SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59510 - 01/07/05 08:24 AM I Have not heard this one before
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks.I have been told by a friend,Who's
friend,has been in contact with Technics.
He assures me that a floppy drive is available to plug into the rear of the KN2600.I have asked my friend, to contact his friend, and ask serious questions.
I don't think it is possible!,but who knows.
Has any one heard of this possible advantage?.I would love it to be true.
Sincerely.
Joe

#59511 - 01/07/05 11:25 AM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
The external floppy disk drive would probably have to be connected to the USB port located at the back of a KN2600 or KN7000. Pending further verification, if such a connection is feasible then a USB drive (which is similar to an SD card in terms of storage capacity and speed) is not only possible but also far more superior.

Khai

#59512 - 01/07/05 03:47 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hello Khai,
I must take issue with you, with regard to your comments above
Since the Technics keyboards appear to a computer like an External disc drive, it would not be possible to connect any other kind of disc drive to the USB port. It would be like connecting one disc drive directly to another and expecting them to be able to transfer data between themselves.

Whilst external USB Floppy disc drives do exist, I cannot understand how you can compare the performance and capacity of such a device, with that of an SD card!

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59513 - 01/07/05 08:41 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Today I bought a USB 2.0 floppy Disk Drive from Comp USA for 39.95 USD. I bought it for the new Toshiba Laptop with the 17 inch screen that does not have a floppy but only has a multi drive.
I don't think I will hook it up to the KN26 or 7000 based on what ORB, (Bill Norrie) sez here. However, I can experiment with it. I have a scsi CD hooked up to the PSR 9000 and it works great in conjunction with the hard drive that is also in it.
Bebop

#59514 - 01/07/05 09:48 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hello Khai,
I must take issue with you, with regard to your comments above
Since the Technics keyboards appear to a computer like an External disc drive, it would not be possible to connect any other kind of disc drive to the USB port. It would be like connecting one disc drive directly to another and expecting them to be able to transfer data between themselves.

Whilst external USB Floppy disc drives do exist, I cannot understand how you can compare the performance and capacity of such a device, with that of an SD card!

Hi Bill Willum,

I would like to apologize to you for the misunderstanding. I used the term USB drives to mean only those that rely on digital storage without moving parts, as opposed to disk drives (such as the floppy disk drives and hard disk drives).

Our Technics keyboards will be something far inferior and functionally restricted if they merely "appear to a computer like an External disc drive". Let's hope that we don't underestimate or think of our intelligent keyboard as a mere receptacle of data, or an underdog or slave, even for something as complicated as a system exclusive dump. The business is more than just data transfer and storage. How a USB device appears to a computer is up to the device, the device driver(s) and other supporting software(s). A USB device may also be a USB drive but not vice versa. Connect your KN7000 or KN2600 to your computer via USB 2.0 and discover for yourself gradually the many-splendoured things that spark between the keyboard and computer. . . . . It is a love affair more vividly told, unfurled and sped up many times.

Kind Regards,
KHAI

#59515 - 01/08/05 04:42 AM Re: I Have not heard this one before
technicsplayer Offline

it makes no difference whether disk drive or digital flash storage, the kn7000/2600 are usb slave devices, so connecting any other slave device will not work. They are also usb1.1 devices so usb2 will make no difference to performance.

#59516 - 01/08/05 08:09 PM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Dear TechnicsPlayer,

If you have little faith or experience in the untapped capabilities of what your technics keyboard(s) can do when they are interfaced with a computer, then please doublecheck your Technics operating instructions. Under the section about Computer Connection using the USB terminal of KN7000, KN2600 and KN2400, you can connect to the computer via USB in the following modes:

NORMAL
PC as master
KN as master
KN as slave
INTERFACE

May I rest the case, and repeat "Connect your KN7000 or KN2600 to your computer via USB 2.0 and discover for yourself gradually the many-splendoured things that spark between the keyboard and computer. . . . . It is a love affair more vividly told, unfurled and sped up many times".

Khai

#59517 - 01/09/05 04:37 AM Re: I Have not heard this one before
technicsplayer Offline

Dear Khai, I have no need to read the operating instructions.

The functions you refer to are midi transfer functions requiring the relevant software and drivers on a pc. They have nothing to do with direct interfacing of flash memory (or floppy disk drive) usb devices plugged directly into the KN7000/2600. The KN7000/2600 does not have any host capability to enable communication with such slave devices.

I repeat that this will not work and you are merely giving people totally unfounded false hopes if trying to imply that it will.

Thus I rest the case.

#59518 - 01/09/05 05:26 AM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Dear TechnicsPlayer,

Let's be clear. I never claim that the "fire of love" can spark between a largely passive storage device (such as flash memory, hard disk drive or floppy disk drive) and a KN7000 or KN2600, and so we agree with each other more or less, minus your misinterpretation(s). Rather, the "fire" is between the keyboard and the computer, supported by established protocols and software tools. Let me repeat what I wrote:
Quote:
.... technics keyboard(s) can do when they are interfaced with a computer ....
And earlier still:
Quote:
"How a USB device appears to a computer is up to the device, the device driver(s) and other supporting software(s).
The second quote is also a general and inductive statement that is relevant to other situations not involving musical instrument(s). Whether or not MIDI is involved in just one of the possibilities, and MIDI is only one of the possible protocols. Hence, we can both have the last words, and I would be humble to learn and cross-reference with original sources and instruction manuals, and do extra testing and hunt for tools to make the fire spark hot and bright between my musical instruments and computer.

#59519 - 01/09/05 05:32 AM Re: I Have not heard this one before
Khai Offline

Hi!

In the last paragraph of my previous posting, there is a minor typo on my part: the word "in" should be "is" in the phrase "Whether or not MIDI is involved in just one of the possibilities, ...."

Khai

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online