SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68381 - 03/28/09 04:17 AM Band In A Box
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Please don’t ban me from this prestigious forum for mentioning this software but does anyone use Band in a Box together with a Technics keyboard. As I can’t call myself a musician I thought it might be worth buying as a musical training aid.

It would be useful if styles could be swopped to and from my KN7000.

Any comments welcome

Glen

#68382 - 03/28/09 11:27 AM Re: Band In A Box
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Glen

That is perfectly OK. I have had BIAB for years, and have a KN7000(amongst others). I occasionally use it with a laptop and controller keyboard, but don't think you can interchange any styles, except maybe, a midifile to the KN7000. The program is great for what it does, but it won't change chords on the fly. If you know something I don't, please let us know.
Bernie

#68383 - 03/29/09 08:58 AM Re: Band In A Box
Glen Coyne Offline

Just to add a bit information to this post. I did buy Band in a Box version 2009 as I thought it would make a good training aid, but I'm having awful problems trying to get it to communicate with the KN7000. I have the midi in and midi out set to the Panasonic midi driver, if I then load a demo song into BIAB and press play the KN's rhythm starts playing. I can stop this by turning off Realtime Commands in the KN's Midi options. However very often the drum tracks play as a piano until I press GM reset in BIAB then the KN's Realtime Commands turns itself back on and the rhythm starts again.

I don't know if the problem is BIAB or my KN7000 and no one in the BIAB forum knows anything about the KN Keyboards.

I think I may have just wasted about £100.

Glen

#68384 - 03/29/09 10:45 AM Re: Band In A Box
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Glen,
I did not find the KN7000 Midi friendly, there is much to learn. If #10 are drums on the Midi file and #10 is piano on the KN7000 you will need to revoice the instruments.

It has been a while since I worked with midi but there are some very talented men on this forum that can help and explain.

No, you did not waste your money, you just bought a tool that will help you to learn.

John C.

#68385 - 03/29/09 12:39 PM Re: Band In A Box
Glen Coyne Offline

John

I have been trying to master midi on this keyboard for some time using programs such as Cubase, but as you say its not very midi friendly. Some people in the past have said use midi presets but even that doesn't really work. If you look in the blue reference guide under midi presets it shows the settings it configures.

With regard to BIAB it works OK if you use the built in software synth, but as soon as you try and use the KN as the sound source one problem occurs after another. I wish now I had got this sorted when there was proper Technics support available. The manual is basically just a reference guide when it comes to midi.

Can anyone suggest a midi wizard on this forum that I could send a personal message to try and sort this problem out. Anything I learn I will repost for the benefit of others.

Glen

#68386 - 03/30/09 08:16 PM Re: Band In A Box
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Glen,
I have a close friend put the midi idea behind him and is turning out some great midi files with his KN7000. I did my best recordings when I learned to use the KN 7000 sequencer, I no longer needed my encore
/Cakewalk program.

John C.

#68387 - 04/01/09 03:05 AM Re: Band In A Box
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Glen, I don't quite understand why you wish to use an external sequencing program, when the KN7000 has an excellent 16 track sequencer already built in - or am I missing something??

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68388 - 04/01/09 05:16 AM Re: Band In A Box
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Bill. or am I missing something??

Yes you are. BIAB is a auto song generating software which I have used from the old ATARI computer day.
My main usage is set BIAB to auto generate a Solo Improvisation around a melody. This is an excellent program and I would not look on it a purely just a sequencer as it has many wonderful thing under it's belt.
Anyone wanting to have a play can download a demo from www.pgmusic.com

#68389 - 04/01/09 05:37 AM Re: Band In A Box
Glen Coyne Offline

Hi Bill

Your right about the KN's sequencer its first class if you are a good keyboard player but I am more of a guitarist and if I create a sequence there are normally so many mistakes I like to see and edit it pictorially, thats where Cubase comes in. Its also great for recording several tracks of audio (in my case guitar parts).

My idea initially on buying BIAB was so I could quickly type in chords from a Fake Book, it literally only takes seconds, then try playing the melody. So it was meant as a learning package more than anything. The only thing I don't like about BIAB is most of the styles have a Jazzy feel and Jazz is not one of my favourite musical styles.

Glen

[This message has been edited by Glen Coyne (edited 04-01-2009).]

#68390 - 04/01/09 11:01 AM Re: Band In A Box
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Glen. The larest version BIAB 2009 MegaPack contains some very nice other style types far removed from the jazz feel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online