SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40431 - 09/06/02 03:47 PM A question about the Technics PR line.
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
A group of old-timers bought a Technics SXPR53 for their community clubhouse under bad advice from the only one who could play the thing, and now that person is no longer there to play it. The dealer that sold them the box told them to get in touch with me and I would be able to help them out because I had a Technics also. More bad advice! This ugly thing is the low-end product of Technics Piano Ensemble line of PR's, and does practically nothing but take up space, although it attempts to sound like it's more expensive cousins, the keyboards. If I could supply some styles or sequenced songs for the unit, it would help considerably, but I don't think the units are compatible with the kn6+ series, unlike the PR903 which will play the kn6+ disks. Has anyone had any experience with these units, and maybe figured out some way to interchange the two styles? Would the new kn7000 be able to convert the different formats to a single usable format? I kind of think the old folks will be left holding the proverbial bag. It seems strange that a kn6k can play converted styles from other manufacturers, but lacks the programming to play earlier Technics formats. Any help or answers would be appreciated.

#40432 - 09/07/02 02:48 AM Re: A question about the Technics PR line.
technicsplayer Offline

It is just an entirely different product.

Digital pianos are made for 2 markets, those for trained piano players who just want a replacement for an acoustic piano with no tuning needed etc, and generally get a few extra harpsichord or string voices thrown in, and those that want a piano action but also with rhythms and more voices thrown in.

These are only similar to keyboards in the fact that they have rhythms and voices. The cabinet, speakers, weighted and graded keyboard and large piano samples are designed for piano playback first and foremost, the rest is extras.

The keyboard is designed as an easy play workstation, period. The 65 was the first product with a piano sample equivalent to the high end pianos.

The disks and formats etc were never designed for compatability or ever promised to be compatible - basically different products for different markets.

#40433 - 09/07/02 05:01 PM Re: A question about the Technics PR line.
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Thanks, Alec. I didn't think any interchange was possible, but thought I'd better ask. I guess those folks should draw straws to see which of them takes piano lessons.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online