SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#58180 - 12/28/02 02:24 PM Filing System
Anonymous
Unregistered

HELP!!
I spent the better part of a week building a filing system on SD for my collection of musical goodies. After completing (74mb) of files I found that I did not like the folder sort.
Using the computer as I have always done with the 6000 I changed the folder location by altering the last to numerals of the file names(TFLDO25). I saved the origional content of the SD prepared on the 7000 to CD.
The files when sent back to the SD on the computer look great but the files are empty on the 7000. The same thing happens with the files I backed up on CD.

My only recovery is to open the files on the computer which gives me no titles but all numbered files, send to floppy and then to SD on the 7000 and have to rename all the numbered files, if I can find them.

I have tried on two computers. 98SE and XP.

As they say in Florida....."I am up to my butt in a swamp full of aligators" (or something like that)

Lets get back to a discussion of preparing files on the SD.

Question: I find no way to sort or re-arrange folders on the 7000....is there??

Hopefully Alec will have a big chapter in his upcoming KN 7000 novel about filing systems.

Happy New Year,

Fran in Florida

#58181 - 12/28/02 03:00 PM Re: Filing System
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Did you ever do a backup using Song Manager?
I found that brought everything back.

I think I remember Alec mentioning you couldn't do it via computer the way you tried. It seems like it should work, but obviously won't. I can imagine your frustration, I hope you haven't attacked your KN7000! I'm sure it's tempting.

I only brought up the Song Manager backup because if you had that you could bring it back and not have to start from scratch. It won't help you rearrange your files to your liking of course.

I agree on hoping Alec's book has some help and some hints on the SD card. The book sure skimped. I suspect the main problem is the software supplied with the KN is extremely limited unless you buy the expensive software that has been mentioned.

Marilyn

#58182 - 12/28/02 07:59 PM Re: Filing System
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Fran,
The problem is that when you add files from the floppy to the Kn7000, and then save them to the SD card, the Keyboard also writes an index of the files and where they are located on the SD card. The file is named KN7000MN.INF
When you rename or shift things around using the PC, the index no longer points to the right places.
The file is an ordinary text file and you can rewrite it using notepad, or better yet, a hex editor, but it is tricky and not easy because the file is not delimited by commas or any other means.
A normal data base would have commas or some such thing between the elements of information, but not this one!
It depends entirely on how many character spaces are allotted to each title, etc, and if you miss a space or have one too many, then the whole thing is screwed up.
Iv'e done it, but it requires a lot of counting and a lot of "cut and try".
This is where we need a good piece of software for the PC that would build the .INF file.
ARE THERE ANY SOFTWARE ENGINEERS OUT THERE?????? HEAR'S A CHALLENGE FOR YOU. ALL OF US WOULD BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.

#58183 - 12/28/02 09:40 PM Re: Filing System
rmcouat Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC Canada
ARE THERE ANY SOFTWARE ENGINEERS OUT THERE?????? HEAR'S A CHALLENGE FOR YOU. ALL OF US WOULD BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.

I happen to be a software engineer that still actively works (too much sometimes) that also owns as of last week a KN7000. The laptop I use in my consulting partnership a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 happens to have an SD card slot built in on the side of it. Isn't that a sweet combination of devices - the SD card plugs into the PC and looks like a removeable drive as in E: and then is ejected and plugged back into the KN7000.

By the way the install of the drivers was a pain - Windows XP fights with you and insists on installing Microsoft drivers which will not work.

I presume a utility for managing the INF file based on what is in the directory structure would be what the doctor ordered - I presume most of you are using some sort of SD reader/writer device plugged into USB or something like that?

Let me know the spec on what you would like and I will see what I can accomplish - I could use this too hehehe.

Ron

#58184 - 12/29/02 06:53 AM Re: Filing System
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ron,

I and many others have managed files that were on floppies. We were able to put the data in a computer and re-arrange and combine in the file structure we liked and send back to floppy with no trouble. We dealt with file names, not numbers, that we could itentify with. I have tried the Hex Editor route and that is far beyond my computer knowledge.

Technics produced a wonderful keyboard but when they changed the technolgy (Floppy to SD) they left a lot of us old timers in the dark.

If you or someone else could create a program so that we could edit the 7000 SD format as we did with floppies......MY CHECK IS IN THE MAIL.

Fran in Florida

#58185 - 12/29/02 10:32 AM Re: Filing System
rmcouat Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC Canada
OK so taking a quick look at this I did the following to get some files on the included 8 MB SD device.

Took volume 1 of Bebop's 20 for 1 distribution (I can finally play those wonderful files) and copied to floppy then used the SD Mzanager on the 7000 and copied the floppy disk to SD folder 1

I then put the SD back in the laptop and copied the KN7000MN.INF file to the harddrive.

Did the same again with Volume 2 to folder 2 and took the file again.

This way I can see how the file is building up with information.

The sad thing is the floppy file names still appear in the various folders just like they did on the floppies when copied across the way I did. It seems to me the .INF file is just a small database mapping names assigned at the keyboard to file names in the various folders. Possibly it was thought of a way to optimize the listing of files - by folder, by number, by alphabet. The hex editor approach is far too difficult to use. I think what is needed is after all the files have been placed in folders using the SD device in a PC the way you want, a program that reads the SD directories and allows you to assign names to the files in a GUI that would then construct the .INF file would be exactly what is wanted.

Even after limited use I have found the software in the KN7000 slow at copying files between floppy and SD. The SongManager using USB is also very slow compared to what I would expect the hardware to be capable of.

Ron

#58186 - 12/29/02 08:59 PM Re: Filing System
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
In my last post I said:
"The file is named KN7000MN.INF"
"The file is an ordinary text file".
I'm sorry -- the file is not an ordinary text file. I was thinking of something else at the time.

RON ---
As you get further into this file it presents more information than just a "name" data base. For instance, the last two bytes of each song file designate what parts of the file have been saved and what to load. Example:
Performance:7F 20
Sound memory only:10 00
Sequencer only:04 20
and so forth.
I haven't figured out yet what the information following the 16 byte name means, but it seems to change depending on whether the composer pattern comes from the KN7000 ROM or from the custom memory.
Anyway, good luck.
Walt

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online