SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#50920 - 02/26/07 08:20 PM KN 5000 Help needed with registration probs when step tiime recording
AUSSIEKEYS Offline

Loc: SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
KN 5000 Help needed with time signature probs when step time recording

edit;sorry I meant time signature after first draft was lost due to not recognising my username.so redid it in a hurry [then later I couldnt edit the heading]

just got a KN 5000 recently...love it but
I cant seem to create a 2/4 bar in a sequence...even substituting POLKA 2/4 [only one I could find] into that bar ..
this polka 2/4 rythym seems to be a 4/4 as it changes on the 4th beat not the second
Im wanting to go from a 4/4 into a 2/4 and back again..basically A half bar chord.as it steps down to meet the end chord of a passage.

i hope I'm explaining myself properly..I dont think my musical knowledge is at fault here or is it...tee hee.

a bit urgent as Im trying to get some basic backing too my originals for an upcoming performance

I cant find any way to change the time signature in recording from 4/4 to anything else?

gee I wish the 5000 would convert to midi files without me playing into another sequencer or rerouting midi cables back into 5000

[This message has been edited by AUSSIEKEYS (edited 02-26-2007).]

#50921 - 02/27/07 05:26 AM Re: KN 5000 Help needed with registration probs when step tiime recording
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi and Welcome to the Forum

I had this problem when trying to sequence a song and 'messed about' for ages, trying to insert a 2/4 bar in a 4/4 sequence. Unfortunately, I never found a satisfactory solution and just stuck with the 4/4 time all the way through the song.
Having thought about it again, you might be able to momentarily change to a 2/4 time signature, by storing a 2/4 style in one of the Panel Memories and switching to that Panel Memory for just the required amount of time - Messy!!
I haven't tried this but it might be worth experimenting. You could possibly use the Sequencer editor to make the change in the Control Track, post recording.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50922 - 02/27/07 12:12 PM Re: KN 5000 Help needed with registration probs when step tiime recording
AUSSIEKEYS Offline

Thanks Bill

glad Im not the only one

yes already tried what you said substituting a 2/4 polka but unfortunately if you play the polka it actually plays as a 4/4...when its placed in the sequencer

its not noticable as a playalong but when its in a sequenced song watch the bar numbers change and it changes on every 4th beat .

its a strange sequencer when time signatures cannot be changed....

its amazing that the displayed time signature cannot be scrolled to and then edited via the alpha dial

anyone else have this problem

cheers from downunder
I have done a search of the fiorum and notice a few people experiencing time signature woes.

ps. a cheat method maybe to offset the whole sequence by a half bar.
this would mean inserting a rest [if not as I cant find one then just a chord] for half a bar in the start and activating the first chord.so a whole chord extends over 2 chords...ie the first half of rythym plays in the second half of the first bar and the second half of that same rythym plays in the first half of that bar.Though I dont think a rythym could be activated halfway thru a bar...can it? I will try forthewith

just tried it...result,[yes I did manage to fake it this way,,,but the Rythyms actually changed at thier halfway points making a messy inside/out, chord/rythym.And there was still a half bar before the beginning..but I could have went in and individually removed every note from that first half bar.]
is there any Software downloadable upgrade that fixes this problem.Latest version perhaps?

Alternatively I can sequence the chord progression on another sequencer and play it into the KN 5000 but I dought it will recognise a half bar...but worse i dought it will recognise a chord change starting in the middle of a bar,,ie the following 4/4 after the 2/4 [as the 4/4 will now be starting halfway thru a bar]

thanks for any advice.

what I thought would be a quick way to mock up my original songs has turned into another learning curve of which I have a studio full of..but Im getting used to it...

[This message has been edited by AUSSIEKEYS (edited 02-27-2007).]

#50923 - 02/28/07 02:22 AM Re: KN 5000 Help needed with registration probs when step tiime recording
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi again,

You're right about the Polka being implemented over 4 beats, so that won't solve your problem.
However, using the Composer, it is possible to create any time signature from 1/4 through to 8/4. So if you make your own 2/4 style, based on the original 4/4 style you are using within the Song/Tune and save it within a Panel Memory, then you could insert this new style either whilst recording the sequence or by editing after recording.
Since it will be a very short passage, I suppose you could make your new style a 6/4 time signature, which would make it a little easier to control, during sequence recording.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50924 - 02/28/07 02:40 AM Re: KN 5000 Help needed with registration probs when step tiime recording
AUSSIEKEYS Offline

thanks Bill

Im actually doing that very thing tonight probably as your email notification came thru

And was enjoying the pattern composer for the first time..and I set up a true 2/4 pattern ...as I too realised that even though technics had implemented its 2/4 as a 4/4.
It should be possible to insert that new 2/4 pattern I create into the step time sequencer.

Unfortunately the wonderfull 2/4 pattern i created dissapeared into space lost forever...but i know I'll sought out the storing of said new pattern...I was just about to try and save the user pattern area to a disk [incase I loose some of it..but ironically some of the patterns that are resident in it ,actually glitch and stop...I dont know whats wrong there..surely not previous owners innability to sequence patterns..perhaps corrupted?
once cleared I presumably will be able to store my own patterns there.

So Ill get back to you later as i think my solution should work as you have backed that thought up.
it was only Technics implementing its 2/4 Polka as a 4/4 that threw me in the first place...I do have a handle on sequencers as I have used many hardware sequencers in the past.
My favourite being an Akai ASQ10 a great and powerful early sequencer.
thanks Bill I'll tell you how I go.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online