SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#58233 - 06/09/03 02:17 AM Throbbing Strings/Voices
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Strings and choral voices in electronic keyboards have an inherent "throbbing" or "pulsating" sound and I would like to get rid of it. It is an unnatural effect. It almost sounds like "Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow". The sound of a real string section in an orchestra does not "throb". I've tried everything I know to turn it off (chorus, vibrato etc.), but no luck. Is there a setting that can be changed to eliminate the effect? It detracts from the music being played if you have to sustain a chord for a full measure or more. Thanks for any help.

Warm Regards,

Chuck

[This message has been edited by Chuck Piper (edited 06-09-2003).]

#58234 - 06/09/03 01:05 PM Re: Throbbing Strings/Voices
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I know what you mean Chuck. Having turned off all effects, I thought at first it was an effect of beat frequencies between the two or more component parts of a voice - one voice being slightly detuned compared with the other. However, on investigating the Symphonic Strings in the sound editor and turning off the Mercato component, the 'Wow Wow...' effect you describe is still there and what's more, it's also there on the Classical Strings component. It's also worse on some notes than others. My conclusion is that it must be in the original sample

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#58235 - 06/09/03 02:42 PM Re: Throbbing Strings/Voices
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
It "Wow, Wow, Wow, Wow". The sound of a real string section in an orchestra does not "throb".
Hi Chuck, I don't know how correct your wow, wow, statement is. First let me establish myself as failure in sound editing. Everytime I work on an instrument the original always sounds much better.
Two things;
1-I am a piano tuner. When I tune, I listen to beats--wow, wow. Whenever the lower tones are played there are many more noticeable wild beats. In a large auditorum the sound bouces from wall to wall causing the wow,wow. Normally beats occur when two instruuments producing a sound are 100% identical. The more they differ, the more you beats you hear. So beats are realistic. I am not disturb by beats, just the warmth of the strings. I just sat for a while and played the KN7000 srings, they sound good.

2-Enough of that stuff---When I use srings as a backround sound, I keep them as low as possible. I just want a slight effect. The wow, wow you talk about are there. Those wow, wow are needed when they are being played out front. However when soft backround strings are playing, the wow's are not desireable. So I always play them softly. Hmmmm, I don't know if I'm helping here.

How's it go; you gotta take the bitter with the better.
Take good care, John C

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 06-09-2003).]

#58236 - 06/09/03 03:52 PM Re: Throbbing Strings/Voices
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
the artifact you hear is probally due to looped samples[poor loops at that]..you can edit all you want, without success..

#58237 - 06/09/03 05:09 PM Re: Throbbing Strings/Voices
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Bill, John, and Fran,

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for responding.

Bill, I did think about frequencies beating against each other, thus producing the oscillating or pulsating sound we hear. I wonder how and where samples are taken. Is it possible Technics uses single violin samples, then manipulates them or processs them to create a string section effect rather than sampling the string section of an orchestra? Wish I knew. Meanwhile, I will have to live with the sounds as they are.

All of you take care.

Chuck

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online