SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#50740 - 06/23/06 11:34 AM More Songs
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Another new KN7000 arrangement on page 9 of my site including the usual updates to the Compressed WMA section.

Hope you enjoy.

Larry Gosmeyer www.lgosmeyer.com

#50741 - 06/23/06 03:31 PM Re: More Songs
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
I am sooooo jealous. One man can have so such musical talent and I have so little.

Thanks Larry will enjoy many times at home and with my auto CD player.

Fran in SC

#50742 - 06/23/06 05:39 PM Re: More Songs
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Wow Says it all

Cousin Ken

#50743 - 06/24/06 10:39 AM Re: More Songs
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Larry!

What a magnificent version of "The Girl from Ipanema" on your site. As so many of you know, I am a true "Brazilophile", having lived as a youth in that incredibly exciting country, and having met the song's composer, Antonio Carlos Jobim, many years ago when he was a young man just starting out (my God, how young I was then, too!!). Anyway, thank you for sharing this lovely melody with us all. At the risk of boring you all, I am including below a brief commentary on the song that perhaps might interest some of you.

Thanks, Larry, for your always masterful playing; how I envy you your ability not only to play but also to interpret the feeling of the songs you play so well...

Ted Rose (of Jaybird "fame"?)

"The Girl from Ipanema" ("Garota de Ipanema") is considered the best-known bossa nova song ever written, and was a worldwide hit in the mid-1960s. It was written in 1962, with music by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Portuguese lyrics by Vinicius de Moraes with English lyrics written later by Norman Gimbel.

It is often claimed to be the second-most recorded popular song in history, topped only by The Beatles' "Yesterday". The first commercial recording was in 1962, by Pery Ribeiro. The version performed by Astrud Gilberto, along with João Gilberto and Stan Getz, from the 1963 album Getz/Gilberto, became an international hit. Numerous recordings have been used in movies, often as an elevator music cliché.

In 2004, it was one of 50 recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry.

Background
The song was inspired by Heloísa Eneida Menezes Paes Pinto (now Helô Pinheiro), an 18-year-old girl who lived on Montenegro street in the fashionable Ipanema district of Rio de Janeiro. Every day, she would stroll past the popular "Veloso" bar-cafe on the way to the beach, attracting the attention of regulars Jobim and Moraes.

The song was originally composed for a musical comedy entitled Dirigível (Blimp), which was a work in progress of Vinicius de Moraes. The original title was "Menina que Passa" ("The Girl Who Passes by"), and the famous first verse was completely different.

In Revelação: a verdadeira Garota de Ipanema (Revealed: The Real Girl from Ipanema) Moraes wrote that she was:

"o paradigma do bruto carioca; a moça dourada, misto de flor e sereia, cheia de luz e de graça mas cuja a visão é também triste, pois carrega consigo, a caminho do mar, o sentimento da que passa, da beleza que não é só nossa — é um dom da vida em seu lindo e melancólico fluir e refluir constante."
which roughly translates to:

'"the exemple of the raw Carioca: a golden-tanned girl, a mixture of flower and mermaid, full of brightness and grace, but with a touch of sadness, in that she carries with her, on her route to the sea, the feeling of that which passes by, of the beauty that is not ours alone — it is a gift of life in its constant, beautiful and sad ebb and flow." Today, "Montenegro Street" is called "Vinicius de Moraes Street", and the "Veloso Bar" is named "A Garota de Ipanema". There is also a "Garota de Ipanema" Park in the nearby Arpoador neighborhood.

#50744 - 06/24/06 02:33 PM Re: More Songs
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Thanks Ted, you have bought even more beauty to a beautiful song.

Fran in SC

#50745 - 06/27/06 05:45 AM Re: More Songs
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
WOW!

I always really liked this song but never knew it had such an illustrious background.

Thanks Ted and all for the response and comments.

Larry G

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online