SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57271 - 02/26/04 04:11 AM Old Sheet Misic
Pete Dale Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Back in the 60s when a youth and first started to play the piano I had lots of sheet music e.g.The Seekers Song Book, Russ Conway’s music “I like it” Gerry & The Pacemakers,” Go Now” Moody Blues,” Bad To Me” Billy J Kramer,” Rhythm Of The Rain” Cascades and “Johnny Remember Me” John Leighton to name just a few now and again I will hear some this music played on the radio and it certainly stirs the soul does anyone know if/where I could obtain copies of some of this music I have looked on the Internet
Regards

#57272 - 02/26/04 05:15 AM Re: Old Sheet Misic
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi Pete,

I still have a lot of sheet music going back as far as the 30s. It belonged to my dad. I have things like the Dave Clark 5 Glad All Over, Roger Miller's King Of the Road, The Beatle's Day Tripper just to name some from the 60s. I believe I even have the Original Version of Unchained Melody from the 40's.

I've wanted to try to sell some of it but I don't know anyone who's interested in buying it or what it may be worth if anything.

There may be someplace where you can still by the individual songs but for the most part you have to by the songs in book collections.

For Example, I did a google search on "Sheet Music". Selected one that said it had thousands of them then searched on "I Like It". It rerurned 85 books that have that song in it.

While I don't actually use sheet music to play I do find sadly, that the book versions are seldom as complete as the single page music but you can find much of the music still available if you look around in the books.

Good Luck with you search,
Heather

#57273 - 02/26/04 06:45 AM Re: Old Sheet Misic
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Pete,
Try www.sheetmusicwarehouse.co.uk/
They have the largest inventory of old sheet music, both used and new, that I have found.
Walt

#57274 - 02/26/04 02:21 PM Re: Old Sheet Misic
Pete Dale Offline

Hi Heather and Walt

Thank you for the responses I know what you mean about the music books like everyone else I have loads of repeats in them but never the one you want Wish I didn’t need the sheet Music and always admired anyone that could play with and without it. Back in the UK a few years ago we were members of an Organ/keyboard society and artistes would give a professional 2 hour performance with no sheet music for most of the time one young woman Chio Sunamoto during her warm-up session played the theme music (Star Trek Next Generation) wearing thin cotton gloves. Wow! Unbelievable

Old sheet music is worth something to someone I noticed on the http://www.sheetmusicwarehouse.co.uk that some titles that I had in the 60s were now £18 GBP to buy it only cost me 4 shillings in the 60s pre-decimal (sorry if you are not from the UK) so I would check them out Heather you may not get rich but its better than nothing
Regards
Pete

#57275 - 02/26/04 11:06 PM Re: Old Sheet Misic
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
Hi Pete,

Mark went shopping with a friend on Wednesday and they stopped at our local music store. Before I go any further, consider that we haven't brought sheet music for about six months. You can imagine their surprise when they saw some single scores priced at nearly 20GBPs.

I haven't checked it with Michie or Mark yet but I wonder if FACT (Federation Against Copyright Theft) would take any action if somebody scanned a score and sent it as a JPG image to somebody else.

Pause for thought...

Lucy

#57276 - 02/27/04 01:41 AM Re: Old Sheet Misic
Pete Dale Offline

Hi Mark & Michelle

£20 seems expensive but I suppose it depends on the complexity of the score etc the last Original sheet music I purchased was “Here With Me” DIDO £3.50 there is no text on the pages referring to copyright however on “The Air That I Breathe” sheet music it states” Reproducing this music in any form is illegal and forbidden by copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988” sometimes people may need to photocopy their own music because its easier to see the whole score rather than turning over the many pages but we should not really copy it but copyrighting is a complex issue and this topic as been covered many times on the forum As we all know companies have very skilled people out there in a bid to try and stop the copying of their music, software etc however there are equally clever people out there trying to get around there systems so it’s a constant battle.

Regards
Pete

#57277 - 02/27/04 03:01 AM Re: Old Sheet Misic
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
[QUOTE]on the complexity of the score etc the last Original sheet music I purchased was “Here With Me” DIDO £3.50 [QUOTE

Maybe the next link is interesting. The price for sheetmusic inclusif txt(keyboard, piano,Es instruments) is €3,10 and for a year subcrition (15 titles including a free style for your keyboard model) €27,50

website is : www.megapop.nl

A brief translations for those who don't understand Dutch.

At the main page wait for a few seconds (first they offering the songs in easy album)
then the home screen appears.
Here is the latest score. Which you can hear in mp3 by pressing speaker.

By scrolling down (or click on one of the blue lines indicating keyboard, piano etc) you find some samples of the music.

At the left site you find at the bottom "styles" only for subcribers but a little father "klik hier" a sample of a style for all kinds of keyboards.

"megapop uitgave" give a screen (alfabeticly)
of already published ones)

rgds.
Willem

#57278 - 02/27/04 04:11 AM Re: Old Sheet Misic
Joe Baron Offline

Loc: England
Hi Pete Send me an email and I will search for the tittles you want.
Sincerely.
Joe Baron

#57279 - 02/27/04 04:33 AM Re: Old Sheet Misic
shcox Offline

Hi Pete,

No I'm not from the UK. I'm in Florida US. But there is no reason to be sorry. LOL

I know that some old sheet music is most likely valuable but it's like record albums there can be so many variation that if you don't know what you are doing you don't really have a clue. I have all the original Beatle Albums but so does every one else. I may look into the selling the music if I ever get the time.

I do use Easy Play (Big Note) music to play only because I found it's easier than remembering the chords. Quite often I'll get a song in my head, I'll go homes and just sit down and play it after a few minutes of working out the chords and the melody but two weeks later I may need to do it all over again. But I still can't read the notes on the staff especially if there is more than 1. LOL I use the note letters.

Best Wishes
Heather

#57280 - 02/27/04 04:40 AM Re: Old Sheet Misic
shcox Offline

Hi Lucy,

As for copying sheet music, In the US courts have consistantly upheld the right of a person to copy something for there own use as long as they have the original. You just can't give it to anyone or let others use it unless you give them the original also.

So scanning sheet music is not a problem but sending it to some one else could cost you up to $10000 and 10 years in jail in the US.

That make $24.95 for a book of music seem inexpensive. LOL

Take Care,
Heather

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online