SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38670 - 08/18/06 11:55 AM Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
By way of background, I don’t own a Technics keyboard myself, but I do have a local friend who does. And while he makes good music with his unit, he is not familiar with all the ins and outs of the machine. I’m trying to get a couple of styles that presently reside in my friend’s Custom Memory onto an SD card so I can take them to a PC and convert them using EMC Styleworks to play on my Tyros. (I’ve had experience with the Styleworks conversion process and know I can make that happen.)

Frank Bez, whom I have met, has been kind enough to offer some help via email in trying to accomplish the above. But there must be something I’m doing wrong because I can’t make the transfer happen.

I’m posting the steps given to me by Frank that I’ve tried and perhaps someone out there can point out where I may have gone wrong.

Go to the Program Menu
Select Composer
Select Custom Copy
Remember the location of the Custom Style and switch arrow if necessary
so the Custom is on the left
Choose the Memory bank
Press OK
Press SD Button
Press SAVE
Go to 2nd page and turn all parts off except Composer
Press SAVE

When I follow the above mentioned procedure, what happens is that a pre-existing style residing in the specific Composer Memory location I’ve chosen (say A, for example) gets saved on the SD card rather than the style I wanted from Custom Memory. In my case this happened to be an 8-beat style. When I reported this to Frank, he suggested clearing the Composer Memory first. I then tried the steps again, this time clearing the appropriate Computer Memory location in the process. The display indicated “clear” for that location, and then, in fact, showed that I had successfully placed the desired style into that Composer Memory location. So I thought things would be fine after that. But much to my surprise, when I ran the .cmp file through the Styleworks program, I again got a conversion of the same 8-beat style. (I did reformat the SD card prior to trying this procedure for the second time, so I know that the original 8-beat style had been removed – it had to have been saved via this second attempt.)

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might be happening? Are there any other ways to transfer styles residing in Custom Memory to an SD card?

#38671 - 08/18/06 04:09 PM Re: Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello,

When you have the style set up as you want it, Press SD Card, SD Tools and you will see on the right hand side (one up from bottom) there is "Custom Styles Tools" Press this button and and see if this is what you need to do. Not having used this function myself, I cannot advise you further.

However, if it is a CUSTOM STYLIST style you are trying to save, then you will have to go Programme Menu, Custom Style Copy, where you should see your chosen style in one the boxes. (usually on the lefthand side marked FROM) Press the DIRECTION to change the arrow to a Memory Bank of your choice, OK it, Exit and you will then see your settings in the Bank you have chosen. This can then be saved to SD in the normal way.

Hope this helps.

Aud (U.K.)

#38672 - 08/18/06 07:44 PM Re: Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
SBPC Offline

Thanks for replying, Audrey. On my next opportunity, I'll give your suggestions a try. It would sure help if I undertsood the internal workings of the KN7000 better than I do.
Paul C.

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hello,

When you have the style set up as you want it, Press SD Card, SD Tools and you will see on the right hand side (one up from bottom) there is "Custom Styles Tools" Press this button and and see if this is what you need to do. Not having used this function myself, I cannot advise you further.

However, if it is a CUSTOM STYLIST style you are trying to save, then you will have to go Programme Menu, Custom Style Copy, where you should see your chosen style in one the boxes. (usually on the lefthand side marked FROM) Press the DIRECTION to change the arrow to a Memory Bank of your choice, OK it, Exit and you will then see your settings in the Bank you have chosen. This can then be saved to SD in the normal way.

Hope this helps.

Aud (U.K.)

#38673 - 08/19/06 10:34 PM Re: Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
It's my pleasure.

Don't give up though. I've had Technics keyboards for quite a few years now and the KN700 about 4 years. I still don't know everything it does, but as you are no doubt aware, great fun finding out these things and certainly keeps you interested.

Enjoy!

Audrey

#38674 - 08/20/06 03:11 PM Re: Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Hi SBPC. This is actually a simple procedure and after a few saves, it comes naturally. Load the style you want to save into composer memory, (default memory is A), then press program menu> composer> custom style copy. Select memory A, B, or C to copy to custom memory position 1 through 20, and when finished, exit. Remember, one load for each memory slot in custom memory. Now, press the SD card button> save> Technics format which gives you a page to select which folder you want to save your work into and which file to name. (I use 20 custom files to each of the files in the folder, but you won't need to pack it this full.)After naming your folder and files, go to page 2 (using the long button on the right) and select which parts of the styles to save. If you are only interested in transferring the styles or presets, switch panel memory and composer to yes (or all the others to no), and make sure the :all custom
style : on
the lower right is also on (yes), then press SAVE and it's transferred in only a few moments. You can save each part of the style if you want, but the parts you won't need will take up memory on the SD card. If you are going to transfer a lot of styles this way, it's a good idea to make a file in folder 99 with just one style saved and label it "Clean Sweep" so you can clear all the custom slots in one pass. Load it after you've saved the styles to SD and you will clear the custom styles with just one file in slot 1 which will be overwritten by the first save. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 08-20-2006).]

#38675 - 08/21/06 11:01 AM Re: Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
Bud Whipple Offline

I should also mention, if you plan on transferring a lot of styles from one source to another, you may want to take the following steps to ensure necessary information goes along with the styles. Information like the source, (Technics, Roland, Solton, etc.) and the tempo. Nothing worse than getting 250 styles all with a tempo of 120! It's a simple procedure and takes only a minute of your time. Since you will be in Composer mode anyway, choose Memory A and when the screen comes up, choose "Naming". Type in the name of the style, cha cha, etc., and press OK. Hit naming again, and this time press variation and type in the source keyboard, Yamaha or whatever, and press OK. Do this one more time to get to variation 2 and enter the tempo (T=120) and hit OK for the last time. This info will be saved to the Custom memory slot with the style and to access it, just press memory A when you load the style. There are other ways to transfer the tempo information with the style. but I find I can include a lot of info this way, especially the archive listing with the disk number and catagory: Disk A11/09 which is a listing for a country bluegrass style by Roland on disk 11, slot 9 and has a tempo of 155. I also can put a star rating (****) with this info to show how well I like the style. It saves me a ton of time in the long run, especially when I have to check a batch of style downloads for repeats, or when searching for a suitable style for recording. This information won't be for everyone, but if someone is building an archive of styles, it is very helpful, but only if you keep a log of entries on paper and in a printable database. Have fun.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 08-21-2006).]

#38676 - 08/22/06 07:21 AM Re: Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
SBPC Offline

Bud, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. On my next opportunity to spend some time at my friend's and on his KN7000 I'll give the style transfer another try.
Paul C.

#38677 - 08/22/06 01:18 PM Re: Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
Bud Whipple Offline

Glad to help.
SmileyCentral.com

#38678 - 08/23/06 02:20 PM Re: Custom Memory to SD Card Transfer
SBPC Offline

I finally accomplished what I set out to do. My problem seemed to be the fact that I had not successfully transferred the desired style from Custom Memory to Composer Memory. I used my friends manual to get over that hurdle and then things fell into place. Thanks to Frank Bez, Audrey and Bud for holding my hand through this exercise.
Paul C.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online