SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#56476 - 06/03/05 03:30 AM reverse cymbal
ashboe Offline

Loc: Lancashire, UK
Can anyone recommend a good voice to use for a reverse cymbal lasting 3 secs with a cresc (am seq so can do the cresc manually) if poss?
thanks

sean

#56477 - 06/03/05 12:58 PM Re: reverse cymbal
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
There is a reverse cymbal in the Electric Drum Kit - SOUND EXPLORER > DRUM KITS > ELECTRIC KIT - the reverse cymbal is on note E2. It's much shorter than 3 seconds and I doubt if you can do much about it - even by editing the sample in the drum editing facility. I expect the sample is only of short duration, I don't think you will be able to stretch the sound to 3 seconds.
One way to achieve a longer sound is to use the Sequencer or Composer to record a series of 'E2' key presses, making the velocity of the key gradually greater, to provide the crescendo..........
The problem with the in-built sound is that the sound ends with a bit of a 'Click' so this may not be really suitable.
I have produced a 'normal' cymbal crescendo on several occasions, using both the Composer and Sequencer method.
You may be able to do something in the Sound Editor, if you can find a suitable 'Base' sample to start with - maybe white noise and some filtering and envelope shaping?? White noise is in group M of the samples.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56478 - 06/03/05 03:56 PM Re: reverse cymbal
technicsplayer Offline

there's a much more suitable reverse cymbal in the percussion group, since you can exchange pitch for time.

#56479 - 06/04/05 02:43 AM Re: reverse cymbal
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks Alec! I missed that one on Page 3
If key C1 is used for the sound, it lasts for just about 3 seconds. If the R1/R2 Octave switch is set down one octave, then pressing the C1 key (effectively C0)extends the time to about 4 seconds. Setting R1/R2 down 2 octaves (effectively C-1)extends the time to around 5 seconds. However, using these lower octaves makes the reverse cymbal sounds more like a reverse Gong!

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online