SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#62218 - 05/28/03 02:46 AM Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Hello Everyone. My 6500 is at the Doctors.
It occasionally gives a loud "crack" when I am playing it or when a disk is playing. Of course, like a child, its symptoms disappear at the Doctors - They have had it two weeks and tested it thoroughly but it has not misbehaved. The "crack' is very intermittent --only happened about 6 times in 12 months
I remember someone on the forum had
a similar problem and am hoping it was posted by a regular reader who may be able to throw some light on this.
Could the cause be the electrical circuits in the house? I also have a Roland G800-- a PSR2000--- and an Atelier Organ which show no problems and are all on the same circuits. Could the Technics be more sensitive? This is above my head -I'm not clued up on electronics. Any suggestions would be welcone. My 6500 is my No 1 Keyboard and I need it at home.! Cheers Jean.

#62219 - 05/28/03 05:13 AM Re: Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Jean,
it happens sometimes in my KNXXXX (even the KN7000). I had probably the same loud 'crack'. I discovered that it was caused by the electric circuit in the house. Sometimes when the heating or computer is switched on (which are on the same electrical circuit) you can hear sometimes a heavy 'crack' in the keyboard when you are playing. It causes further no problems and it happens just a little few times. Maybe technicians among us can give us a hint if it is to be avoid (except throwing away the heating )...?
Kind regards,
Cees.

[This message has been edited by cees (edited 05-28-2003).]

#62220 - 05/28/03 08:01 AM Re: Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hello Jean,
I cured a similar type of problem on one of my earlier keyboards (think it was a KN3000) by fitting a mains filter in the supply to the keyboard. You should be able to get one of these devices in Auz, from an electrical retailer. In UK, we can buy a standard mains outlet socket, already fitted with a filter and just replace the socket which is used for the keyboard.
The fact that the fault refuses to show up at your dealer's, would suggest that the problem exists at your home.

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 05-28-2003).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#62221 - 05/28/03 10:36 AM Re: Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Jean, all this talk just leads to stress. Go buy a seven and be done with it.

Grandpa Doug

#62222 - 05/28/03 11:22 AM Re: Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Jean, Small thought. Change ALL the wires. it's always the first step in solving. I've had a friend work for hours trying to slove a problem only to find his midi wire was in the output instead of the imput. Small thought.

John C.

#62223 - 05/29/03 07:23 AM Re: Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Hi!
All of my various keyboards over the years have done much the same thing when at home due to freezers and fridges cutting in and out. NEVER on gigs though, unless I'm set up too close to the beer coolers. I think your "Doctors" may be taking you for a ride, as they say.
Hope I'm wrong.

Trevor John

#62224 - 05/29/03 05:10 PM Re: Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
Jean Olivia Offline

Thank you all for your replies. It does seem as though the problem is "home" based.
Bill-- The filter sounds a good idea and I am going to discuss it with an Electrician. It may be the solution.
Cees-- It is reassuring to know others have had a similar problem. i also have a very noisy fridge which makes quite a noise clicking on and off, not to mention computers and air conditioners.
Bruno and Trevor, I have checked all wires and Trevor - Theres no chance of anyone taking me for a ride-The keyboard is still under guarantee but the Techs I take it to are very helpful guys anyway and have checked it all over for me. It is their suggestion that it could be in the circuits at home.
Dear old Douglas. I know you love your 700, but you are a big strong man and I am only a fairly small lady and I can't lift the darn thing. The 6500 is really too heavy for me to cart around and that is the reason I have bought a PSR2000 that I can tuck under my arm. I am travelling around Australia next July and it will be the one I am taking with me. Nevertheless the 6500 is the keyboard I do all my arrangements on. It is just too heavy for a lady!!! Thank you all for your help- I know I can always rely on you guys. Cheers.Jean.

#62225 - 05/30/03 05:27 AM Re: Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
Bazza Offline

Loc: Mannum SA AUSTRALIA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jean Olivia:
[B]Hello Everyone. My 6500 is at the Doctors.
Hi Jean,
If you are travelling round Australia, call in and see us at Mannum SA.
Regards Barry

#62226 - 06/02/03 05:48 AM Re: Help! 6500 in Hospital !!
Jean Olivia Offline

Bazza. Thanks for the invite. I will E-mail you if and when we head off. Cheers. Jean.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online