SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65118 - 04/23/06 02:14 PM PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi,

I am to the point of going into tilt! I am trying to record a sound I did in SOUND MEMORY in Track 9. I have changed to this sound in PART SETTING. I recorded the track in REALTIME RECORD. In the mixer, it shows the sound I selected and it stays through 4 measures and then changes to an old sound that I had used 4 years ago. I CAN'T GET RID OF IT!!! What is controlling this for this to happen? I have tried correcting it in PANEL WRITE. I even thought it was happening with the CONTROL TRACK. I erased it and that didn't help. I have erased Track 9 three times and rerecorded it in REALTIME RECORD. One would think that if you recorded in a cleared track and the sound that you want is showing when the recording starts, it would stay the same sound. I know I am forgetting to do something that is simple but I can't come up with it. HELP!!!

#65119 - 04/23/06 04:18 PM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Are any Panel memories changing during recording ?? The sound setups you see in the sequencer Mixer screen will change if Panel Memories content changes. Try storing your set-up to a Panel Memory and select that Panel Memory. Then do a 'Panel Write' before starting your recording.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#65120 - 04/24/06 05:51 AM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
nsr007 Offline

Hi Willum,

Yes, a Panel Memory does change after the four measures to another Panel Memory. This is when this happens. I don't want to change the Panel Memory settings if I can help it. What does a Panel Memory have to do with an individual track such as Track 9? (Part 5) I thought all these tracks were independent of anything done in Easy Record, especially if you go in to Part Select and make your sound change.

S

#65121 - 04/24/06 01:34 PM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
Bill Norrie Offline

If your Panel Memory is changing after the initial 'correct' four bars then this is what is causing your problem. All the sounds which your see in the Sequencer Mixer, are affected by the content of the Panel Memories. As your Panel Memories change, they will select whatever sounds have been stored in the particular Panel Memory, for other tracks. So, you need to change the sound assignments for the additional tracks you wish to use in the sequence.
You won't lose your currently set voices in Panel Memory, to achieve the result you desire.

There is more than one way to achive this - the method I use is as follows :

Select your first Panel Memory (eg PM1) and then in the sequencer Mixer, press the top left button at the side of the display to highlight the 'SOUND' section. Press the track number button at the bottom of the display, for the track you wish to assign a particular sound - the 'SOUND' highlight will move to the selected track. Use the 'Sound' buttons to select the desired sound and then press 'SET' and the Panel Memory button you chose at the the start of this procedure (eg PM1). This has the effect of storing the selected sound in the new track, along with your original Panel Memory settings.
Just repeat this process, for each Panel Memory used in your sequence or performance set-up. When you have made all the changes you can then play through your sequence or performance and the Panel Memory changes will select the correct sounds for your additional tracks.

If you intend adding more than 1 track to your original 'Easy Record' sequence, then just assign new sounds to all the required tracks, before Re-storing to Panel Memory.

You can achieve the same result by using the 'Part Setting' facility but having assigned a new voice to a particular part, you must then Re-store each change in the appropriate Panel Memory

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#65122 - 04/24/06 07:39 PM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
nsr007 Offline

Hi Willum,

IT WORKED!!! YOU ARE THE MAN OF THE HOUR!!! Thanks, very much. I still don't understand why setting the Panel Memories is required. As I said, I can understand their playing a necessary part pertaining to Easy Record but the other tracks I thought were totally independent and all that was needed was to set them in Part Setting.

Is there a way to change the volume in Mixer and keep it on these Part tracks, other than having to go into Part Setting to make the final volume change? I tried doing Panel Write and it won't work. I'm speaking in this case, Track 9 and 10.

S

#65123 - 04/24/06 09:33 PM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Each Panel Memory (PM) will store the sound that is set for the tracks. Let's say PM #1 is set with Track 16 having a Flute. Let's say PM #2 Track 16 Sound was never set. When PM #2 is used, Track 16 will then switch and play the default piano sound. If PM #1 is pressed again, then Track 16 will revert back to the flute.

There's Hope!

Check your PM Expand Mode Filters (Page 2) and see if you have the filter Part 1-16. The PR804 has this filter. The assigned sounds for the tracks will not change during PM changes when this filter is turned OFF. But ONLY from Tracks 4-16. I don't know if your model has that filter. But worth a look see. Turning this filter Off may affect other Part 1-16 related settings and may not be limited to just the assigned sound.

Technics Player:
Are you out there? Are you familiar with the PM filter Part 1-16? If so, why doesn't it lock the assigned sounds for R1/R2/Left? It does start with 1?

No mater what I do, R1/R2 and Left will always change the assigned sounds during PM changes when Part 1-16 filter is set to OFF. Even when the Sequencer Presets are changed to GM Multi Recording and Technics Multi Recording.

Thanks,

AnthonyC

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 04-24-2006).]

#65124 - 04/25/06 03:09 AM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Norman, Glad we are getting somewhere
You asked :
"Is there a way to change the volume in Mixer and keep it on these Part tracks, other than having to go into Part Setting to make the final volume change? I tried doing Panel Write and it won't work. I'm speaking in this case, Track 9 and 10."

The answer is Yes! Again, there is more than one way to achieve this.....

Once you have set up the 'SOUNDS' in the Sequencer Mixer or 'Part Setting' and saved them to Panel Memory, you can adjust the Volume levels for Tracks 9 and 10 to an initial value - say around 100.
Select the first Panel Memory and then in the Sequencer Mixer, press the second from bottom button to the Left of the display, to highlight the Volume slider section. Then select Track 9 and adjust the volume level as required. If you are also using Track 10 in this same Panel Memory, then select Track 10 and adjust it's volume as well. Save this setting to the first Panel Memory. Just repeat this process for the remaining Panel Memory set-ups.
You can also adjust and retain the 'PAN' settings during this process.
As before, you can achieve the same results by using the 'Part Setting' facility.

The important thing to remember is that after you make any changes to the settings, you must Re-save them to the appropriate Panel Memory.

Having recorded Tracks 9 and 10 and set the initial Volume values for these Tracks, you can play back the sequence and whilst listening to the sequence and viewing the Sequencer Mixer screen, you can change the Volume and/or Pan levels for the individual tracks, 'on-the-fly', to obtain the desired balance. If you change the Volume level, make sure you Re-save to the currently selected Panel Memory, whilst the sequence is playing back. If you find this a little 'tricky', after adjusting the track Volume(s) and/or Pan to the desired level, stop the sequence, Re-save to the currently selected Panel Memory and then re-start the sequence from the point at which you stopped.
You can also make the Volume and/or Pan changes 'on-the-fly' by using the 'Part Setting' facility. Again, you can stop the sequence to 'Re-save' and then re-start.

With regard to your other point : "....but the other tracks I thought were totally independent and all that was needed was to set them in Part Setting." I think AnthonyC answers that very well

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 04-25-2006).]

Aldous Huxley

#65125 - 04/25/06 05:58 AM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
nsr007 Offline

Thanks, Willum and thank you, AnthonyC. You both have been very helpful. I checked Page 2 of Expand Mode Filter and see many Filter listings, including Part 1-16 setting. I switched it to OFF because it was ON. If I understand you correctly, this means that I don't have to save the Part Setting in a Panel Memory each time there is a sound change in a track - right?

Thanks,

Scott

#65126 - 04/25/06 06:15 AM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
nsr007 Offline

Hi Willum and AnthonyC,

It's me, again. Willum, rereading your response to volume settings, I was unaware that one could make changes in a Panel Memory while in play. Also, if my checking Part 1-16 Setting to OFF, would this have any effect on not having to save a new volume setting in the current Panel Memory being used? Perhaps it would stay where you set it and then you could go to PANEL WRITE and save the setting.

Scott

#65127 - 04/25/06 05:13 PM Re: PROBLEM KEEPING SOUND SELECTED IN TRACK
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I'm not sure what other settings maybe affected when Part 1-16 is off, but for sure the sounds won't change. Something to experiment with.

However...

For some reason, the assigned sounds R1/R2/Left will change when Part 1-16 is turned off when panel memory is used. I don't know why, and was hoping Technics Player would be kind enough to shed some light.

Experiment:
Make sure Part 1-16 filter is off.
In the Mixer Screen, set R1 with Flute, and set the last track (16) also with Flute, and save this on PM1. While still viewing the Mixer screen, press PM2. Track 16 should still have the Flute (expected). But R1 will change (not expected). Don't understand that.

You can reverse this to check out what Part 1-16 does when turned on. In which case, PM1 track 16 will have Flute, after pressing PM2 track 16 will show a different sound, default Piano maybe.

One thing to keep in mind when Part 1-16 is off. Make sure you start out with the desired sound. Ex: If you started out on PM2 setting with track 16 having a piano, with Part 1-16 off, it will keep the piano. So make sure of your starting point.

AnthonyC

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 04-25-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online