SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#51797 - 07/21/03 02:14 PM KN Keyboards not consistent in functionality!
Neil Bennett Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA
It's often frustrating to discover that a mid-range KN model will do things that its flagship relative will not! The KN1400/1600 "Intro On" can be stored in Panel Memory and saved to disk; this setting can be recalled exactly. The KN5000/6500 cannot do this! Intro settings are not saved; only Synchro Start and Count Intro. I often forget which Intro I want to use for a particular registration, and don't always remember to make a note of it. Why can't the keyboard remember it for me? Has the KN7000 made any advances in this direction?

Neil Bennett

#51798 - 07/21/03 04:26 PM Re: KN Keyboards not consistent in functionality!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
The 'Intro On' is not stored in Panel Memory on the KN7000. It can be saved in a Sequence recording, by including 'Current Panel' in the file save options.
I may be wrong, but, would it not cause problems if 'Intro On' was stored in a panel memory? Every time the particular memory location was selected, it would trigger the 'Intro' or 'Ending' which may not be desirable

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#51799 - 07/22/03 04:03 AM Re: KN Keyboards not consistent in functionality!
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Neil,

The key, as Willum points out, is that this is one of the 'current panel' settings. This means that if you save your settings to a file on SD (or floppy) and use the default 'Performance' settings, then your selected intro will also be saved (as the current panel is saved by default).

When I work on a song I set up the settings I want in Panel Memories, and then when I am ready to save to SD (which I do frequently) I follow these steps:

1. Select the first panel memory for the song - usually A1.
2. Set synchro & break ON.
3. Set music style arranger OFF - that's so I can use fill-ins without MSA changing variations or memories.
4. Select required intro (1 or 2).
5. Save file using the default Performance settings.

Then whenever I load that file from SD the correct intro is automatically set, so it is instantly ready to play.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mike

#51800 - 07/22/03 04:09 AM Re: KN Keyboards not consistent in functionality!
Neil Bennett Offline

Loc: Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
...it would trigger the 'Intro' or 'Ending' which may not be desirable

Hi Bill

I'm not sure what you mean by "trigger". If you mean that by selecting a Panel Mem. with a stored Intro/Ending would start the rhythm, then that does not happen. I don't see how simply storing the desired Intro into Panel Mem. can cause a problem. As I said, the KN1600 can do this, and without "triggering" anything, desirable or not.

#51801 - 07/22/03 12:24 PM Re: KN Keyboards not consistent in functionality!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
OK Neil - point taken about the KN1600 having the facility. It just seemed to me, that if you were playing a tune and then selected the Panel Memory location which had the 'Intro' / 'Ending' programmed into it, this would activate the Ending sequence, when all you wanted to do was select the voices which were set up in that Panel Memory

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online