SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#66780 - 03/22/08 06:02 PM Technics and Midi file question
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Midi Files????
I found the KN7000 to be unfriendly when using midi files. I could save them with KN instrument sounds and they would sound better but I would not have much control when selecting and using. When changed to KN (NX) sounds I was not able to share them with any other keyboard but the KN7000.

I believe that if you were going to change the midi file so that the drums from a style in the Kn were used allowing you to then place fills and all the things you add in the KN midi files you create, like pads, then it is a good thing to do. The finished product will sound far better than the original.
There is a time commitment.

I am using VanBasco program, a free download and my laptop to play midi files. I can change the tempo, master volume, the pitch and I can mute the melody --- the program will remember all my changes when the song is called up again. There are ways to improve the sound of the midi files outside the KN7000.

My question is:
Why are you using any other program, (If you do) have I missed something?

John C.

#66781 - 03/22/08 06:42 PM Re: Technics and Midi file question
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi John,

I just recorded a song on the KN-7000, and then went through all the steps to convert the Technics file to a GM.

I'm not sure what happened, but the voice changes for the right hand never converted properly. On the original Technics sequence the right hand voice was a violin, but after converting to a GM, the violin was now an organ2 and remained an organ2 throughout the midi song even though I switched voices throughout the original Technics recording.

I also used pads that were never copied from Technics to GM, leaving a gap where the pads were used. I'm not sure what happened to the pads.

I use VanBasco, and is a great free program, but I use Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 for editing midis. I have it set up with the file names for a Yamaha PSR-3000, where I can make voice changes easier than on a keyboard. I'm not sure if there are any KN-7000 definition files for Cakewalk.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 03-22-2008).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#66782 - 03/22/08 08:00 PM Re: Technics and Midi file question

Hi Larry,
GM sounds should be the same on all units that play back Midi files, that’s why they are called GM—General Midi.

Not so with the different keyboards --- #1 could be a Trumpet on one keyboard and a Trombone on another. Each keyboard has it’s own Midi file instrumentation. Yes, I remember people on this forum having a Midi instrument list. The blue booklet that came with the keyboard had that information. (Definition files)

I would load a Midi file into my Kn7000 and found that all the instruments, solo and in the style were converted to Grand Piano. Or create a Midi file with Cakewalk load it into the Kn7 and find al Grand Pianos again. When I loaded it back to Cakewalk it was a complete mix up. I know there are ways to solve these problems but I found the whole business not very friendly.

If I remember correctly a style has six different parts, when created to a GM file they are put into six different tracks and you have to rename them.

I have seen my friend download or create a midi file and load it into his Kn7000. He revoiced all the instruments and then saved it as a Technics Midi files – and then as a Technics Style file. Lot’s of work but what a great sound.

Larry, sorry but I put the problem away -- All my Technics files stay as Technics files. The Vocal Harmony and the Technics/Midi are to very poor areas of the Kn7 – All the other parts a just great. The keyboard can do what is necessary to work with Midi files but there are far too many steps.I feel the KN7000 has an excellent sequencer and editor so all my work is done with the keyboard. If I need to share it I record it as a Wave file.

I am not pushing but when I record a sequence each part including the styles are in separate midi tracks. I can send it out as is to any one who has a unit which can play Midi files.

Larry, Repairing from losing a dad is not a nice place but parts of him continue in your keyboard. My Dad was a Piano tuner he taught me the trade and every time I pick up one of his piano tools I have to smile, it’s him.

Take care, John C.

#66783 - 03/23/08 05:45 PM Re: Technics and Midi file question
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Larry,

Quote "I'm not sure what happened, but the voice changes for the right hand never converted properly. On the original Technics sequence the right hand voice was a violin, but after converting to a GM, the violin was now an organ2 and remained an organ2 throughout the midi song even though I switched voices throughout the original Technics recording.
I also used pads that were never copied from Technics to GM, leaving a gap where the pads were used. I'm not sure what happened to the pads."

The reason these changes were not converted to your MIDI file is that the commands or event instructions used to make the changes in the KN7000, are not part of any MIDI specification - the commands are unique to the KN7000 and therefore would not be understood by a MIDI device.
The MIDI spec. includes specific instruction codes to change or define a particular voice (Instrument) and unless the file includes these specific instructions, the voices will not change.

Other commands on the KN7000 such as Panel Memory Settings/Changes, Fill-ins, Performance Pads etc. are also unique to the KN7000 and again, will not be recognised when converting a recording to MIDI format.

It should be possible to use a MIDI editor program, such as Cakewalk, to insert commands, such as voice changes, into a KN7000 to MIDI converted file, however, you would still of course, be confined to MIDI voices only.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#66784 - 03/24/08 07:33 AM Re: Technics and Midi file question
lahawk Offline

Bill,

Quote:
the commands are unique to the KN-7000 and therefore would not be understood by a MIDI device.

You are correct, as I found out.
What I ended up doing...I loaded the
midi file recorded on the KN-7000 in the
PSR-3000, made the voice changes on the PSR-3000 and saved.

John is also correct,
Quote:
I found the KN-7000 to be unfriendly when using midi files.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#66785 - 03/24/08 09:20 AM Re: Technics and Midi file question

Larry, I brought together three Technics owners about three years ago. One a sax man who needed midi files for his background, the other an inventor, one of his inventions was the element that allows Teflon to adhere to a frying pan. He has also patterns involving fraud in money handling. All that is to say we were qualified with general intelligence.

With no exaggeration, we were together four days of that week. We can work with midi files successfully – we can use Cakewalk, and we can transfer to different instruments.

Our conclusion: If we were to do a few midi files it could be done but the Technics system was too much work to be used for midi files. This is not to say that creating midi files within the KN7000 is not good, in fact I would say it is excellent – But it must stay in your KN7 to remain friendly.

IMHO, John C.

#66786 - 03/24/08 12:15 PM Re: Technics and Midi file question
lahawk Offline

John,

As I said, I recorded a song on a Technics KN-7000, and went through the long process of saving (creating) as a midi file. It sounded awful as a midi file, as the right hand voices did not transfer, and pads were lost.

I then took that KN-7000 midi file, and loaded it into a PSR-3000. Made voice changes and saved. I then loaded it back into the KN-7000 and the midi file played decent...not as good as on the PSR-3000, and certainly not as good as the original Technics recording... but it was decent.

I understand your point that a KN-7000 midi file should remain in the KN-7000, but one can edit midi files recorded on a KN-7000 with OK results in an external midi editor. I find Yamaha PSR's easy to edit midi files. It IS the default file for Yamaha after all.

Good stuff...I'll soon post the 3 files:
The original Technics Recording file.
The same recording converted to SMF on the 7000.
The same recording, edited in a PSR-3000.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online