SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#47234 - 10/19/02 09:41 AM A Question For Alec
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Alec
I have followed the thread on long file names very closely.
I have installed all the KN7000 software into my PC but could you please explain the difference between file strings And file names on the KN7000.

I have been told categorically that you cannot drag files directly to the SD card so could you please explain how you have achieved or done this.

#47235 - 10/19/02 06:00 PM Re: A Question For Alec
technicsplayer Offline

I described it already in http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/001051.html
The 7000 displays long filenames from sd, its main media, but generates them from floppy file names you never see on the 7k once you have renamed everything. To most users this will be invisible because if you load from one sd card then save to another card, or backup, merge and restore sd cards all you will ever see are long filenames in the 7k screen - except individual customs which have never been long.

This is exactly the same as the case with the hard drives which displayed long file names derived invisibly from floppy type names - except you could not save individual customs on the hard drives at all, on sd you can. But you could not save a long file name out from the hard drive onto floppy although you could load long file names in from floppy if you created them in the ttx program first, but only to the hard drive, you could not see the long filenames from floppy load only from floppy copy. If you had the techmanager program the long file names you had written could be backed up from the hard drive and restored to an SD card with great flexbility using the data manager program up to the 16 character limit. This solves the problem of maintaining hard drive long file names when copying to the sd card.

Strings is a computer programming term for a text shown instead of another filename, thus all the programmable naming info in the screen is derived from strings. Both on hard disk backups and on sd cards you have easy access to the naming so can alter the long file names shown in the keyboard screen on the computer. Hard disk naming was individual for each file, sd naming is all conveniently together in one file for all the technics files, so editing them without any techmanager type program is rather easier.

The startup problem is copying your existing floppies to sd since floppies do not have long file names in the first place. The names have to be written on the 7k. This is time consuming so I edited the file on the sd card that converts the floppy file names into the long file names that appear in the screen. It was very much easier typing the names in this file on the laptop than loading, renaming and saving each individual file on the 7k, and saved an enormous amount of time.

It is possible to drag files directly to the card because the next step was to create the folder structure of the sd card on the laptop on a blank card, drag my 6k files into a series of folders, and drag a naming file and edit it with the correct information to display correctly in the screen. Thus I created a complete long file name sd card on the laptop directly without using the 7k or song manager at all, and much faster than the existing methods. This was to prove it was possible because I wanted to wrap this in a windows program that would allow re-naming on the computer rather than the long process of individual re-naming on the 7k. After proving that this and other useful functions are possible on the laptop I sent the information to technics as a suggestion since this would make a great add-on program for the 7k. Midi files and programmable playlists will be much the same principles.

The 7000.com site has many hundreds of individual custom styles available for download. There is no need at all to put these on a floppy and load into the 7k and then save these to sd card. To put these on a blank sd card all you need to do is make a path Private\Technics\Kn7000\Custom and drag the files into the Custom folder with explorer. They show up fine in the 7k screen ready for loading along with their long file names. If you have no indivdual customs on your card yet, just normal files, create the Custom folder in the Kn7000 folder on the pc and drag the files there. Thus it is very easy to arrange your own full customs with whatever combinations of styles you like from these without using a floppy at all, then save it with a long file name.

In the same way it is possible to load pictures into the 7k directly from an SD camera by just taking the card from the camera and plugging it in the 7k. But if you have a compact flash, smart media or memory stick camera it is equally possible to load your pictures by just dragging them to the sd card on the laptop in the correct folder structure using explorer and load them direct without using floppies or song manager. This is a super fast way of getting music scores in the screen.

#47236 - 10/20/02 12:21 PM Re: A Question For Alec
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Thank You Alec
I have copied the customs in explorer like you said and it works fine! I copied the downloaded customs directly to the card. Looked at this naming file and can see what you mean.
Regards
Johnnie

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online