SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69395 - 10/31/09 11:22 AM kn7000 switches off !!
roger brandon bradbury Offline

Loc: Willersey, Broadway
I was playing the keyboard when a crackling noise came on and the keyboard went off. No screen no panel lights, just the blue sd card light and the floppy light. Switched it off then on again and everything went well for a few minutes then, off it went again. Have done a reset and this did not help. Any ideas please ? Thank you all. Roger (forest of dean)

#69396 - 10/31/09 05:04 PM Re: kn7000 switches off !!
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Roger,

One of my KN7s did this and on investigation, by my brother (an ex jukebox engineer) discovered it was a faulty mains cable making a bad contact. He replaced it and the KN7 has been working well ever since.

However, I seem to recall a similar topic being raised on this Forum recently and it was suggested there was a 'dry' part somewhere within the keyboard itself.

I think Bill Norrie came up with an answer so perhaps you should ask him. He is extremely knowledgeable on the KN7000 keyboard so it would be worth asking him about it.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

#69397 - 11/01/09 02:42 AM Re: kn7000 switches off !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hello Roger,

One of my KN7s did this and on investigation, by my brother (an ex jukebox engineer) discovered it was a faulty mains cable making a bad contact. He replaced it and the KN7 has been working well ever since.

However, I seem to recall a similar topic being raised on this Forum recently and it was suggested there was a 'dry' part somewhere within the keyboard itself.

I think Bill Norrie came up with an answer so perhaps you should ask him. He is extremely knowledgeable on the KN7000 keyboard so it would be worth asking him about it.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

Audrey, Thank you for your message. Yes. I did change the cable as I always carry one with me. I was playing for about 90 minutes when it first happened, Bang,then the screen and all the panel lights went out. The Blue light and the floppy light remained on. I then restarted and it was fine for about 5 minutes. The kn7000 is my main keyboard and everything revolves around it. Any more advice please, repair locations in and around Gloucestershire ? Thank you all. Roger (Forest of Dean)

#69398 - 11/01/09 03:10 AM Re: kn7000 switches off !!

Another thought !!!! In the U/K. Has anyone a kn7000 or kn 2600 for sale ? 01594563024

------------------
Roger B

#69399 - 11/01/09 04:33 AM Re: kn7000 switches off !!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Roger,
I'm sorry to hear about your beloved KN7000 Some of my thoughts....
The fact that you can clear the problem by switching off for a while, would suggest that it is an overheating problem. There is a cooling fan inside the instrument, which may have siezed up or become faulty. To determine if it is operating, you will need to be in a very quiet environment to hear it running. I can hear the fans running in my KN7000s.....

After the instrument has been switched off - say overnight - and you switch it on again, does it then take around the 90 minutes before the fault appears again?

When the fault appears, place your hand on the top of the fixed case, about 18 inches from the left end. Is it quite hot? The power supply is located in this area...... If either of the above two conditions are true, it would tend to confirm an overheating problem.

There have been several reports of one of the voltage regulators in the power supply failing, however, this would normally result in total non-operation rather than a fault which can be cleared by switching off for a short period.

KN7000s do appear fairly regularly on eBay and another good source worth contacting, is www.whitleybayorgans.co.uk Although they are located in the North East of England, they do send out via couriers.

As far as repairers are concerned, there is one located in Essex - www.wdgreenhill.com/ They're not exactly in the Gloucester area but they may be able to help.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69400 - 11/01/09 07:54 AM Re: kn7000 switches off !!

A BIG thank you for your messages. Today I have run the kn7000 for 3 hours and it is still running. Now a big doubt has come into my playing so I am now going to get it looked at. I believe that the overheating may still be the problem. Will post the result and who repaired it for your information. Best wisher. Roger (Forest of Dean)

#69401 - 11/01/09 04:15 PM Re: kn7000 switches off !!
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello Roger,

Glad to hear you're now able to play the KN&.

Here is another repair contact for you:-

REPAIRS AND SPARE PARTS
JOHN LUNT
STAFFORDSHIRE ORGAN SERVICES
378 WALSALL ROAD
WALSALL WS6 6DN
Tel: 01922 412583
Email@ luntwilrose@aol.com

Also, if you look at the top of this Forum Home page, there is a repair contact name listed there.

All the best.

Audrey

#69402 - 11/05/09 01:43 AM Re: kn7000 switches off !!

Have now taken my sick kn7000 to the doctor and have left it in the waiting room. My wife is now consoling me and is comforting me in these anxious times. I will keep you informed to its treatment. In the meantime I will be playing the T2 ( hush hush ) Call me old fashioned but I still think the kn7000 is much easier to use. Roger. (Forest of Dean)

#69403 - 11/05/09 04:34 AM Re: kn7000 switches off !!
Audrey Turner Offline

Welcome to the 'Club' Roger.

I have recently bought a T3 and whilst I have no complaints with the keyboard itself, the operating system is atrocious. In all the years I have played musical instruments I have never had to deal with such a 'muddly' system complete with three, equally confusing manuals.

I share your opinon that the KN7000 is still the 'King' - for playing/voices/styles and User Friendliness, plus if linked to a good amplification system, you can barely tell the difference in the sound system.

I hope your KN will sooon recover and that you have a long and many happy hours with it.

Audrey

#69404 - 11/10/09 07:33 AM Re: kn7000 switches off !!

Result !!!!! The reason the kn7000 kept part switching off was that the power supply board had some dry parts and it needed soldering. I took it to a Mr. T. Crump in Kingswinford Phone 01384 70695 who was an ex Technics man. The cost ? £60.00. He also gave the keyboard a good look over. Well worth the price I thought. A good contact for Technics parts. Roger. ( Forest of Dean )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online