SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64069 - 10/26/06 09:28 AM MP3 files
ochre aka ogre Offline

Loc: UK
As time permits, over the past few weeks I've been trying to make an MP3 recording. Am using Audacity and Lame, recommended as being suitable ( and of course they're free!} and altho I can see the recorded graphs on the Audacity page I'm not producing sound from it. I think I should have Audacity and Lame working together but can't find how to do this. Can anyone give me a very simple step by step idiot's guide to achieving success??

Peter

#64070 - 10/26/06 01:54 PM Re: MP3 files
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi, have you tried to use the KN7000 audio recorder as supplied with your keyboard. the output of this then can be converted by many software packages to what ever format you need. best regards John.

#64071 - 10/27/06 06:29 AM Re: MP3 files
ochre aka ogre Offline

Mmmmm. Don't remember getting an audio recorder but - that was about 3 years ago when I got the kn 7ooo - a search is called for while I disappear into the attic... Thanks John.

Peter

#64072 - 10/28/06 04:09 AM Re: MP3 files
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Peter,
It's on a floppy disk. If you don't find it, we can easily send a copy via personal EMail.
Walt

#64073 - 10/28/06 04:55 AM Re: MP3 files
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
In UK, The Audio Recorder was included on a CD called 'Applications and Drivers' - might have been different in other parts of the world ??
You can download a copy of the files on the CD from the 'Tech Tips' page of my website : www.willumspages.co.uk - it's tip number 15

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#64074 - 10/28/06 05:49 AM Re: MP3 files
ochre aka ogre Offline

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Peter

#64075 - 10/29/06 11:17 AM Re: MP3 files
ochre aka ogre Offline

It's me again :

Seems as if the audio recorder needs to be us'b direct to the keyboard and my in struments are in different rooms and can't overcome this problem. So... looks as if I'm back to my original request for help with the audacity system Please.

Peter

#64076 - 10/29/06 04:38 PM Re: MP3 files
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Peter, From what you say about the locations of your equipment, I assume that you are connecting some kind of portable audio recorder to your keyboard and having made a recording, you then connect the recorder to your PC ?
There's a collection of Tutorials for Audacity here : http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/tutorials which I think you will find useful.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

Aldous Huxley

#64077 - 10/30/06 09:18 AM Re: MP3 files
ochre aka ogre Offline

'pon my soul, Willum,you've given me some reading to do - which should keep me quiet for a while but before I disappear, I'm still a bit puzzled. My understanding is that Audacity has to be married up to Lame for it to work and I can't see any mention of this in the reading I've done so far. I've obviously successfully recorded onto audacity cos the graphics appear, but when I press the green(play) button Windows Media player tells me that it doesn't recognise the file extension, ie the file type or codec used to compress the file. Nero tells me the same thing.
Just noticed on the top of this page an advert for "free" audacity and for EasyRecorder V5. Wonder if the latter will do the trick. Wonder too if it's a freebie???

Peter

#64078 - 10/31/06 03:31 AM Re: MP3 files
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Peter,

Having installed the Lame MP3 Encoder on your PC, you need to inform Audacity where the Encoder is located on your hard drive and then the program should find the Encoder automatically.

If you are still experiencing problems, try downloading the latest version which is available here : http://www.mp3-tech.org/software/encoders/lamewin32.exe

When you access this link, just choose to 'Run' the application. If you receive a security warning, just click on 'Run' and the downloading process will start. Agree to the software license and on the next screen, untick all options except 'Lame 3.94' and click on 'Next'. Accept the default location for the installation (C:\Program Files\Lame) and click on 'Install' - the installation will proceed. Close the window when completed.
Now when you wish to save an MP3 file through Audacity, the first time you choose the option to save as an MP3, Audacity will attempt to find the Lame encoder files. If it cannot find the files, a message will appear on the screen, advising you of this fact and asking if you would like to locate the Lame Encoder.
Click on 'Yes' and when the 'Where is Lame_enc.dll' window opens, navigate to the 'C:\Program Files\Lame' folder, where you should see the 'lame_enc.dll' file - now click on 'Open'. Audacity will then note the location of the Lame Encoder. You only need to do this once and during future MP3 save operations, the program will automatically find the Encoder.

Aldous Huxley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online