SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#39732 - 01/30/07 03:43 AM Slowing down a song near the end?
runner50 Offline

Loc: Geneva
I am using easy record to record a song without using auto-play. As the song nears its end, I want to continue to play the chords that will end it but also rotate the tempo wheel so it closes down completely but ends professionally and not abruptly. Also, I want to go back into easy record and record one track of strings when I need them. Could someone help with that? Thanks to all those who can assist me with these two concerns. I have a KN6000

#39733 - 01/30/07 03:52 PM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Runner,

You've now got me thinking as to how I would do that. Firstly though have you thought about using the FADE OUT button? This can be set to a given amount of time to fade out which is excellent for strings.

My own settings for strings are No.4 for the FADE IN and No.10 for FADE OUT. To use this facility, go to Program Menu, Control,
Fade In/Fade Out, then use the up and down buttons to make your choice.

There are several ways of dealing with your second problem. 1) Use the MY FAVOURITES facility, 2)save to a Panel Memory, 3) save all your settings to one of the Banks, 4) save all to the Custom Stylist where they will be safe as anything else you might load into the keyboard will not overwrite your settings until you yourself change them and you can go from one track to another either manually or, by putting on the Music Style Arranger button and using the fill-in buttons which will automatically change the tracks for you.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 01-30-2007).]

#39734 - 01/30/07 03:56 PM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Hopefully others with more knowledge will reply, but I THINK the only way to slow down the tempo during playback is by setting panel memories with the same voices, but different tempos ... not exactly the smoothest way to accomplish this ...

After the easy record, I believe you can then go in and during playback do a 'realtime' record for the tracks/voices you want, and just add them in the measures you want them ...
Good Luck ...
t.

#39735 - 01/30/07 05:31 PM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
If you always intend to play this song using the sequencer, you can achieve a good slow-down effect by editing in the CONTROL track of the sequence. There are two ways of doing this : in step mode and Real Time mode.
Step Mode:
After recording, play back the sequence and make a note of the measure number at which you wish to start the slow-down process and also note the last measure number.

For the purposes of this explanation, lets assume that you wish to start the slow-down at measure 95 and the sequence ends at measure 100 and that the initial Tempo is 150.
Stop the sequence and go in to the sequence editor by pressing Program Menus > Sequencer > Record & Edit > Step Record > 6/CTL. Cursor forward until you reach measure number 95, as noted previously.
Turn the TEMPO dial Anti-clockwise and you will see the adjusted Tempo appear at the foot of the screen. Set the value to say 145 and press 'YES'. You should hear a short Beep and an Asterisk will appear in the Control track.
Cursor forward to the beginning of the next beat of measure 95 and reduce the Tempo by another 5 points to 140 and press 'YES'. Again You should hear a short Beep and an Asterisk will appear in the Control track. Keep repeating this process, reducing the Tempo in steps, until you reach the last measure (100).
Play back your sequence and decide whether the slow-down is satisfactory. If it is not to your liking, then just go back into the editor, and either adjust the values of the Tempo changes under each Asterisk, or change the position of the adjustment points.

Real Time Mode :
After recording, SAVE your sequence to DISK before proceeding. Play back the sequence and make a note of the measure number at which you wish to start the slow-down process and also note the last measure number.
For the purposes of this explanation, again, lets assume that you wish to start the slow-down at measure 95 and the sequence ends at measure 100.

Press Program Menus > Sequencer > Record & Edit > RealTime Record. Press the button next to CYCLE : OFF to change this to CYCLE : ON - the display changes. Set the START MEASURE to say 5 measures before the start of the slow-down point (ie measure 90) - this just allows you some time to listen and watch for the start point of the slow-down. Set the END MEASURE to the last measure of the sequence (100).
Press EXIT once to return to the sequencer screen and then press the 6/CTL button twice, to set the indication to 'REC'. Press the START/STOP and then listen and monitor the sequence, watching for the measure at which you wish to start the slow-down (95). Turn the TEMPO dial slowly Anti-Clockwise, reducing the Tempo, whilst monitoring the measure number. When final measure (100) is indicated, press the 'REC STOP' button. Press the 'CYCLE :ON' button once to turn Off the Cycle function.

Since this Realtime recording process ADDS extra events in the control track, if you are not happy with the changes you have just made, you cannot just repeat the process, without first deleting the extra events which you have just recorded. So, the easiest way to proceed, is to just re-load your original sequence and try again.

The above explanation is based on the KN7000 editing facilities and since it's been some time since I had a KN6000, I can't remember if the procedure is identical. However, I hope this gives you the general idea

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#39736 - 01/30/07 05:58 PM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
runner50 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Who better than you, Willum to so eloquently describe not one way but 2 ways to slow down a tempo. My only question, Will, is once the stepdowns are done and saved to disc, would I have to insert an actual intro 1 or 2 ending so when the last beat of the percussion is done, the song will end very smoothly or can I just fade out the last few measures of the drums?

Thanks for all the time you spend writing all the details on this.

MikeF

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
If you always intend to play this song using the sequencer, you can achieve a good slow-down effect by editing in the CONTROL track of the sequence. There are two ways of doing this : in step mode and Real Time mode.
Step Mode:
After recording, play back the sequence and make a note of the measure number at which you wish to start the slow-down process and also note the last measure number.

For the purposes of this explanation, lets assume that you wish to start the slow-down at measure 95 and the sequence ends at measure 100 and that the initial Tempo is 150.
Stop the sequence and go in to the sequence editor by pressing Program Menus > Sequencer > Record & Edit > Step Record > 6/CTL. Cursor forward until you reach measure number 95, as noted previously.
Turn the TEMPO dial Anti-clockwise and you will see the adjusted Tempo appear at the foot of the screen. Set the value to say 145 and press 'YES'. You should hear a short Beep and an Asterisk will appear in the Control track.
Cursor forward to the beginning of the next beat of measure 95 and reduce the Tempo by another 5 points to 140 and press 'YES'. Again You should hear a short Beep and an Asterisk will appear in the Control track. Keep repeating this process, reducing the Tempo in steps, until you reach the last measure (100).
Play back your sequence and decide whether the slow-down is satisfactory. If it is not to your liking, then just go back into the editor, and either adjust the values of the Tempo changes under each Asterisk, or change the position of the adjustment points.

Real Time Mode :
After recording, SAVE your sequence to DISK before proceeding. Play back the sequence and make a note of the measure number at which you wish to start the slow-down process and also note the last measure number.
For the purposes of this explanation, again, lets assume that you wish to start the slow-down at measure 95 and the sequence ends at measure 100.

Press Program Menus > Sequencer > Record & Edit > RealTime Record. Press the button next to CYCLE : OFF to change this to CYCLE : ON - the display changes. Set the START MEASURE to say 5 measures before the start of the slow-down point (ie measure 90) - this just allows you some time to listen and watch for the start point of the slow-down. Set the END MEASURE to the last measure of the sequence (100).
Press EXIT once to return to the sequencer screen and then press the 6/CTL button twice, to set the indication to 'REC'. Press the START/STOP and then listen and monitor the sequence, watching for the measure at which you wish to start the slow-down (95). Turn the TEMPO dial slowly Anti-Clockwise, reducing the Tempo, whilst monitoring the measure number. When final measure (100) is indicated, press the 'REC STOP' button. Press the 'CYCLE :ON' button once to turn Off the Cycle function.

Since this Realtime recording process ADDS extra events in the control track, if you are not happy with the changes you have just made, you cannot just repeat the process, without first deleting the extra events which you have just recorded. So, the easiest way to proceed, is to just re-load your original sequence and try again.

The above explanation is based on the KN7000 editing facilities and since it's been some time since I had a KN6000, I can't remember if the procedure is identical. However, I hope this gives you the general idea

#39737 - 01/31/07 04:21 AM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Mike,

It is entirely up to you how you wish to end your song. If you just wish to finish the song by slowing down the final few bars, without using Ending 1 or Ending 2, then just proceed as I described above, using your own playing-out phrase till the final measure.
If you wish to use one of the built-in endings, then you could implement the slow-down process over the duration of the actual Ending, or even part of the Ending. Let's assume your recorded song included one of the built-in Endings. Say your actual Song sequence is 96 measures long and during the recording process, you hit the Ending 1 at the start of measure 97. If the Ending is 4 measures in length and you decide to use the Realtime method, then just start turning the TEMPO dial at the start of measure 97 and the entire Ending will be slowed down.
If you decide to use the Step time method, then in the sequencer editor, just start entering the extra events in the CONTROL track at the start of measure 97, and continue throughout the next 4 measures. This will cause the entire Ending phrase to slow down.
In addition to the slow-down at the end of the sequence, you could also add a Fade-out during the slow-down.
Probably the easiest way to add a Fade-out to an existing sequence is to use the Step time method. Enter the Sequencer editor as described above and select the 6/CTL track. Cursor forward to the measure at which you wish the Fade-out to begin and press FADE OUT. You should hear a short Beep and see an Asterisk appear in the Control track. One thing to note : the length of the Fade-out process can be adjusted between 1 and 16 measures. It is best to adjust the Fade out length to match the number of measures between the point at which the Fade-out starts and the point at which the total sequence ends.
To adjust the Fade-out duration, press Program Menus > Control > Fade In/Out settings, then use the controls to set the required duration of the Fade-out.

One other point - If your existing sequence does not include one of the Built-in endings and you wish to add an ending, the procedure is described in Tech Tip number 13 on my website.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley

#39738 - 01/31/07 02:12 PM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Bill,

I've been following this post with interest and again have learned a a great deal from your last reply as I only use the Real Time Record. However, I do have a question for you and it is "Can the preset Intros and Endings be slowed down in the same way?

The reason for asking is I have often thought that some of the intros/endings are either too fast/too slow/ or do not exactly complement the tune I am playing and it would be nice to be able to 'tweak' them to suit.

Look forward to your reply on this and thanks in advance.

Audrey

#39739 - 02/01/07 03:39 AM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Audrey,
The procedures I posted above, relate only to Sequenced songs, since the Slow-Down effect is achieved by extra events in the CONTROL track of the sequencer.
As far as I am aware, the only ways to directly achieve a similar effect during a Live performance, have already been mentioned above :
1. Turn the Tempo dial whilst playing (Not too easy !!).
2. Set up a series of Panel Memories to have identical Sound and Style settings, but insert different Tempos in adjacent Panel Memories. You could then step through the Panel Memories using a Footswitch.

There are a couple of alternatives :
Play your own Intros/Endings in real time, at your desired Tempo - starting and stopping the selected style as required.

Copy one of the existing built-in styles into COMPOSER and then delete the Intros and/or Endings and create your own. You would then of course, use the COMPOSER style instead of the built-in style.
You can hear an example of this on my WMA files page - number 97 'I Left My Heart In San Francisco'

Aldous Huxley

#39740 - 02/01/07 04:54 AM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
technicsplayer Offline

no, by far the easist method has not been mentioned so far, set footswitch to tap tempo leaving both hands free.

#39741 - 02/02/07 03:02 PM Re: Slowing down a song near the end?
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Technics Player,

Of course - simple, now why didn't I think of that? I always seem to do things the "hard" way. I'll try that out as soon as I have a "minute to spare". I never thought I'd say that ever again when I retired, but I seem to be busier now than when I was at work. Ah well! at least I'm doing things I enjoy, particularly music related matters.

Thanks for your tip anyway!

Regards, Audrey

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online