SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47976 - 05/26/02 08:51 PM Blues and Jazz chords
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
To all my musician gurus! Recently I heard a recording of an "oldies" group called the Four Freshman (probably from the 50's or so) and they sang a song called (I think) "It's a Blue World". Anyway, their harmonies were incredibly lovely and their four voices blended into some unusual chord combinations. It got me wondering if blues songs use different chord formations than the usual major, dominant seventh, etc. chords. Does anyone have any musical knowledge about blues and/or jazz variations to the usual "vanilla" chords?? (How I wish I knew so much more about harmony, etc. ) Thanks for any information you can provide! Happy playing, friends!

Ted Rose

#47977 - 05/27/02 12:11 AM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
The blues scale uses fltted 3rd 5th and 7th
but in not usually all together, if this helps at all

jan

#47978 - 05/27/02 09:22 AM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
"Blue World" is one of the best examples of 4 part harmony out there, but it's hardly a blues song. The changes are not as "static" and there are many passing tones that give it that special flavor. Listen closely, and disect the changes .... they're beautiful.

#47979 - 05/27/02 10:39 AM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Ted,

There are a number of books that have excellent chord substitutions/changes. One that is readily available is the Hal Leonard HL00240073, JAZZ BIBLE FAKE BOOK “The Swing Era”. One of the 200 songs in it is “It’s A Blue World”.

Frank

#47980 - 05/27/02 09:06 PM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks to all of you who replied here in the Forum and via e-mail. Every day I seem to learn something new and it is indeed NOT a "blue world" for me but a rainbow-tinted one filled with the magic of music!

Ted Rose

#47981 - 05/28/02 10:34 AM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
I have a book, which I cannot find at the moment, which explains chord variations and progressions, calling them, "The Vehicle for Jazz". Does this ring a bell to anyone?.
Walter.

[This message has been edited by Walter McLaren (edited 05-28-2002).]

#47982 - 05/29/02 10:39 AM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
Lindoz Offline

Loc: Torshalla, Sweden
Hi Ted
Funny that you heard a song from Four Freshmen. They were some gurus for me on the 60:s, in harmoniesinging. The most spectacular with them is that they don´t keep their given harmonies all the time. They change harmonies between each others during their singing. Very oustanding and very difficult, I promise. I have about 10 old vinyl LP and som EP:s too, with them.

About Blues. The harmonies is very hard to explain in letters. They use a lot of 7th, 9th together with sometimes, disharmonic notes. Our sitefriend here, Bill Norrie, sent me an MP3 file of "At last", for about a year ago. That was a good exampel in how they could made some bluesfeeling with male and female voices of this old Millersong. If Bill read this, he maybe can send a file of the song to you.
I belive that the advice you got here, about some notebooks, it´s a good choice and a way to began.
Lindoz

#47983 - 05/31/02 02:47 PM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Lindoz. From what I am learning at school at the moment I understand that Jazz Harmony is built on the Harmonic Minor Scale and its chord extensions - 9-11-13ths and this results in all the "unusual" chords that you mention. There are lots of jazz theory sites that deal with this on-line. The Blues scale has only 6 notes and for best effect is played over Major Scale Chords which results in the "Blues" sound. I am at the beginning of my studies in this but someone with more knowledge may be able to add to this. Jazz Harmony modulates very quickly in and out of Harmonic Minor and Major keys pivotting on common chords so there are endless opportunities for harmony.Popular music on the other hand uses Major and the Natural Minor scale.This is the basis of what I am learning at the moment -the chords can get very involved to play as you have to keep the root in the base or split the chord up amongst the band but you can use any notes of the chord for vocal harmony which makes it easier. Thats just my two bobs worth if iit helps.Cheers Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 05-31-2002).]

#47984 - 05/31/02 03:21 PM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Jean, you must have read the book, which I have found, as what you say is as the author states. It is called Modern Improvisation and Harmony, by Alan Phillips, Copyright 1961. He has a companion Book,Jazz Improvisation and Harmony, that I don't have, not that it matters as I don't understand this one!!!
Walter.

#47985 - 06/02/02 04:53 PM Re: Blues and Jazz chords
Lindoz Offline

Loc: Torshalla, Sweden
Jean
I´m not so sure that you find the "secrets" of jazz or blues in a book. I´ve played a lot of jazz and blues in my life, but most on guitar or Hammond organ. If you don´t have the "feeling" inside, you will never find the right chords. There´s one thing to read something in the book and another to find out how you can use it when playing. But the only way is to practise and practise all over.
Good luck
Lindoz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online