SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#45220 - 10/01/04 10:07 PM Is growing older effecting your joy of music
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Since I my early twenties my music been in demand. A glorious time playing in the best of places, and loving it. Now my audience is getting smaller, the new wave of music is in demand. My phone does not ring very often.
Sooooo ---
I will be playing with a dear freind of mine, he plays Sax, clarinet, flute, and sings a real good tune. We have decided to hold dearly to our love of music.
We will continue to play our instruments wherever and whenever we get calls. And the best part is that money will no longer be a major factor, just music, the love of music.
That means we will play what we like, and where and when we like.
Does that sound a little bit od an attitude? No, it's not meant to be, it's just saying I'm free to enjoy playing music, there is no reason to let up one bit.

God is good, life is good, John C.

#45221 - 10/02/04 02:17 AM Re: Is growing older effecting your joy of music
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello John,

Good morning from the UK.

Yes John, as you say, God is good, life is good. You pose the question, "Is growing older affecting your joy of music." My answer is an emphatic "Yes!". As I grow older, and I'll soon be 75, my love and appreciation of music grows. Music is more important to me now than it ever was. As Frank Bez said in his post regarding favorites, great melodies are the key and the greatest melodies (in my opinion) were written by composers in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s.

I was blessed with a God-given talent for music. As a youngster growing up in Southern California, I played the trombone and a barely acceptable country guitar. Though I played in brass trios, quartets, concert bands, marching bands, and a junior symphony orchestra, I never fully appreciated music until I grew much older - probably in my 50s. It was then, while playing rhythm guitar in a three-piece combo while working in Saudi Arabia, that I began to "listen and hear" the music. I mean - really LISTEN and really HEAR. Listen and hear the melody and how the harmony is interwoven with the melody by the composer. A melody on its own is pretty, but without the harmony, it is very lonesome. The fullness and beauty of a song is in the marriage of a melody and its companion harmony. It is for that reason that I love the music of Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Henry Mancini, John Williams, Rogers and Hart, the Gershwins, Juan Carlos Jobim, and so many other wonderful composers. No one in today's pop music world writes great music.

So yes, John, growing older has affected my "joy of music". It has had a positive effect by giving me a deeper love and appreciation for the music of yesteryear. And I will always be grateful to the Technics people for giving me an instrument (KN7000) that is capable of producing those great melodies and harmonies.

My Very Best Wishes to You and All of Our Forum Friends,

Chuck

#45222 - 10/02/04 02:23 AM Re: Is growing older effecting your joy of music
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
It's strange that when we get older we loves music more and more.
I think that we prepare us unconscious for the big trip that we soon or later have to make to heaven, it seems to be that there is always heavenly music.

Jack

#45223 - 10/02/04 03:32 AM Re: Is growing older effecting your joy of music
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have always loved music.I sang and played trombone through school,and started learing organ in the sixties. I found I loved to perform,and started playing my B3 with a drummer,played solo restaurant gigs in the seventies. However,since I had a family to support,I had to maintain a day job(insurance agent).

Now that I am retired, I can spend virtually all my time on my keyboard and love it.I play in several groups.and play at my church every Sunday. I don't make much money,but am having more fun than ever.

Bernie

#45224 - 10/02/04 04:24 AM Re: Is growing older effecting your joy of music
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jack Docters:
[B]It's strange that when we get older we loves music more and more.
Jack, Chuck and Bernie, all the words in my post tried to say just that. I am enjoying music more than ever.

My classical is hanging on the wall to left of my beauitful KN7000. My Mandolin hangs on the right side. My jazz guitar is hanging on the bedroom wall. A year ago they were in their casses in a closet. I'll be taken my little pocket trumpet out sonn, that's a tough one.

When all you have is lemons, you make lemonade. In this case the lemonade is so very sweet.

In each phase of our lives, God has given us something to love and enjoy.
John C.

#45225 - 10/02/04 09:21 AM Re: Is growing older effecting your joy of music
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
John C., I don’t read any type of “attitude” into your comments at all.
A while back someone on the General Arranger Forum wrote these words:
“I play the music I like for people who like my music.” That comment keeps resonating in my mind. It’s the ideal we all strive for – playing the music we like to play for folks who enjoy that same type of music. No question that the groups I play for are in the gray-haired category. But so am I. And playing for them keeps me pretty close to that ideal situation described in that quote above.
Paul C.

#45226 - 10/02/04 09:24 AM Re: Is growing older effecting your joy of music
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
YOu people that have posted here are really poets. I here poetry and music in your every word. It makes me happy to read what you have written.
My love/hate of music started at age 5 with hours of practice on the piano every day of classical music for 7 years and I hated it. At age 12 I discovered Honkytonk, Swing, Jazz and life changed. I took up the trumpet and from that day to this I have enjoyed every minute of music and every instrument I have learned to play which are many. Today music and musicians, and/or players are my life. I am thankful. Yes God is Good.
Best to all
Bebop

#45227 - 10/02/04 09:57 AM Re: Is growing older effecting your joy of music
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
YES GOD IS GOOD,MUSIC IS GOOD FOR WHAT AILS ME iT KEEPS MY SOUL HEALTHY,MUSIC IS A JOY,SO KEEP ON PLAYING FRIENDS,THAT MAKES THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE, BEST REGARDS ,BENNO

#45228 - 10/03/04 03:45 PM Re: Is growing older effecting your joy of music
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
AMEN !!! to all that's been said.
Walt

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online