SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#59393 - 09/21/04 02:13 PM Composer & Pad recording
Lindoz Offline

Loc: Torshalla, Sweden
Hi All

Earlier here on this site, Jack Docters had some thoughts of how he could record a sound of thunder and rain in a intro and in a ending.

I then replay that it was a piece of a cake and give some advice. I mean no harm with such comment and I forgot that we are many different people on this site, so I promise Jack Docters some instructions of what way he can do this. Maybe some of you also have use in this.

There are three ways to manage this. 1. Recording in the sequencer on a track. 2. Recording in the Composer memory. 3. Recording in the Performance Pads

To recording in the sequencer itīs the best choice in my opinion. However thereīs a lot of tutors in this and you can read about it in the enclosed book purty easy.

So letīs go to the 2:nd point... After you start your song/style, press the MEMORY button just to the left of the display. Look after what memory the KN are chosen. A,B or C. Then take a look on the VARIATION buttons, which one of 1-4 is lightning up.

Suppose it was the Composer A-memory and VARIATION 3. We then of course have the INTRO and ENDING also in A-memory.

Now press STOP-button and press PROGRAM MENUS. Press COMPOSER and then choose the supposed memory A. Now you can see all the patterns on the display. Move the RED BOX to the INTRO2 (major or minor depens of the chord you use for the intro). Press OK then press the AC5 (cause this memory are seldom used). The rythm will now start (if you donīt need the annoying metronome sound, you have to go to the mixer and decrease it.) DON`T TOUCH ANY KEY NOW, because you are in the record mode. Press STOP-button and then press STEP RECORD. The bars/measures will appear right in front of you on the display. If there is any asteriscs somewhere, the memory is not empty. In that case, press EXIT and try for ex. AC4. You can easily change between EXIT and STEP RECORD.

Back to the STEP RECORD now where you have the bars/measures right in front of you. Press SOUNDEXPLORER-button and go down to the SOUNDEFFECT, note there are 5 pages! Find and press the THUNDER and then EXIT back to the STEP RECORD MENU. Remember you now have the "thunder" on every key. Use a low one for natural thunder sound. Use the cursor and move it to a place where you like to have your sound. Adjust the NOTELENGTH for ex. to 0x4 for a long sound. Now press a key and the sound is recorded. If you need more "thunder", move the cursor to another place and press a key again. For recording "Rain" sound, you begin from start and you need an empty AC. Unfortunately you canīt have 2 sounds in the same AC memory.

Press the START-button and listen to your recording. Use the SOLO-function if you like to hear one AC at the time. If satisfied, then go out by EXIT. Donīt forget to save the COMPOSER together with your song.

Now letīs try point 3. Recording in PERFORMANCE PADS. This feature is a favourite of mine and very useful in all songs no matter if they are midis or style songs.

Press PROGRAM MENUS and then PERFORMANCE PADS. The display will show A,B and C Record Banks where you have 6 memory each, i.e. 18 memories, and the best of all, you can record 2 sounds in every memory!

Press BANK CLEAR (remember that the initial sounds donīt go away. If you load a new song,the original Pads are in order again). It could also be useful to name your Pad here fore future use. Now press START RECORDING PART 1. The sequencer now starts but donīt worry, it will stop after 4 bars/measures. Press STEP RECORD, you have the four bars/measures on the display. Press SOUNDEXPLORER, go down to SOUNDEFFECT and then find THUNDER and press it. Press EXIT. You now have the Thunder sound in the keys. Use the cursor and move to the place where you like to have the sound, adjust the NOTELENGTH for longer sounds and then press a KEY. Press EXIT, Press PART2 and go to SOUNDEXPLORER then SOUNDEFFECT and find the "Rain" sound. Press it and EXIT and put the sound wherever you like with a key/keys. Press START-button and listen. Sounds very short? Press EXIT and then PLAY SETTING, LOOP ON. EXIT out...

You now have Thunder and Rain on PERFORMANCE PAD1. Record a new variation of this on PAD2 or even better on PAD5 or PAD6 where you have 4x4 bars/measures. Donīt forget to save PADS PERFORMANCE together with your song.

Hope this will be a little help for Jack and others.

Regards from the icecubemaker

Lindoz

[This message has been edited by Lindoz (edited 09-21-2004).]

#59394 - 09/21/04 02:37 PM Re: Composer & Pad recording
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Good job, Lindoz. Personally, I use step 2: the composer, to do a lot of work especially during conversions. The composer is a true workhorse, working with notes, sounds, or adding your own touch to an existing style. The more you use the composer, the more you will find it can accomplish, and the easier it gets. Best of all, if you make a mistake, or just want to experiment, you can always reload and start over.

#59395 - 09/22/04 01:57 AM Re: Composer & Pad recording
Lindoz Offline

Loc: Torshalla, Sweden
Hi Bud
Good to hear from you. I knew I own you a mail, but donīt know if you had finnish the removal to Leesburg. Seems that you anyway find a place for your computer .

Hope you all have been spared from hurricanes. I will send you a mail within a couple of days.

Regards Lindoz

#59396 - 09/22/04 05:33 AM Re: Composer & Pad recording
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
Lindoz,
Thanks for your extensive explanation.
I printed out and put them to the others that I have printed on this teachable site and add them to the briefly manual of the KN 7000.
Its stagger how many members of SZ are experts of the Technics keyboards.

Jack

#59397 - 09/22/04 05:34 AM Re: Composer & Pad recording
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
Lindoz,
Thanks for your extensive explanation.
I printed out and put them to the others that I have printed on this teachable site and add them to the briefly manual of the KN 7000.
Its stagger how many members of SZ are experts of the Technics keyboards.

Jack

#59398 - 09/22/04 09:54 AM Re: Composer & Pad recording
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Lindoz,

Thank you for your tutorial. It is printed and filed in my notebook. I appreciate you sharing your expertise with us. Take care.

Best Wishes,

Chuck

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online