SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#66760 - 03/20/08 10:09 AM Panning
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Bill I trisd your instructions re panning, but it was not what I was looking for, what I wanted was the sound to increase in loudness then fade alternatally from left to right if you follow me. On some tunes from groups on radio, this effect can be heard.
Derek

#66761 - 03/21/08 04:17 PM Re: Panning
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Derek

I fear there is no easy answer to your problem, but here is a rough outline of possible methods. Others more knowledgeable may have some better suggestions.
For individual parts, Pan and amplitude are among the parameters that can be assigned to Modulation Wheel and/or After touch using the Controller section of the Sound Edit Menu.
It may then be possible to record your desired effects on an individual track added to a sequence, possibly using the Mod Wheel for panning and an expression pedal assigned only to the part you are recording to control volume.
Another approach is to use a separate MIDI controller which allows you to assign the pan function to its expression pedal, enabling you to control the KN7000 Pan via the MIDI connection.
A third, but very tedious approach, is to record your entire song on the KN and convert it to a MIDI file. You then save the MIDI file to disk and load it into a suitable sequencer program running on a PC. You can then generate a MIDI event list and edit it to insert pan and volume commands to suit your requirements. You can then play the edited MIDI file in the sequencer on your KN via a MIDI connection and fine tune your event list until satisfied. Save the new file to disk which you can then use in your KN.

len

[This message has been edited by manorcourt1991 (edited 03-21-2008).]

#66762 - 03/21/08 05:31 PM Re: Panning
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Derek,

The way I do it is very simple, as follows:-

Press: PROGRAMME MENUS
Press: SOUND
Press: PART SETTING

Here you will see PART SELECT (top lefthand corner) under which is shown what is set to Right 1. You can scroll through the up/down buttons to see what is in all parts of the keyboard and alter any one of them if you wish.

At the bottom of the screen (third from left) is shown PAN under which is the up/down buttons and this is what I use.
e.g. if I'm using Piano in Rt1 and Strings in Rt2, I will use the down button to pan the strings to the left which makes the sound come from the bottom end of the keyboard. As I like a fairly deep piano with strings, I will use the KEY SHIFT to take the piano down 12 notches which allows the piano to play one octave lower. This is not to be confused with the Octave Up or Down, which moves ALL up or down an octave, the Keyshift only moves the part you tell it to.

There is another way of doing something similar by using the Technicord/Orchestrator and part 4 but that's another story. Try the panning button first - it might just be what you are looking for.

With regards to the fading of the sound, you will see the Volume button also on this screen and if it were me I would probably have one 'leader' sound with a slightly higher volume plus I would have the FADE IN/FADE OUT button set to accommodate the the effect you are trying to achieve which would be set going OUT on panel memory 1 and coming back in again on panel memory 2, (or vice versa depending your choice) both being controlled by my Foot Controller. Of course all this is trial and error and will take time for you to get it just how you want it and when you do don't forget to "SAVE IT" to an SD Card...

Good luck! Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 03-21-2008).]

#66763 - 03/22/08 10:23 AM Re: Panning
D.Munson Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hello Derek,

Here you will see PART SELECT (top lefthand corner) under which is shown what is set to Right 1. You can scroll through the up/down buttons to see what is in all parts of the keyboard and alter any one of them if you wish.

At the bottom of the screen (third from left) is shown PAN under which is the up/down buttons and this is what I use.
e.g. if I'm using Piano in Rt1 and Strings in Rt2, I will use the down button to pan the strings to the left which makes the sound come from the bottom end of the keyboard. As I like a fairly deep piano with strings, I will use the KEY SHIFT to take the piano down 12 notches which allows the piano to play one octave lower. This is not to be confused with the Octave Up or Down, which moves ALL up or down an octave, the Keyshift only moves the part you tell it to.

There is another way of doing something similar by using the Technicord/Orchestrator and part 4 but that's another story. Try the panning button first - it might just be what you are looking for.

With regards to the fading of the sound, you will see the Volume button also on this screen and if it were me I would probably have one 'leader' sound with a slightly higher volume plus I would have the FADE IN/FADE OUT button set to accommodate the the effect you are trying to achieve which would be set going OUT on panel memory 1 and coming back in again on panel memory 2, (or vice versa depending your choice) both being controlled by my Foot Controller. Of course all this is trial and error and will take time for you to get it just how you want it and when you do don't forget to "SAVE IT" to an SD Card...

Good luck! Audrey

Thank you both Audrey and Len for your advice on panning, I'm going to try Audrey's method first and see how I get on.
Derek

#66764 - 03/23/08 07:07 AM Re: Panning
D.Munson Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hello Derek,

Good luck! Audrey

Well I tried your method Audrey but couldn't get what I wanted, perhaps I'm asking too much of the KN7k
Derek

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online