SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#63795 - 06/23/05 02:47 PM recording guitar into computer
Carolyn Offline

Loc: Theodore, Al, USA
I would like to record an electric guitar to the computer, using the microphone imput on the 7000. Can this be done? Would I connect the guitar directly into the microphone plug on the keyboard, or would I plug the guitar amp into the microphone imput? Thanks, Carolyn

#63796 - 06/23/05 05:25 PM Re: recording guitar into computer
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Carolyn,
You should get a reasonable result by plugging the guitar lead into the KN7000 mic socket. I would suggest that you set the guitar volume controls at a low level initially and then increase them gradually, to avoid possible overloading. Adjust the KN7000 mic volume as necessary to achive a suitable level. You can also apply digital effects such as echo, reverb, phasing etc. to the mic channel.
It would not be a good idea to connect the output of an amplifier directly to the KN7000 mic input. The amplifier output level would probably cause severe overloading of the mic input and could possibly cause damage.......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#63797 - 06/23/05 06:58 PM Re: recording guitar into computer
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Although you will be able to get the guitar signal in via the mic input it is not going to give you a great sound because a guitar puts out a high impedance signal and the mic input is low impedance. The result is a very tinny and weak guitar sound.

You would get a much better electric guitar sound by using a mic plugged into the KN7000 and putting the mic in front of your guitar amplifier. That way you will record the sound of your amp which will sound much better than recording the guitar straight in. You would need some sort of device such as a Line 6 POD to record direct, so using a mic in front of your amp is probably your best choice. You just need to experiment with your levels to make sure you don't overload the mic or the mic input. You don't even need to run the amp all that loud either, just putting the mic close to the speaker will make it sound really big. Just running through an amp and speaker adds a lot of natural body to the sound.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 06-23-2005).]

#63798 - 06/24/05 02:56 AM Re: recording guitar into computer
technicsplayer Offline

the mic input will give a very poor sound with most pickups, use the guitar amp into the line input for a clean sound or mic the guitar amp as Nigel suggests.

#63799 - 06/24/05 05:11 AM Re: recording guitar into computer
Bill Norrie Offline

I cannot totally agree with the above comments.
In the past, I have used my 'Les Paul' solid electric guitar through a Technics Keyboard (KN6000) and found that using the Line Input did not produce sufficient level. I transferred the connection to the mic input and it gave perfectly satisfactory results - albeit with the cautions mentioned above, about initially keeping the guitar volume controls low.
I have just tried connecting my guitar to the mic input on my KN7000 and it works equally well and is certainly not 'tinny' or 'weak'. The set-up produces a good rounded undistorted sound with plenty of body. The KN7000 MIC slider was set about 1/4 way up and the guitar volume controls to around position 6 of 10.
Using the Line Input on the KN7000 did not produce sufficient volume level with my particular guitar, which I believe has fairly standard pick-ups.
I guess it's a case of 'suck-it-and see'

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#63800 - 06/24/05 08:40 AM Re: recording guitar into computer
technicsplayer Offline

you don't connect the pickup to line in, use line out or mixer/effects feed on the amp for usb recording at maximum quality.

#63801 - 06/24/05 03:43 PM Re: recording guitar into computer
Bill Norrie Offline

I understand what you are saying Alec, but not all guitar amps have the Line-out/ effects-send facility I have two guitar amps - not too ancient - and neither has this facility.
Why use an extra bit of kit, when it is just possible that perfectly adequate results may be obtained by using the mic input?
As I said before - give it a try

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#63802 - 06/24/05 04:25 PM Re: recording guitar into computer
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carolyn:
I have had good results putting the guitar
into a preamp,preamp into line in, line out into Pc.
Joe.

#63803 - 06/24/05 05:54 PM Re: recording guitar into computer
Carolyn Offline

Loc: Theodore, Al, USA
Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge. I will give it a try. My son plays the guitar, and I love listening to him play. I would love to have some of his songs on a CD. I have played piano and organ for churches for over 50 years, & I am now having fun learning to play the 7000. I learned much from reading the advice from many knowledgeable people. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Carolyn, from Mobile, Alabama.

#63804 - 06/25/05 05:13 AM Re: recording guitar into computer
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I understand what you are saying Alec, but not all guitar amps have the Line-out/ effects-send facility I have two guitar amps - not too ancient - and neither has this facility.
Why use an extra bit of kit, when it is just possible that perfectly adequate results may be obtained by using the mic input?
As I said before - give it a try

I have, and a line feed is superior.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online