SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43974 - 09/03/04 11:45 AM Rhythms or Pattens
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
For those of you who like to sequence your songs I thought I would pass along a tip as to how I use the Rhythm Patterns to save me a lot of extra track recording.

Before I start sequencing a song, I review my inventory of Styles that I feel would fit the song that I am going to sequence.

I then fill up Memory A, B, and C with what I feel is the best selection of Styles for the song (this gives a total of 12 individual selections – 3 Memory Banks x 4 variations each). In many cases I will only use 1 or 2 variations from each Style selected in order to give me a better overall a varied selection of Memory Rhythms.

Of course, I also use the applicable standard Rhythms available on the keyboard.

I like to have all my potential Rhythms ready to use and installed in the Memory Banks before I start the actual job of sequencing the song.

Using the Panel Memory buttons, I change rhythms frequently during the song in order to get a better fit on the background sounds, which can save me the need to record extra passages via track recording. I might sometimes change rhythms/variations every bar or so to accomplish this. In most cases I will change the rhythm selection when I change the lead instrument. Sometimes I will add in a Fill-In routine if it fits the arrangement. I have even at times used a Fill-In during the last measure of the song for a certain effect.

I might even change Rhythm selection twice in a two-bar passage in order to get the use of two different back to back Fill-Ins for my desired effect.

Just thought I would pass along this info for whatever use you might find for it.

Happy Sequencing!

Larry Gosmeyer

[This message has been edited by larry gosmeyer (edited 09-03-2004).]

#43975 - 09/03/04 02:17 PM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Larry,

I have been using a mix of on board styles and one composer. Never thought about B and C. Great idea.

Fran in Florida

#43976 - 09/03/04 02:58 PM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
Merrill Ainsworth Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by larry gosmeyer:
[B]For those of you who like to sequence your songs I thought I would pass along a tip...

Thanks for the tips, Larry.

Hopefully, a few more like these will help me make music like Larry Gosmeyer.

Merrill Ainsworth@cox.net

#43977 - 09/03/04 04:07 PM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
Anonymous
Unregistered

Merrill,

I wish I had your optimism to perform like Larry.

There is no way in heaven or h___ I could ever match him, but I really enjoy his out standing productions and skill in playing.

It is he and many others on the Synth Zone that inspires a clunker like me to do better.

Thanks Larry for many moments of great listening.

Fran in Florida

#43978 - 09/03/04 05:07 PM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Thank you, Larry. As usual, great advice. And, it explains a little of why your work is so special. We can all learn from your fantastic talents.

#43979 - 09/03/04 05:10 PM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Larry,
It’s quite reassuring to know that your approach to preparing to sequence is similar to mine. Selecting a variety of styles, changing the instrumentation as needed and muting or clearing and recording a new part all make the recording process successful. I find this part of the process achievable. What is more elusive is the skill which you employ to play each instrument as it would be played by a real player, understanding both the range of the instrument and the limitations it has. Each song that you post is not only great entertainment but a short course on how to use our instruments to the highest level.
Thank you,
Frank

#43980 - 09/03/04 07:38 PM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Larry you are the gretest. I have learned much from you. Problem is that since 98% of all post now are for KN 7000 owners, we 6000 and 6500 owners, are left behind and soon forgotten. I continue to play your 20 for 1 disks over and over, and marvel at your sequencing skills. Regards------ARJ

#43981 - 09/04/04 07:41 AM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Larry G.

This is awsome. To recieve tips from the "Master" is a real honor.

I would like to know, after you have everything set up, and ready for sequencing, do you record using "Easy Record"?

And after you are finished recording, how much editing do you do? Do you edit in real time record via the control track? Do you change panel memories while easy recording, or do make the changes later in the Control track.

So many questions. Sorry. Thanks for the tips. It is appreciated

Larry H.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#43982 - 09/05/04 06:39 AM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Larry H.

Thanks.

After getting completely set up to record I then:

Record each part via the sequencer in real time (I do not use the Easy Record method).

I usually record about 8 to 16 bars each time for each part. An 8 bar passage will usually take 2 to 5 parts to be recorded. After completing the passage, I will then advance to the next Panel Memory to set the applicable parts, and probably also change the Rhythm setting to match the next passage.

Sometimes there is some editing necessary to do. If possible I do this in real time using the Sequencer, by setting the sequencer to the specific bars or measures that I need to edit. Sometimes I can do the edit by merely changing the specifics of a note or two by using Step Record method.

After the song recording is done, I will usually do a complete review of the song and finish up with any further editing, changing, re-recording, etc., that I feel will improve the arrangement.

The editing is made easier by keeping complete documentation of all recordings, settings, etc., as I progress through the various recording passages.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks again.

Larry G

#43983 - 09/06/04 09:46 AM Re: Rhythms or Pattens
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I have only used Real Time Record when editing a completed Easy Record song. Your method of Real Time Recording the complete sequence from beginning to end is interesting.

Do you do this all at one "sitting" ? When Real Time Recording, do you record these 8-16 bars, then hit the "stop recording" button, and come back later, to record another 8-16 bars? Can you turn off the keyboard and pick up where you left off, or do you save the first 8-16 bars and add on later?

I 'll have to try Real Time Recording, but maybe I should re-read your instructions on your fine web site first.

I know one thing, your completed sequences are awsome, and I know it takes a lot of effort to complete. While listening to your songs, I know it's a labor of love.

Thanks Much,
Larry H.

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 09-06-2004).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online