SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#332876 - 10/25/11 03:38 AM The KN 7000 is still up to date?
HarryG Offline

Loc: Germany
The KN 7000 is now almost 10 years old. Again and again the question arises whether the sound of the instruments can compete with the Tyros 3 or 4, the 3 or PAX 3 or Audya.

Theoretically, a lot can be cited. What is the practice?
I have chosen two examples.
The song "Il Silenzio" played with the Tyros 3 (Silver Trumpet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rn1tCiC024&feature=related

and played by me with the KN 7000 (solo trumpet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw49IqQWW5o

When you hear the difference?

#332877 - 10/25/11 06:12 AM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: HarryG]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The tyros 3 was never one of Yamahas best instruments, (Apart from the SA2 voices its quality of sound left a lot to be desired compared to the Tyros 2) so it’s hardly surprising that the KN7000 sounds good in comparison, however in spite of this the quality of the sound of the KN7000 is still pretty good in comparison to most modern boards.

If however you compare it to a Tyros 2 or 4 then the difference does stand out, with the KN7000 showing its age. (The exception is the drums which leave the Tyros 2 drums for dead)

OT: Thanks for posting the links, as both performances were nice to listen too. (Rather than analyse)

Bill

#332885 - 10/25/11 12:31 PM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: HarryG]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi HarryG , thanks for e mailing the two versions .
i thought that they both sounded good ....but to my ears I thought that the Technics had the slight edge (only my humble opinion )

I now have 2 kn7000 keyboards one with all the expansion boards (which I'll be using for my little gigs) the other one at home to practice , since i retired from the day Job I've been having keyboard lessons and really love the challange ( I'll be using the KN7000 with my new light weight acoustic midi accordion which has the Musictech wireless transmitter and the receiver system which is connected to the midi outlet on the Kn7000 .
This will allow me to walk around without the accordion being attached to any cables !!
i have tried many modules /keyboards and for what I want to do the Technics wins everytime . Ease of use , sounds , styles etc .
It may be 10 yrs old but it can more than hold it's own !!!

i also have a stack of Software for the technics . with some wonderful styles and of course all the Technote plus magazines with all the usefull tips !

Just my opinion ........the important thing is to enjoy and have fun with what ever keyboard you play !!

Best regards to you all ..........Giovanni

#332887 - 10/25/11 02:09 PM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: Giovanni]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The question: Why do we compare? And if we do compare why only the trumpet?

I believe that Harry’s post is using the Trumpet comparison to express his love for the Kn7000, in that I am with him completely. I sold my Tyros 1 and 2 because the Kn7000 had one great trumpet sound, the others fell short. It is so good that I created seven other trumpets base on the original trumpet.

Someone here in SynthZone said; (that it is the keyboardist and not the keyboard that makes great music”. I believe that --- But, the newer keyboards offer many new features that help make you sound better when playing a song.

Better?? What is better? Only the individual can make that decision. The aging Kn7000 is still a winner, making comparisons will not take away or add to its reputation. The best way to express your love for the Kn7000 would be to post your song. And please let it be from the Big Band era; that should convince anyone who is listening that it is a winner.

Only my opinion, John C.

PS, The older I get the more opinions I seem to have; it that normal? (smile)

#332891 - 10/25/11 04:27 PM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: HarryG]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I took my Tyros 4 out on a gig last Saturday. It was an important first time event and I'd spent almost three weeks, putting together a mixed programme for a mixed audience, played all through my sets on the Friday which seemd to be o.k. However on Saturday, three times the Italian Waltz 'froze' and I had to turn the keyboard off and on again before I could move to the next dance. Very embarrassing.

I have another first time event next month and believe me! my KN7000 will be the first thing packed in the car. I'm not going through all that hassle with the Tyros again. Today, I put the SD Card in the KN7000 containing most of the tunes I'd played last Saturday. They all loaded instantly and played without a 'hitch' for almost four hours - what a joy!

Comparison? I like the sound of the Tyros 4's pianos, strings, accordions and some organs which are beautiful for Ballads and singalongs but, for me the KN7's clear voices/big bands and 'sharp beat' rhythmic styles cannot be beaten for dancing.

Audrey

#332894 - 10/25/11 05:56 PM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: Audrey Turner]
bruno123 Offline

Audrey,
I can’t help but smile – the story is familiar. I had such a bad time playing a job with the Pa800 that when I got home I put the SD card in my Kn7000 and programed the complete next job; this happened to me twice. Aaaaaaah!

In all fairness to the other brands I have played a Technics keyboard for many years; my movements are without much thought; I know where everything is 2X it is not the same for the Pa800. Having it programed in itself is not complete, it needs some good repetition; (Practice) even though I know the song well.

And so the saga of the Kn7000 continues, John C.

#332919 - 10/26/11 03:32 PM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: HarryG]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
John,
Yes I think you could be right, I had the KN650,5000,6000,6500 and now of course, the KN7000 which is still "my first love". I've also had the Tyros3 for over a year and now the Tyros4 and I have to say the sound system on both is really very good. Playing both the KN7 and the T4 'straight' you CAN hear the difference but when the KN7 is linked to the Yamaha PAS300 (or similar) speaker system, you can barely tell the difference. In fact, depending on the type of music being played, the KN7 is sometimes superior.

I cannot explain why, but I do not get the same pleasure playing the T4 as I do the KN7 - maybe it just suits my style of playing but you have got to admit though, the KN7 is loved by all
who do play it, and there is very little criticism (if any) on it's OS unlike some other instruments.

Whilst writing this, I'm listening to a recording of Misty played on the KN7 about three years ago and it's using the Vibrafone - something which has been updated and is much acclaimed on the T4 and o.k. the T4's version is better than the T3's but it still isn't as good as the KN7s. Yamaha recently put a 'Research Survey' on the net which I think is a very good idea and shows they are at least willing to consider what customer's would like to see on future keyboards. Let's hope their O.S. is their No.1 priority!

Audrey

#332921 - 10/26/11 05:51 PM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: Audrey Turner]
bruno123 Offline

Audrey,
You hit on something that I am now learning. What I have learned cannot be learned until you have a second keyboard to compare.

Most of the comparisons I have heard have been dealing with instrument sounds, ease of use (OS) and clarity. I feel that the answer does not lie in facts and opinions.
The designers of the Kn7000 produced an instrument which fits the needs and desires of a keyboardist. They have emotionally reached the player so that he is satisfied/contented. The new innovations and Mega sounds on the new keyboards pull us away for a period and end in slight dissatisfaction. They like the new keyboards and if they allow the new innovations to dominate they leave. I have taken that trip many times and I have replaced the Kn7000 three times.

Although I recently I placed the Kn7000 for sale my new understanding will make my Kn7000 a keeper. If I may, I’ll borrow a few words that apply from the Bible: “Till death do us part”. (Smile)

Wow, I really took myself on an emotional journey, it must be my age.

Cheers (That has an English touch) (Grin), John C.

#332923 - 10/26/11 06:01 PM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Offline

I owned a Wersi Delta 500 organ; enjoyed it for a period, then sold it, there was no love.

John C.

#332943 - 10/27/11 04:19 PM Re: The KN 7000 is still up to date? [Re: bruno123]
philip2000 Offline

Loc: maryland
where can this survey for yamaha be found?
I'd love to chime in and make them better (since technics isn't in the business anymore ;(

the kn5000 (20 years old?) still does things that the keyboards today are now incorporating in their boards.
that board was so far ahead of its time that it is still relevant today. I don't have a kn7000 but it sounds like it is a great keyboard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online