in COMPOSER. Also, reverb changes can be made in SOUND MENU under APC REVERB SETTING. Then there are the buttons on the keyboard for PART EFFECT and GLOBAL EFFECT. I tried pushing some of these buttons and I don't hear any changes. What is this VARIATION button about? I haven't found any real help in the manual.

Without my getting technical with exact reverb settings in COMPOSER, for the moment, let's just say that I have them set about right. HOWEVER, where is this reverb coming from for these settings? With that, here is what I have been using and it sounds pretty good but I wish I had that fantastic sound that is created in major studios. The sound I am referring to is more spacious and sounding bigger. This sound is not necessarily more reverb - just bigger and more spacious. Setting instruments in the keyboard to the extreme LEFT and RIGHT doesn't give the sound I am referring to.

Using the button for REVERB on the front of the keyboard, I have set the reverb to Concert2, TOTAL DEPTH: 80.

I generally have my reverb solo instruments set to the following in PART SETTING:
Piano - 64
Tenor Sax Soloist - 56 and at times, 64
Trombone - 64
Jazz Guitar solo - 64 up to 85
Strings vary - 85 and up to 127

The above are just some of the solo settings. I would appreciate your thoughts on these settings. Hopefully, someone can give me ideal settings using whatever is in the keyboard and apparently, there are many ways to get the best sound. I'm not sure I have come up with the best. This topic can be much addressed by many of you.

Thanks,

Mark

#340920 - 02/26/12 01:50 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: kitkat]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark, I feel you are right about the sound could improve. Reverb seems to spread the sound over a larger area but it also makes the sound thinner. It is a beautiful effect when used with properly.
I no longer have a Kn7 in my home so off the top of my head:
I used the panel memory to control reverb; Example – I used very little reverb for piano trying to keep the sound fat. With trumpet I used more and with strings as you said it varies.
The button on the right near the top “Reverb” is the overall reverb setting; Type and intensity. Room reverb for my home and concert 1 for playing out. It is the way I heard the music; different for others. There were times I hated the sound of the instrument only to find out the reverb was set badly.
Having said the above I must agree reverb is in many different areas; there are many on this forum who can give more of how to work with the different reverbs than I.
Enjoy your Kn7000, John C

PS, I do remember reading some post where the player said they always had the Kn7 hooked up to an EQ unit given them better control.

#340926 - 02/26/12 03:59 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: kitkat]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Mark,

This is an interesting subject you've brought up. The reason I say this is although I've had several Technics keyboards including the KN7, I've only ever changed the reverb to suit the room I'm playing in and as I've always been happy with the result, I haven't investigated the options much, but I will now that you've mentioned them.

You don't say whether you use any of the 'overall' settings which can be found by pressing:-

Program Menu,
Reverb & Effect,
REVERB, (2nd button, bottom right of screen)

Here you will find quite a few choices, each button when pressed, will not only give a variation to the whole sound of the keyboard but it also automatically makes the adjustments too. For me this works more often than not, so I haven't had the need to go into it further, which is why I can't give you a knowledgeable opinion on this but hopefully someone else will and I look forward to that.

Hope you get the answers you're looking for.

Audrey

#340944 - 02/26/12 09:51 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: bruno123]
kitkat Offline

Hi, John -

Thanks for your quick reply. I wasn't aware that more reverb caused sounds to have a thinner sound. I will check that out. I wish I understood the Global Effect. That seems like that should open the sound to be more spacious.

Mark

#340945 - 02/26/12 10:22 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: Audrey Turner]
kitkat Offline

Hi, Audrey -

Thanks for your suggestion. If one holds down the button on the Reverb on the front of the keyboard, it will bring up what you say to do by using the Program Menu and clicking on Reverb & Effect. I am aware of these several possibilities and this is where I have selected Concert2. The Total Depth choice numbers changes all these. I would like to know how to use the other choices on the front of the keyboard. I'm speaking of Part Effect and Global Effect. What would be especially helpful if someone knows how all these possibilities work together. Without repeating myself, for instance, where is the reverb coming from for adjusting reverb in all the COMPOSER parts? How does settings in these parts connect with the overall sound in a sequenced song? I am assuming that making any reverb adjustments in APC Reverb settings negates any settings made in COMPOSER. Bringing up the REVERB & EFFECT screen, there are several things to click on that I don't understand what they do sound wise. I am speaking of SOUND LOAD OPTION, ALLOCATION, SOUND DSP, MULTI...the list goes on.

Mark

#340999 - 02/27/12 04:00 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: kitkat]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Mark,

You are obviously very keen to learn all there is to know about your keyboard and two people that are most likely to provide the answers to your questions are:-

Alec Pagida and Bill Norrie.

I don't know whether Alec still visits this site, but Bill certainly does and he also has a KN website which will provide almost everything you wish to know about the KNs including some free style downloads. I suggest you take a look - I think the address for Bill is as follows:-

http://www.willumspages.co.uk/
If this is incorrect, why not ask Nigel - I'm sure he will know how to access the site.

Good luck!

Audrey

Edited by Nigel (02/29/12 12:01 AM)

#341004 - 02/27/12 07:00 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: Audrey Turner]
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Audrey for your suggestion. One thing that I did not make clear was that I am interested in the best final sound for RECORDED work. I realize that playing live involves changes to be made with the size of rooms. You not only have to consider the size of the room but how high or low the ceilings are. All this has to be considered for proper acoustics.

Again, my posting relates to final sound on recordings. I am somewhat surprised that only you and John have responded to this. Does this mean that most playing or recording with the Technics keyboards cares little about how they sound? I would think one would want to sound the very best and get the best sound out of the keyboard. It does surprise me that no one apparently has touched on this topic in the past.

I remember Alec was not only very helpful on the forum but totally knowledgeable on Technics keyboards.

Mark

#341052 - 02/28/12 01:12 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: kitkat]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark wrote:
One thing that I did not make clear was that I am interested in the best final sound for RECORDED work. I realize that playing live involves changes to be made with the size of rooms. You not only have to consider the size of the room but how high or low the ceilings are. All this has to be considered for proper acoustics.

Mark big difference; so you are recording. You just increased the job tenfold. I don’t mean to make this complicated but there is much to be aware of when recording.

What are you using to listen to the keyboard before recording? The headphones and amplified speakers that are desired are those which give you a flat response; this is so that the listener can make his own choices. Flat response means no EQ so to keep the original sound.

We all hear differently; especially seniors. When I go to listen to a guitar I have interest in buying my left ear hears the guitar different than my right. Ouch! People have created beautiful midi songs only to have someone played them back using the Computer speaker’s and the computer’s sound card. Never the same.

Mark, the list is long; my advice to you is to keep it simple and enjoy. I believe that most Kn7 players care about the overall sound but are more interested in making music and not recording; when they do record they keep it simple. If there is a need to go deeper, than post somewhere else where the topic is recording.

Too much information --- JUST Use an EQ --- Use your ear to judge the proper amount of reverb; and then post it here.

Take care, stay healthy, John C.

#341099 - 02/29/12 01:06 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: kitkat]
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Mark,
I may be criticized for not keeping it simple, however whether you are recording as you and I do or just playing for fun or pay, striving for the best sound quality is in everyones interest. I look at reverb as way of positioning a voice in the sound stage. Less reverb up front more toward the back in connection with panning. However, I feel the key to richer more interesting sound is through the editing of the great sounds our instrument has. Here are 2 examples: Combining Jazz Violin with Blues Harmonica or Solo Trumpet (with vibrato turned way down) with Alto Flute for nice fat lead sounds. Just a few thoughts - I'd be interested in hearing what you are doing with your recording projects.
Frank

#341103 - 02/29/12 02:41 PM Re: FINAL OVERALL SOUND QUALITY QUESTION [Re: kitkat]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Frank
You are one of the heavyweights in sound and styles. I am happy to see you posting.

Bernie

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online