SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#385196 - 02/24/14 08:19 PM INBOARD (PRESET) PATTERNS IN TECHNICS KEYBOARDS
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Greetings, everyone -

Since this forum is slowing down to almost stopping with posts, I thought I would make a few of you sit up and take offense with what I have to say regarding the styles in the Technics keyboards. Truthfully, I have never been able to use any of them and make them sound anywhere close to being believable as accompaniment.

After all these years, I decided to have fun (more of frustration) loading style after style from an SD card that I have of all the keyboards made from the KN1000 - KN2600. Not a one could be used sensibly in any song that sounded even close to what a group of musicians would sound like. They were purely put in as they are for selling the keyboards. Hitting a simple C chord and listening to the pattern, one is taken into believing that it is good. Well, it sounds sort of good but try using it with playing various chords in a song. It sounds like hell. Many of the styles have the chord done in a major 7th and right off, that causes problems with playing even the slightest deep harmony. The bass line doesn't fit anywhere correctly because in the pattern, they have played it all over the map and this will clearly give you an understanding why the bass doesn't sound right when you hit certain chord harmony.

To make things even worse, the chord placement in all the patterns is so wrongly positioned that a simple chord change from C to a G7th, you can hear the chord played in a very unnatural position and sounding too high. No one plays this way.

I truly pity the poor KN keyboard player that doesn't know how to use Composer to go in and figure out how to use the ideas or close to the ideas that were put in the style for a song to sound half way decent. Playing the way the styles are done in the keyboard in a song, I laughed several times with how things sounded for I found it that bad.

The only thing good about some of these styles are the IDEAS put in them. You can take from them and make the necessary changes to end up with a song sounding right.

What I find mind boggling is the placement of the instruments used in the patterns. Quite often, a strumming guitar will be so far right that in reality, it would sound off a stage. Who plays like this! Picture a group on stage and the guitarist over on the far right and not seen by the audience, strumming to the group playing center stage.

I put a great deal of time in all my Composer styles for them to sound professional in any song. I can compose a bass line that will work with any song, regardless of style. You can't even come close to doing one song from the preset styles in the keyboard and make the bass fall in the right position for the chord harmony.

This post is not meant to anger anyone but to open up thoughts that you might have with trying to use just the styles in the keyboard.

Mark

#385307 - 02/26/14 12:58 AM Re: INBOARD (PRESET) PATTERNS IN TECHNICS KEYBOARDS [Re: kitkat]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Mmm interesting.
I use specific song styles obtained from everywhere for all the songs that I play on my KN7000 so have no experience of what you are describing.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online