SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#53844 - 10/06/02 10:37 AM K7 has arrived at dealers
tonykn7000 Offline

Loc: Colchester , Essex , UK
I was very busy Saturday doing all jobs that
the wife has going on about so I will be feel
to set up the K7 and start playing with out any interruptions. I was so busy I did't check the phone for any calls when I did at
17.45 the dealer had left message to say the K7 was ready for collection so I missed the chance to collect over the weekend, what a £$&@£??? thing to happen. the real point of this topic is I need to improve my playing so as to do justice to the K7. Can anyone give me the top five or even ten best ways to improve playing and sightreading and remembering a song and are playing scales a big part to do with improving

Best regards

Tony
Essex UK

#53845 - 10/06/02 12:04 PM Re: K7 has arrived at dealers
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Can anyone give me the top five or even ten best ways to improve playing.

First Five
Practise, Practise, Practise, Practise, and Practise.
Second Five
Could add another 10!!!
Success. Walter.

[This message has been edited by Walter McLaren (edited 10-06-2002).]

#53846 - 10/06/02 12:18 PM Re: K7 has arrived at dealers
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Walter McLaren:

And when you have finished that you can then Practice

#53847 - 10/06/02 12:19 PM Re: K7 has arrived at dealers
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Tony,

Guess I will be the first to reply to your request for ways to improve your playing skills. I speak as a novice keyboardist and can say that only through hard work am I able to gradually improve my skills.

I have found that playing scales is the only way to acquire agility, independence, strength, and evenness in the fingers. There is no way I could hope to play improvisations without those fingering qualities. I play scales every day for about 20 minutes before beginning my normal practice. I am using the "Hanon Virtuoso Pianist" book of exercises, but any book recommended by your dealer will be fine. In my view there is no substitute or shortcut way to acquire playing technique. Playing scales is essential.

Sightreading is a skill that takes quite some time to acquire. There are sightreading books available if you want to purchase them. But if you have "easy" level books of music, they will do just as well. I pick up an "easy" book and just play page after page, almost non-stop, mistakes and all, and I find my sightreading ability is gradually improving.

Remembering tunes is something I found difficult at first. My approach has been to play my repertoire of songs every day and in that way I refresh my memory constantly. I haven't committed many songs to memory yet. I've concentrated on just learning to play. David Ash, who writes for Keyboard Player magazine, wrote two books in the mid-80's. One was titled "How to Play Keyboards by Ear" and the other "How to Remember Music". I don't know if they are still in print. Your local bookstore could check for you. The ISBN number for the first book (playing by ear) is 0-9509477-3-3 and the ISBN number for the latter book(remembering music) is 0-9509477-1-7. If I were you I would send David an e-mail and ask him if he still has copies available if your bookstore cannot obtain them. They are excellent, easy to understand books.

Finally, I tried learning to play on my own and was not very successful. Just before Christmas last year I engaged a music teacher. My playing skills are improving significantly because I am receiving proper instruction and the pressure of having to have a lesson ready forces me to practice hard. I find I am enjoying my music so much more because I can play pieces I couldn't have attempted a year ago. I have a KN6000/EW65 with all the footswitches, the expression pedal and the Technote Organ Workstation. My teacher knows Technics keyboards and how to use all the accessories and he is teaching me to use the organ pedals as well, so I am also playing organ music. Its great fun. I strongly recommend formal instruction from a competent music teacher rather than trying to learn on your own. You will progress much faster and enjoy your music more. Also, you will not pick up bad habits that are hard to break or which restrict your playing ability as you inevitably will if you try to learn on your own.

Hope this helps, Tony. Take care.

Chuck

#53848 - 10/06/02 12:24 PM Re: K7 has arrived at dealers
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Again,

I see Walter and Johnnie responded while I was composing my piece for you so I am not the first to respond, but I second their advice. There is simply no substitute for practice. Work hard!

Chuck

#53849 - 10/06/02 12:27 PM Re: K7 has arrived at dealers
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
and even more practise

#53850 - 10/06/02 03:18 PM Re: K7 has arrived at dealers
Walter McLaren Offline

From Atomica Dictionary, a super freebie..
prac·tise (prãk'tĭs)
v. & n. Chiefly British.
Variant of practice.
Atomica available at www.atomica.com/solutions_products_pc.html

End of Spelling Bee
Walter.

#53851 - 10/06/02 03:59 PM Re: K7 has arrived at dealers
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
yes wallta it is a luverly sight
that aurtomita
jan

[This message has been edited by kozykeys (edited 10-06-2002).]

#53852 - 10/07/02 10:25 AM Re: K7 has arrived at dealers
Walter McLaren Offline

Hi Jan,
are you sure you spelt your name right???
Walter.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online